Ok, so i have a problem with feedback when i play live. I have a behringer GMX 212..and a LP copy. I use the distortion right off the amp. I love my tone....but when i play live i get really bad feedback when i pause in between notes or chords. When i hold out the note its fine, cause that eventually turns into a nice beefy feedback which i like. The big problem is that im using so much distortion that when ever i pause in between notes or chords i instantly get a very undesierable high pitched feedback. In fact, sometimes when the amp is at 8 on the master volume (with a good amount of distortion) i get feedback even when i turn the volume on my guitar to 0.

So, what do you guys suggest. I'm thinking a nois gate/suppressor ( i think this would have to go into the FX loop)

other than that idk what to do cause we play some small venues who dont mic the amp..so i have to turn up loud!

recommend solutions please!!!

thanks
Use less gain? If that's not an option, just hold the strings when you're not playing.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
play farther away from the amp?
new cables sometimes also help feedback if your cables suck
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
no....those wont work....like i said even with the volume on my guitar off the amp will feedback.... and the gain i have sounds perfect....its not as heavy as you think...theres a lot of gain but its clear.

does anyone have any experiences with any noise gates?
I have a EPI Studio Les Paul with Gibson burstbuckers that feeds like crazy. However, these are unpotted so it stands to reason. I use a line 6 Vetta Hd and only started using the noise gate after using these pickups. I find it makes the guitar useable but it does rob a bit of tone/sustain. Could be getting some feedback from a tube going microphonic, I dunno.
Give the gate a try.
Hm, glad you asked.

Yesterday (Sunday), I went to Guitar Center and played around with a Boss Noise Supressor. My advice?

Don't get it. It sucked so badly. I put random pedals on to test the silencing. It did nothing. When you're not playing, all it does is lower your volume, and when you start playing again, you have to wait for the volume to come back on all the way, full force. It was gay, indeed.

Search for another noise supressor besides Boss'.
my advice is get a new amp. any crappy solid state amp with the gain and volume turned up that high will feedback like crazy. my fender fm212r also does what you are say so i dont bother with the distortion on it. get a good distortion pedal it wont feedback like that.
raise the volume, get MORE feedback!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by joe_k
my advice is get a new amp. any crappy solid state amp with the gain and volume turned up that high will feedback like crazy. my fender fm212r also does what you are say so i dont bother with the distortion on it. get a good distortion pedal it wont feedback like that.

but i really like my tone a lot...it really is an excelent amp...minus the feedback froblems....
ur pickups my need to be repotted.

most of the time, easy enough just to swap them out.

it might not feedback as much with a better amp. so take the guitar into a shop, plug it into a different amp. crank it and see if it feeds back. if it does then order a new pickup.

that.s my suggestion.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well i used my friends SX guitar which had some seymour duncan distortion pickups in it and it did it as well......

the thing is i don't have a lot of money, so i cant just buy a new amp. And, the tone on this amp is truley impressive! Its definitely on of the best SS amps ive ever heard....its just the one feedback problem. I hear the MXR noise gate is really good so i might try that

besides I've been reading reviews on some noise gates and a lot of people with tube amps (mostly the peavy 5015 and some marshals) who use alot of gain have the same problem....
Quote by redrumsixsix6
well i used my friends SX guitar which had some seymour duncan distortion pickups in it and it did it as well......

the thing is i don't have a lot of money, so i cant just buy a new amp. And, the tone on this amp is truley impressive! Its definitely on of the best SS amps ive ever heard....its just the one feedback problem. I hear the MXR noise gate is really good so i might try that

besides I've been reading reviews on some noise gates and a lot of people with tube amps (mostly the peavy 5015 and some marshals) who use alot of gain have the same problem....

the isp decimator is supposed to be really good. but forget about ur tone. once u start trying to control feedback with a pedal it's going to go right out the window anyway.
if it's feeding back on zero. uve got a problem.

if every guitar is feeding back then u have an amp problem. i mean u can spend more money for a bandaid but...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well it only does it when im playing really loud..... otherwise its ok... whens theres a PA i dont have to much of a problem but some of the venues we play are small so they dont mic the amps...maybe i should bring my small powered pa to gigs and line out into it?
or maybe i should buy the cab for it....im assuming that might make my guitar louder but without actually truning the volume up....just have a full cab rather than 2x12