Im looking to get a graphic on my les paul, and fancy a blue burst. would it be possible to paint a burst on a black les paul studio..either by stripping the black or whatever, or does it not look great changing the guitars paintwork.
Bursts are typically done with transparent dyes or translucent paints. You can use an opaque edge to match the same colour back and sides, but you had better let the grain show through very soon from the edge or else you will waste your effort. In other words, you really should strip off all finish on the top prior to applying. Beware. You could expose a top that really doesn't deserve to have the grain showing. You must be prepared to repaint opaque if necessary. Go to the forums at Project Guitar and look for the burst tutorials.
People sand off the paint and repaint it all the time. Theres also a painting topic somewhere I'm pretty sure but I don't feel like finding it.

but yeah, if you strip off the paint and paint it again it should look fine if you do it right.
a blue burst like the les paul goddess?

that's easy, but a trans-burst might look crap on a studio. A goddess-type is easy, just sand the clear coats off and scuff the paint. no need to take it all off.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
a blue burst like the les paul goddess?

that's easy, but a trans-burst might look crap on a studio. A goddess-type is easy, just sand the clear coats off and scuff the paint. no need to take it all off.

na man its something i designed on the kisakae site looks like a blue flame. how do you post pics ill show you.
You upload the picture to photobucket first. Then you either paste the link, or copy the link with the tags.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club