Page 1 of 2
I seriously hate it. It sounds like sh*t! My friend has a Fender Strat Mexican, and when I play that I sound 10x better on the same amp. What do you guys think it is? Ive changed the strings a million times, I still hate it. I want a nice clean sound, and not this distorted ugly blah sound I am getting now.

The reviews on this site give the sound the highest (10) and I find it the exact opposite, do you think its my pickups? If so what do you guys suggest? Should I head over to Sam Ash or GuitarCenter and have one of those guys look at it?

Thanks
u talkin bout an LP standard right?
u can't get the cleanest sound as a stratocaster man...
thats why pete townshend uses strats now
they're humbuckers on ur LP
can't get too clean.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
it just depends on what you perfer and your taste in music. Strats or for more of a clean sound because of its single coil pickups, as to les pauls are more for distirton because of its humbuckers. If thats what you like, and perfer and what you play is that type and style of music go for it
because LP's blow and so does Epiphone.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Yeah you have humbuckers on your guitar bro. You wont get the greatest clean sound from 'em. Sry....
..cuz you bought an epiphone

GIBSON FTW!
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Epiphones are not bad, in my sig, on my myspace, I got the tone in the summersong on my LP and to me it sounds awsome.
It's your fault you didn't try out enough guitars when spending money.
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7971/ugsig7ej.gif[/IMG]
aim sniff +1
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Humbuckers don't "hum", and they CAN do clean VERY WELL. It's nonsense to say an LP isn't going to do a good clean; horse crap! You just prefer Strats.... or your guitar is defective. Intonation can make your music sound like crap, but that's nothing to do with tone. Epiphone makes some great guitars, and they seem to be of a higher build quality than the >1500$ Gibsons. With Gibson, you're buying the name. Anywho, Fender Strats are fantastic guitars, maybe you just jive better with that tone?
haha i like my LP. Its got a nice clean, its just a bassier, warmer clean. Strats have more the clean bit to them.
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

lp special by any chance?
thats what i have but i love it
i have a mexican strat too by the way and i like them equally because they're so different, the strat gets the clean tone and blues tone and the lp gets the distortion, but one cant get the others tone
Quote by CanadaHckyDude
..cuz you bought an epiphone

GIBSON FTW!

Signed up down left right and backwards.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
uh, maybe roll off your volume on the guitar a little bit, that always helps clean it up, or muddies your sound depends on how good your pickups are
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
For cleans, you really should use the bridge pickup with the tone control at 9 or 10 to get a nice and warm tone.

My Epi sounds really nice clean
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
uh, maybe roll off your volume on the guitar a little bit, that always helps clean it up, or muddies your sound depends on how good your pickups are

First sensible post in the whole thread

Your Epi's humbuckers are hotter than a strats singles, so they'll always sound dirtier due to the higher output, they'll also push an amp into distortion a little earlier so you lose some clean headroom from your sound. To compensate either back the gain off on the amps clean channel if it has one and roll your guitar volume off a bit. You could also lower the pickups a little if you want to ramp down their output. Don't forget that a strat has those inbetween positions too which give it those really sparkly clean tones, you aren't going to get that from a Les Paul-type no matter how hard you try.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The lack of responses from the TC just seems like he was trying to get a reaction of out people by posting flamebait. I dismiss the TC as a troll.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
The lack of responses from the TC just seems like he was trying to get a reaction of out people by posting flamebait. I dismiss the TC as a troll.

Or just a total moron.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
1. what amp.
2. lower ur pickups a little.
3. what epi lp model?

maybe u like singles better, u just have a starter lp and are comparing it to a better guitar, or maybe u just dont know how to set up ur guitar.

if u want help then repost with specific complaints.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
change to gibson pickups but i would have recomended not getting an epi ant all because you could get a fender strat with the price of a epi lp. (depending on which 1 you got.)
Quote by ECistheBest
u talkin bout an LP standard right?
u can't get the cleanest sound as a stratocaster man...
thats why pete townshend uses strats now
they're humbuckers on ur LP
can't get too clean.

You...

Quote by the spiker
Yeah you have humbuckers on your guitar bro. You wont get the greatest clean sound from 'em. Sry....

and you...

are total noobs. It is perfectly possible to get a great clean tone out of humbuckers. Yes, humbuckers are hotter and better suited for high-gain playing, but don't say that they won't get a good clean. Don't fill the threadstarter's head with lies.

Threadstarter, if you could answer Jenny's (that's jj1565) questions, we'd be much more capable of helping you.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Feb 26, 2007,
Ha, I happen to have an uncle who has the mexi strat, and I have the epi lp. I found that my guitar sounded better on the same Fender blues junior, but that goes to show it's taste.

1.Your guitar could be a faulty one, by bad luck, or you could send it in to be proffessionally set up. Intonation and action help. I guess you're using the stock pickups, so change them, as many players do with epi's.
2. If you hate it, ultimately you could sell it.
I feel sorry that you don't like it. I love mine.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
I dont get how I am a troll? I have a life, school, work and other things to deal with before posting responses on a guitar forum. However I do appreciate the legitimate replies here.

There has to be something wrong here, too many people enjoy it for me to hate it. Some say intonation, I am not sure what that means but how do I go about checking if its correct? Do I need to bring it to a guitar store and ask them whats wrong?

I honestly dont even know what the three knobs do on my guitar (one is volume...) It sounds like crap regardless of messing with them. Any help? Thanks again.
Quote by |2eM!x
I dont get how I am a troll? I have a life, school, work and other things to deal with before posting responses on a guitar forum. However I do appreciate the legitimate replies here.

There has to be something wrong here, too many people enjoy it for me to hate it. Some say intonation, I am not sure what that means but how do I go about checking if its correct? Do I need to bring it to a guitar store and ask them whats wrong?

I honestly dont even know what the three knobs do on my guitar (one is volume...) It sounds like crap regardless of messing with them. Any help? Thanks again.

Well, most of us have no life, so it's odd to meet someone who does. I know most of us get on UG at work and school

I think, that if you don't know what the knobs on your guitar do, you probably don't have a very developed ear, and thus, cannot say whether a guitar sounds like crap or not.

Try getting someone you know to be a good guitarist to try your guitar, and ask them how it sounds.

Also, you still haven't told us what model you have???
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^again cause i think u missed it. we need to know which guitar u have.

also, to check if the guitar's intonation is messed up. just fret it at the 12th fret. check with a tuner. see how close to in tune it is. then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
he propably has the special, no lp i've ever seen has three knobs, except the special, (the selector switch being one "knob")
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
because LP's blow and so does Epiphone.

i laff in ur gay face!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
a strats a strat and pauls a paul this is why Jeff Beck used both on Blow by blow so well together, trading power driven licks on the paul with spine tingling cleans from the strat

everybody needs one of each
Quote by Symphonic Waves

Or perhaps he's one of those people who post a question, then come back later to check the response because they have something better to do than hang around on a guitar forum

I wish I had something better to do.

To respond to the threadstarter. If you have any Guns & Roses in the house, listen to the kind of clean sound they get on for instance the arpegiated intro and verse parts of Knocking on Heaven's Door. That's the clean sound of good humbuckers (and a high headroom amp). Now listen to the intro to Sweet Child of Mine. Both similar arpegios, just the second is overdriven.

Humbuckers shouldn't distort until you add gain on the amp. The LP won't have that floating vintage fender blues sound, but its got a sound all of it's own for blues. Try playing some John Lee Hooker on it, it'll suit it well.

Also if you have an LP Special, it really is the lowest of Epiphones range. (it's the one with only two nobs and the pickup selector down the bottom right?) A better comparison would be the Mexi strat vs a Epiphone LP custom, much better comparison. I think the the LP Special is made of Alder as well, not mahogany which will better suit the dual humbuckers and bring out the bass and sustain.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I have the Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Seriously, if I had a choice of getting this one I would never have picked it. I got it for a gift, and my mother was very hurt at the suggestion of returning it and getting a nice guitar. This was 12 months ago...

I checked the intonation, a few strings are a bit flat and a few are a bit sharp. I would assume that is semi normal, not the reason for it sounding to ugly. What I meant by the knobs earlier, is that I can tell they do something, but I am not sure what each knob is doing. I have never read online or anything what each knob does -- I dont know even how to look it up.

Thanks again guys.
how long have you been playing? and cant you roll each of them off and listen to what they do? im assumeing its one volume and two tones. did you try rolling off the volume?
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
Quote by zed leppelin
how long have you been playing? and cant you roll each of them off and listen to what they do? im assumeing its one volume and two tones. did you try rolling off the volume?

Ive been playing 2+ years. I became pretty much exclusively acoustic after the first couple months and never looked back. Recently me and a friend have been jamming and I wanted to play electric if he was so I picked her back up. I tried rolling everything...I dont know I cant get a nice sound off it.
Quote by |2eM!x
Ive been playing 2+ years. I became pretty much exclusively acoustic after the first couple months and never looked back. Recently me and a friend have been jamming and I wanted to play electric if he was so I picked her back up. I tried rolling everything...I dont know I cant get a nice sound off it.

maybe its how u are playing it... not the guitar. no matter how good a guitar is, it cant disguise crappy playing.
Quote by Ryank285
maybe its how u are playing it... not the guitar. no matter how good a guitar is, it cant disguise crappy playing.

Sweet. But if you read the thread I told you that I sound immediately ten times better on his guitar. Im not a crappy player, if I was I wouldnt post about it on forums.
Quote by |2eM!x
Sweet. But if you read the thread I told you that I sound immediately ten times better on his guitar. Im not a crappy player, if I was I wouldnt post about it on forums.

... maybe he modded his guitar which is always going to sound better than a stock guitar.
Page 1 of 2