Is there a stretch I can do on the hand I use to cross finger my bass? I find my speed and attack die out after playing for a bit and I need that to stop
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Me, I just scale up and down, up and down, index finger and pinky, as far as it can stretch. Now, I can stretch from the first to the sixth fret without a sweat.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Me, I just scale up and down, up and down, index finger and pinky, as far as it can stretch. Now, I can stretch from the first to the sixth fret without a sweat.

Pretty much all you can do is practice scales or exercises that have you stretching over and over again.

First to six fret on a bass is an amazing stretch, btw.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Thanks... that amount of stretch is about is kinda useless though, because the 6th fret is the same note as the first fret on the string under it, so I don't actually need to stretch that far. But it does impress the ladies.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
G-1-3-5-
D-1-3-5-
A-1-3-5-
E-1-3-5- *Repeat*

index on first, middle on third, pinky on fifth
Whole tone scales are the best. Run them as fast as you can, then play the scales 3 notes at a time, then four notes at a time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Spider Excercise...

G-------------------------------1-2-3-4
D---------------------1-2-3-4
A-----------1-2-3-4
E-1-2-3-4

A good excercise for both hands. 1=index, 2= middle, 3=ring, 4=pinky

Perfect because if you know theory you really only need to cover four frets to play in any key without shifting. If you can stretch from fret 3 to 6 thats all the farther you need to stretch.

Another good excercise is playing a minor scale.

G minor:

G
D----------------3-5
A---------3-5-6
E-3-5-6

Very common scale in rock songs, and like I said, you only need to stretch 4 frets. Easy as Paris Hilton!
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by chopps00
Spider Excercise...

G-------------------------------1-2-3-4
D---------------------1-2-3-4
A-----------1-2-3-4
E-1-2-3-4

A good excercise for both hands. 1=index, 2= middle, 3=ring, 4=pinky

Perfect because if you know theory you really only need to cover four frets to play in any key without shifting. If you can stretch from fret 3 to 6 thats all the farther you need to stretch.

Another good excercise is playing a minor scale.

G minor:

G
D----------------3-5
A---------3-5-6
E-3-5-6

Very common scale in rock songs, and like I said, you only need to stretch 4 frets. Easy as Paris Hilton!

That gave me a good laugh

I say, do the spider exrecise, and practice all of the scales you know.
That way you also strech your fingers, im proves your technique, and practicing your scales.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I do the spider exercise up and down the neck each time before i play and it has really helped strengthen my fingers
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
OK i have the best finger excercize ever, my bass teacher evripides (from planet X and on the virg) taught me these.

G------7----8----5----6-----
D---5----6----7----8--------
A------------------------------
E------------------------------

ok so this you need to allocate your index (1st right?) to the 5th fret and middle to the 6 ring to the 7th and pinky to the 8th frets. do it slow nto fast, cos that helps the coordination. do these in different area's of the neck, like up past teh 17th or dwn at number one, to get used to the WHOLE instrument. and try not to move your fingers until you really have to, to keep them in place for longer, the slower you do it the better

and second

this excersize helps to get your fingers moving individualy and stronger.

G------5--6--8--5--8--6--8----
D---7----------------------------
A---------------------------------
E---------------------------------

ok, do when you hit the 7th fret on the D string, let that note ring out, and then pluck the G string on the 5th fret which is a C. then on the 6 and 8 do hammer ons and pulls off, DO NOT PLUCK its actually really hard to start off with. make it insteresting and play it on differen;t areas of the neck or even skip strings the next one and last oen is just a variation of the second.

G------5--7--8--5--8--7--8----
D---6----------------------------
A---------------------------------
E---------------------------------

and remember that all notes cept for the first C on the G string needs to be hammer ons or pull offs. the poijtn of keeping that fibnger on the D string at all times is so that you can move your other fingers without the muscles in that finegr helping, makes for larger stretces improved strenght and flexibility aswel as individual moevement.

have fun if you cbf reading all of that
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
Thanks for answering my question....oh wait, you didn't
I said fingering(plucking, w/e) hand, not the fretting hand. That hand is fine, and I know how to stretch it out, It's my other hand that's the problem
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Fingering is usually what people consider fretting, while plucking/picking is what you should have asked for.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
I said fingering(plucking, w/e) hand, not the fretting hand. That hand is fine, and I know how to stretch it out, It's my other hand that's the problem

Scales (in 3rds, 4ths and over two octaves)
Arpeggios (over two octaves)
Chromatics (fingering: 1, 2, 3, 4.....1, 3, 2, 4.....1, 4, 2, 3.....4, 3, 2, 1.....4, 2, 3, 1......4, 1, 3, 2 etc)

When you are coming up from G string to E string, start on your middle finger, when coming E to G start on index finger.

There is no secret. Just practice an insane amount for a few years and you'll be a demon
Quote by Fuzzycows5157

Just practice really, do these exercises that people have suggested to a metronome and slowly build up the speed. You just need to build the stamina in your fingers.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
^ What he said.

And also, try this excersize:

M I I M
G---------0-0---------------0---0
I I M I
D------0------0-----------0------0
M I I M
A----0-----------0------0----------0
I I M I
E--0---------------0--0--------------0

Make sure to follow the fingering pattern. I= index, M=middle

As you can see the pattern repeats. Play it as faster and faster until comfortable. Then do spider excersizes cause they work both hands.

EDIT: too lazy to fix MI
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Practice the advised exercises above, and then work it in eight, 16th etc and triplets. Practicing triplets with scales, chromatics and arpeggios really helped me build up the speed and accuracy of my right hand. You can use either two or three fingers. Work with a metronome as recommended.
i guess the best way of stretching your fingering hand is to finger some minors. Use some chords to and don't be afraid to use that g string
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
For warmup streches, index to the 1st fret of the E string and 8th fret of the A string. And play that. (It is a root F and an octave F). Good for loosening up your fingers before you play.

That and if anybody POSTING ON THIS FORM can do that quick enough to play, I will bow to your feet and worship you like a god. I already know Jaco can play like that, and I do worship him as a fingering god! I am quite gay for him and his fingers! To the point of neccrophelia!
^ Thats a pretty long f***ing stretch.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

8 fret streth on bass? i wanna see someone do that. I have fairly big hands, and i can do the 2<6> harmonic in PoT, but you are talking about another three frets. that's insania.
yeah in honesty, it would be SOOO muh easier just to play 2 frets from the root note and 2 strings up, e.g 1st fret on the E and 3rd fret on the D. thats how to do octaves while playing, not going up seven frets and 2 strings. sure its impresive but f*** useless
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
Quote by Fast_Bear
For warmup streches, index to the 1st fret of the E string and 8th fret of the A string. And play that. (It is a root F and an octave F). Good for loosening up your fingers before you play.

That and if anybody POSTING ON THIS FORM can do that quick enough to play, I will bow to your feet and worship you like a god. I already know Jaco can play like that, and I do worship him as a fingering god! I am quite gay for him and his fingers! To the point of neccrophelia!

But Jaco has freaking elephant fingers he's got a little bit of an advantage.
Quote by Applehead
8 fret streth on bass? i wanna see someone do that. I have fairly big hands, and i can do the 2<6> harmonic in PoT, but you are talking about another three frets. that's insania.

And they need to include pictures as evidence. Make that undoctored pictures.

Ok, I can just now barely manage a 5 fret stretch, with a bit of a rocking motion (which makes my playing of PoT really interesting sounding) with small hands.
I can do that PoT harmonic on the next fret over, as well. However, I can't think of any use for such a stretch, since it'd be much easier just to play the note right under your finger on the next string.

And IMO, I don't believe that someone (even Jaco) stretched 8 frets from a low F. Sure, I can stretch about 10 frets at a high F, but again, that doesn't really help.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by slash6464
yeah in honesty, it would be SOOO muh easier just to play 2 frets from the root note and 2 strings up, e.g 1st fret on the E and 3rd fret on the D. thats how to do octaves while playing, not going up seven frets and 2 strings. sure its impresive but f*** useless

Whell actually that streach is a warmup exersize. NOT a technique to be used while playing.

Quote by Fast_Bear
^Exactly! It streaches your hands to prepare em for playing. Kinda like how jymnist streach out their legs and their arms before they preform for a judge!

even if you can't streach that far, it helps!

Als, I had my head in teh clouds yesterday. I thought I could, but alas, I am a ****ing idiot (I can go to the 6th fret with my pinky, and my 5th with my index and middle)

Quote by thefitz
And IMO, I don't believe that someone (even Jaco) stretched 8 frets from a low F. Sure, I can stretch about 10 frets at a high F, but again, that doesn't really help.

YOU DARE DOUBT THE MASTER?
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=15434462&albumID=0&imageID=205256
Quote by Fast_Bear

Oh, I thought that he could stretch from the first fret of the E to the 8th fret of the A. I swear to God, I can do a stretch like that, no problem. I swear! Might have something to do with being 6'7" with double jointed fingers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Whell imagine this. If he set his index finger flat and paralel to teh strings on the 1st fret of the E string, and streach his pinky all the way to the 8th fret of the A string until it hit it paralel tot eh strings sideways.

If you think about it proportionally, he could streach that far. Not just doing a longass streach like that.
Fast_Bear, I owe you one. You just taught me a new ****ing trick. That never occurred to me... make my fingers do the splits. Hah!

I'm gonna work at it and see how far I can stretch!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah, I tried the splits thing. I can actually stretch farther doing it normally. 1 to 6 on the low B is the most I can stretch (34" scale). The sixth fret of the B just so happens to be the 1st fret of the E, which is where my index finger is anyway, so I think I have my grounds covered.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Fast_Bear
Think about it proportionally.....

It is possable for him to do it.

Like God, i will believe it when i see it.