RECAP

1) Ah, so if I was to modulate to a different key signature, what is the chord I would want to use to do so?

2) Name this chord

e-2
b-0
g-2
d-1
a-2
e-x

2b) What would it resolve to?

3) Give me a formula for finding the major scale

4) What interval is an E to a C? What if you inverted it?

5 )What could I use a diminished chord for?

6) What degree of the major scale does the relative minor base its's root off of?

7) We are in the key of G, please harmonize this in 9ths

e----------------------
b---------------------
G-------------4----5
D--------2------------
A--3--------------
E----------------

8) What is an authentic cadence?
8b)Give me an example of another cadence.

ANSWERS

1.I would generally go to the V7 chord of the I of the new key I wanted to get to. Simple, effective, common. You can't beat the V7-I resolution. Perhaps I would throw a b9 on the V7 for extra tension and release.

e-2 5th
b-0 1st
g-2 b7th
d-1 3rd
a-2 1st
e-x

2b) B7, a bit reduntant....It would resolve to Emaj or E min, assuming nothing funky was going on.

3) wwhwwwh

4) minor 6, inverted becomes a major 3rd

5)One use of a diminished chord is to resolve to a chord a half step above or below it, good voice leading potential. The most common answer here was “To create tension”, which is also acceptable, but seems a bit vague.

6) The 6th degree

7)

e-----------3-------8---------10
b--3---------------------
G-----------------------
D------------------------
A-----------------------
E-------------------------

e-------------------------
b---------------------------
G--------------------4--------5
D-----------2------------
A--3-------------------
E-----------------------

8)An authentic cadence is from the V to the I, but there is also two varieties of this cadence, imperfect and perfect. The imperfect being basically any inversion of the V-I movement, and the perfect being the V-I movement with the root of the chords in both the highest and lowest voices. I believe there may be other exceptions – unfortunately they are not known by me.

8b) Another cadence is the plagal cadence : IV-I, heard often in church music

Let's discuss! I appreciate the enthusiasm given towards this idea. The next quiz is going to be far more difficult, as it's the first true quiz in this fashion. Psychodelia will be responsible for it, huzzah.

Any sort of discussion pertaining to this would be best kept here. From questions, to inquiries on being a part of "The Boyz" etc.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I actually learned a lot from this quiz, and hope to participate in the next one. I wish/hope this is what studying music is like, just like school except doing something you love instead of math/science/english/history. Anyways, great quiz, I learned quite a bit. About the cadences, there's a wiki page on them...if you wanna read up on the exceptions. Surprisingly, most of the questions were easy, and after reading the answers and re-reading the questions, I realized I was over-complicating them. Thanks for this quiz and the next one, and good job.
wow, i feel stupid for saying Bm7 instead of B7, because i meant B7. I also harmonized in 2nds because they are using the same notes as the 9ths..i dont know if that is a bad mistake or whatever.

Looking foreward to the next quiz
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

ah I thought 1 was being generic, not wanting a specific good idea. I said pivot chord...
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Hurray, faultless
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by UtBDan
ah I thought 1 was being generic, not wanting a specific good idea. I said pivot chord...

I would say pivot chord could be right, though.

edit: Well, the pivot chord could be where the modulation occurs, but you might not really "know" you're in the new key until there's something like a V-I.

double edit: nightwind, have you gotten a look at the copy of the quiz I sent you? Just let me know when to put it up
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Feb 26, 2007,
so what is everyone's scores? gosh darn.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
8)An authentic cadence is from the V to the I, but there is also two varieties of this cadence, imperfect and perfect. The imperfect being basically any inversion of the V-I movement, and the perfect being the V-I movement with the root of the chords in both the highest and lowest voices. I believe there may be other exceptions – unfortunately they are not known by me.

a perfect authentic cadence does not have to have the root of the V in the highest voice, just for the I chord. Much more likely, you'll have the seventh degree or second degree note in the melody for the V, which would be the 3 or 5 of the V chord.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by bigmanwithanaxe
Yeah, perhaps a score board?

No way, I failed terribly
Tuesday night or Wednesday
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Well I missed one, if he only counted his way of modulation. I used the minor 6th chord as a pivot to the new key.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7