Ok, on my computer I have an Audiotrak Maya1010, and I have a Shure SM57 mic. I got a cable that plugs into the mic, and the other end of the cable is 1/4", the big jacks, to plug into the Audiotrak breakout box. Heres what I do:

GUITAR AMP -> SM57 -> MAYA1010 -> Audacity or SONAR Producer Edition

It records wayyy quiet, even if my amp volume is really high up. I have to turn my speaker volume all the way up, and add the volume on the program im using, but that lowers the quality and clipping and popping ensues. I also tried using my amplifier as a preamp for the mic, and did this:

GUITAR AMP -> SM57 -> GUITAR AMP2 -> MAYA1010 -> Audacity or SONAR Producer Edition

Still nothing, it records louder yes, perfect, but I thought I didnt need a preamp for this mic, and with the mic plugged into the amp as a preamp, clipping and popping also comes out ,it doesnt record as clean as just the mic itself.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I decided to make this a new thread since the first one was only asking about it.
Re-read that thread, I said you needed one. I'm sure someone else also pointed that out.
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
A pre-amp would be nice, but direct mic input is fine. A pre-amp would be most useful with vocals, not necessarily guitar or bass; nice, but not an essential.

My old drummer had two for his toms, and they sounded amazing.

Quote by TehJermie
True that Rosonic. You will most likely want a pre amp for vocals and it can be nice for guitars and basses too. The SM57: for guitar and vocals, awesome. Okay for bass too. For drums you'll want to give the snare and bass drum their own mics at least, and then hang another overhead the kit (a ribbon mic or something) to pick up the dynamics of the drum kit (Hi hats, Crash, etc). I read this when I first started messing around with recording at home http://www.guitarnoise.com/recording.php and I found it very informative and helpful. Also helps that my best friend is studying to become a recording tech.

So yeah.
Quote by insideac
So yeah.

So yeah? I don't see anyone explicitly expressing that you didn't need a pre amp.
Quote by TehJermie
So yeah? I don't see anyone explicitly expressing that you didn't need a pre amp.

You didnt say I needed it, you said itd be nice to have one. Not a requirement, but a luxury.
choices I see:

1 - cheap pre-amp as posted in the links above

2 - if recording all the time, a mixer may be good to get. The Yamaha MG series are good:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MG102-Stereo-Mixer?sku=630048

3 - Small PA amps will normally have a built in mic pre-amp.

overall I suggest the mixer as you are doing recording and its so useful.
I use a sm57 without a preamp,the cable and the mic work because when you plugged it into the other amp... Hmm, I dont know, im confuzzled, but you CAN use an sm57 without a preamp, Maybe your maya is on a lower volume setting, because when you plugged the mic into the second amp you boosted the volume. All i can think of, sorry
Quote by Euphoriacody
I use a sm57 without a preamp,the cable and the mic work because when you plugged it into the other amp... Hmm, I dont know, im confuzzled, but you CAN use an sm57 without a preamp, Maybe your maya is on a lower volume setting, because when you plugged the mic into the second amp you boosted the volume. All i can think of, sorry

How do you record? Tell me your setup and stuff
Some computers have built-in preamps on their mic inputs, some do not. Insideac's computer clearly does not, so an external preamp is necessary.
Quote by Roc8995
Some computers have built-in preamps on their mic inputs, some do not. Insideac's computer clearly does not, so an external preamp is necessary.

Computers dont have built in preamps for the mic input. I built this computer, I should know. Also, im not using the computer input, Im using a breakout box.
I use a very simple recording setup(not main) but i use a shure sm57 into a tascam dp-01(xlr to 1/4) which doesnt have built in pre and i get good levels
The SM57 will need a mic pre, or at the least a step-up transformer. Mic pre's are so cheap these days there's no point in messing with adaptor tranny.

As for the "you guys said I didn't need one" thing:

A- stop whining.
B- No, somebody said you might not and you ran with what you wanted to hear.
C- It's about time you learned about reading stuff on teh internets.
D- there was not enough information in the original thread for us to know if it'd work or not.

Just get a mic pre and run it into the line in on your breakout box.

Here's a link that'll help: http://www.mrdwab.com/john/Recording.html
Quote by insideac
Computers dont have built in preamps for the mic input. I built this computer, I should know. Also, im not using the computer input, Im using a breakout box.

Some computers do... just because yours doesn't doesn't mean mine doesn't either.
Quote by insideac

Firstly, decent sound cards DO have an preamp.

Second, that's why break-out boxes suck and you should get a firewire/usb mixer instead.

All breakout boxes do is serve as an interface for your shit to plug into.

Third, if you DI with a mic you're likely going to have to turn the channel volume (of whatever mic) up.

If you're using a cheapass sound card/interface, you're likely to get an assload of clipping. This is fact.

The only thing you can do is use the most volume you can before the program and then amplify it IN the program.

Or buy a decent preamp/interface (like a mixer)
buy a cheap 8 channel desk, even a 2 channel will do to act as a pre amp

pick one up for like £25 or $50