Can someone show me a pic of a bigsby, and how does it work? I hear about people going into guitar stores and "breaking a poorly made bigsby" or not knowing how to use one. I dont wanna be one of those people. Thanks
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
I cant use youtube. Is a bigsby a type of bridge? Is it kinda like a whammy bar? I know nothing, i feel very stupid... Pics or it didnt happen?
]

That's my guitar.

The bigsby is a Vibrato, meaning it can raise the pitch up or down by about 1 step. You can't do crazy divebombing dragonforce shit on it, because it will go out of tune, and your strings may snap, etc.

For some vintagey vibrato, it's pretty damn nice though.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Ah, thanks. So when people talk about "breaking a poorly made bigsby" or watching someone "break a bigsby" its when they go nuts and try to show off and end up looking like an idiot? Now i understand. Oh, BTW the pic didnt show...
Quote by 812many
Ah, thanks. So when people talk about "breaking a poorly made bigsby" or watching someone "break a bigsby" its when they go nuts and try to show off and end up looking like an idiot? Now i understand. Oh, BTW the pic didnt show...

Bigsbys come in a few levels:

Licensed ones (b30,b50,b70) are made oversea's and are diecast, meaning they are made of god knows what.

American ones (b3,b5,b7) are made in america out of nickel (with or without gold plating). These don't really break (the others do on occasion). They also cost about twice as much.

The pic is showing up on my end, so it must be a problem with your computer...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Shows up here:

And as for breaking a bigsby, only if your stupid enough to try some dime licks on one... Though the licenced ones (b30,b50,b70) can break on their own... as mentioned before, they are made of only God knows what .

Bigsby's are made really for small amounts of vibrato, that sorta ventage style. I definatly wouldn't try doing 4x bending or vibrato on a bigsby guitar!
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by hamish5178
Bigsbys come in a few levels:

Licensed ones (b30,b50,b70) are made oversea's and are diecast, meaning they are made of god knows what.

American ones (b3,b5,b7) are made in america out of nickel (with or without gold plating). These don't really break (the others do on occasion). They also cost about twice as much.

The pic is showing up on my end, so it must be a problem with your computer...

Die casting is the method used to manufacture them. It is where molten metal (either aluminum or zinc) is injected into a steel mould tool (called a die) it is then rapidly cooled with water and ejected from the tool. This is a highly effective method as casting as you get a smooth surface finish and don't get much porosity (tiny holes in the casting) unlike traditional casting techniques such as sand casting.

I'd imagine these parts would be made in somewhere like China to keep costs right down but Chinese die casting is notorious for bad quality. This is largely due to inexperience in mould design and flow analysis. Also the stock alloy is usually of poor quality and contains impuritys (this is what causes parts to crack/break).

If any of you are still awake of reading that... Yes, I know I'm sad. I'm an engineer so I actually find talking about stuff like this interesting
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!