I was wondering if anybody knew of any effects that could help produce that lofty, Joe Satriani / Eric Johnson sound. I've experimened with delay more and that helps, but it isnt quite right. Any specific effects or settings?

Thanks
Its really just impossible to dupilicate someones sound. Find your own thing.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Honestly, that's a lot to ask. Your answer isn't going to be found in a few pedals or settings.
Oh God, just help the poor man. Say "Hey, their tones tend to prioritize treblemid-range whatever with a small amount of delay, with this soundgate etc..."

Jesus. it doesn't need to be perfect, the guy isn't going to end up with a clean delayed tone when he wants to sound like Hammet, now would he? NO!
Quote by Guitarmiester
He didn't even mention what he uses.

Why would he? He's asking for effects, not settings.
Satriani's custom Ibanez, Custom Satriani JSX Peavey Head, and a Boss Ds-1 modded by keeley.

I think.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Quote by mr_hankey
Why would he? He's asking for effects, not settings.

Quote by The Duder
Any specific effects or settings?

He said he tried a delay pedal, but I doubt that's all he's looking for.
Quote by Guitarmiester
He said he tried a delay pedal, but I doubt that's all he's looking for.

Shit. You win.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Haha... I think a lot of people wish there was an 'Eric Johnson in-a-box' pedal.

sign me up for one of those!
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
if i'm not mistaken, satch has multiple delays with staggered delay times (i.e. one for shortish slapback, one for medium Edge-like delay, and one longish ambient delay) that he mixes in differently in his signal to give it that space. you could achieve a similar effect with any digital delay with a "multi head" simulation (boss dd-20, line 6 dl4) or, for about the same price, you could spring for 3 ibanez de7's, 3 arion sad-3's, 3 digitech digidelays, or something similar and stack them with different times.
When I was trying to find a sound suitable for Eric Johnson songs I found that the clean sound with lots of reverb worked fairly well, I tryed fiddling with my amps EQ but in the end I found that it was the reverb that was missing.
wasp, wives against sucking penis.

Sry dude I had to.

Ok yeah look into a decent REverb and a dElay, usualy tape delay is the bestfor an organic feel, for a ver chimey, open sound look into a dgital delay, dealy (same letter dif words how fun!)

Any way also look at a bit of compression and some serious mid/high eq settings.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.