Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
Its SS
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
spider III ain't that bad though for the price that is
I don't like as i lay dying
Here's a good example of two choices you have with a budget of $400: Tube vs. Digital

A Line 6 III 120 watter will cost you about $400) (A Peavey 112 50 watter will cost you about $430

They're both about just as loud (Valve amps are almost always twice as loud as digital amps of the same wattage)

The Line 6 will have about 6 channels and a multitude of somewhat decent yet muddy effects... and will sound more muddy/horrible the louder turn the volume knob until the amp just stops working.

The Peavey will have about two channels and the basic tone/volume (all any guitarist will ever need) along with a really good reverb. and + will sound better the louder you turn the volume knob. (It's called "overdrive", basically a really smooth/warm distortion you get from crankin' tube amps)

So, although the Line 6 amp presents more in quantity, the Peavey definitely wins out when it comes to the quality it can bring out...

+ if you ever really want those effects you can just buy a multi effects unit for around $60
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by Alex The Red
Here's a good example of two choices you have with a budget of $400: Tube vs. Digital

A Line 6 III 120 watter will cost you about $400) (A Peavey 112 50 watter will cost you about $430

They're both about just as loud (Valve amps are almost always twice as loud as digital amps of the same wattage)

The Line 6 will have about 6 channels and a multitude of somewhat decent yet muddy effects... and will sound more muddy/horrible the louder turn the volume knob until the amp just stops working.

The Peavey will have about two channels and the basic tone/volume (all any guitarist will ever need) along with a really good reverb. and + will sound better the louder you turn the volume knob. (It's called "overdrive", basically a really smooth/warm distortion you get from crankin' tube amps)

So, although the Line 6 amp presents more in quantity, the Peavey definitely wins out when it comes to the quality it can bring out...

+ if you ever really want those effects you can just buy a multi effects unit for around $60

Actually, you've made the Valve King sound really attractive.
I may have to check one out as I'm looking for a head and don't have loads of spare cash.
Just to check - I can't find any 50W versions for sale - all of the ones I've found say 100W and retail for just under £300.

Oh, and the Spider's effects are really not worth buying the thing for. I got mine for low volume practice (should have got the 15W really) and the tones are pretty good at very low levels.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
yeah, the tone of a ss stays the same no matter what the volume. in a ss, all the volume is doing is making the speakers push more air through more power in the signal. doesn't change the signal.
Quote by oddling8
Do you live under a focking rock?

Is it really necessary to be an ass? I mean you were new to this stuff once too...People come to this site for help then jackasses like you turn them away....

Anyway...yes its solid state. But its not traditional solid state. Solid state simply means that there are no moving parts. But Line6 uses digital processing which is something that not all solid state amps do.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Quote by Crimson_Eve
Is it really necessary to be an ass? I mean you were new to this stuff once too...People come to this site for help then jackasses like you turn them away....

Anyway...yes its solid state. But its not traditional solid state. Solid state simply means that there are no moving parts. But Line6 uses digital processing which is something that not all solid state amps do.

You're right. I apologize.
If youre asking if the Spider is Solid State, yes it is. If you're asking whether to go with tube or soldi state, tubes all the way. I can't describe how much I freaking hate all line 6 amps. They ahve no tone at all, and are way overpriced, especially given the low quality.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I think a cheap ass tube amp and one of those new Zoom multi-fx will do what the Spider wants to do 10x better. Just my opinion though.
yea ok thanks. Its not for me I have a marshall jcm and etc. thanks!
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others