hey, can anyone tell me how black ice works? i just ordered one for fun, along with my jimmy page wiring kit. i want to know it i can have a coil tap and black ice at the same time in my les paul.

i plan on tapping the bridge pickup and using the neck pickup's tone knob for black ice. but does this mean i only get the black ice when im using the neck pickup? can i controll the tone at all of the neck pickup?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
when ice freezes on the road you cannot see it, so it appears black. that is how black ice works.

:-)
i realize that. but i already ordered it so i just wanna know the questions asked in the original post

EDIT: sorry, i forgot i asked how it worked in the original post too. i already know how it works and i really dont know why i asked. i just want to know the last 2 questions
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Last edited by Ghost_bass at Feb 25, 2007,
from the original post: does this mean i only get the black ice when im using the neck pickup? can i controll the tone at all of the neck pickup?

those are the questions im looking for answers for
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
i'm pretty sure you can stick the black ice along the hot so it works on both.

sorry you got so ripped off.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
what does black ice do?
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
kerry already said- it's a pair of diodes facing opposite directions, like this:

--neg pos -
 |        |  
  pos neg---
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Sounds like it just clips the signal to give it an overdriven sound.
MG Free At Last
can you use the black ice with 500k pots?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Yeah, I wouldn't see why not, but I have a feeling it's going to sound like crap no matter what you use it on...
MG Free At Last
what kind of diodes are used? because I would like to make one and try it, maybe I like its sound...

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
I'm pretty sure you can use whichever. You just need something with a low forward voltage drop.
so what is this black ice thing?? a weak built in distortion??
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
^-Yea, im just saying that in the actual Black Ice its Schottky.

yes, its definately a schottky, although im pretty sure you can work something out with other types of diodes, its just not as simple as a couple of diodes
The black ice chip itself is Schottky, but the same effect can be produced using other types of diodes. As far as
Quote by sempri_fi
its just not as simple as a couple of diodes

you're incorrect. It is just a couple of diodes.
Quote by ljplum12
The black ice chip itself is Schottky, but the same effect can be produced using other types of diodes. As far as

you're incorrect. It is just a couple of diodes.

no, i found this out the hard (ish) way, the voltage drop across a schottky is way less and the attack is different on a schottky diode than a normal germanium or silicon diode, if you just use a standard silicon diode it will clip way too hard and you wont have much signal coming off the back end, same with the germanium. do a search and you'll find the thread (and many other black ice threads) where i learned this stuff.

oh and if you wanted to use a silicon diode it might be possable if you just used a resistor to limit how much signal the diodes got in the first place, so no, its not just a couple diodes.
A germanium diode has a forward voltage drop of around 200 mV. That's not much more than a Schottky, perhaps less, depending on the diode. I can see how a silicon wouldn't work since they're usually between 0.6 and 0.7 volts.

EDIT: The Black Ice chip is just two diodes. It's already been established that silicon diodes aren't the best thing to go with. Quit contradicting yourself, and just let it go.
Last edited by ljplum12 at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by ljplum12
A germanium diode has a forward voltage drop of around 200 mV. That's not much more than a Schottky, perhaps less, depending on the diode. I can see how a silicon wouldn't work since they're usually between 0.6 and 0.7 volts.

ok fine, go educate yourself, seriously, i recommend wikipedia, im too tired to be bothered with such a manner. you can probably find enough info by just doing a search.

that is all

edit: jk
no shit silicon diodes arent the best thing to go with, have i said otherwise? i dont recall ever saying that. maybe you're arguing with yourself?
Last edited by sempri_fi at Feb 26, 2007,
I've educated myself for the last 4 years at Texas Tech University in Electrical Engineering. That is all.