Does anyone have the Valve King 100w head...what do you think of it..i'm looking into buying one...also what cabinets go nicely with the head...just gimme your thoughts..
tried one out at daddy's.
loved the tone.

but yeah i have the same questions
if anyone has more experience playing it
I own the head and cabinet,

let me start out by saying a lot of people on here are misinformed or just mistaken about this head. The head is NOT the same as the combos, so no one with combo only or low volume Valveking head views needs to post in here. If you want the real low down PM me for info.

It's an amazing head for the price. Learn to mess with the pres/res/class switch in the back, as these can make it sound amazing/downright ugly.

Yes it's a cheaper tube head, yes it's made in china, no it's not shitty build, please plug it in and read OWNER reviews on the head, not random people on this forum.

and if someone comes in here saying it can't get a "metal" tone without a OD pedal, I'm going to vomit/scream/both.

Like I said, read harmonycentral reviews from owners, and PM me if you would like more information on this head. You won't get any real useful information here.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Ouch I was reading over the reviews... a lot of people held this amp as being better then tube heads thrice the price.

Just one question... What makes the half/stack so much better then the 212 combo.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
the combo has crap speakers and crap reliability, also the head just seems to sound better for some reason, i still dont like it that much, but yeah i would say the heads are alright. Avoid the combos like the plague though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Drop the valveking thoughs! Valveking is a serie for poor teenaged americans who doesnt have afford something above 500$! :@
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
I'm considering one of these as well.
Of course I will try one out, but I was wondering how metal can it get?
I want something as heavy as Slayer and death metal.

Is there a reason this thing is so cheap compared to other valve heads?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B

Is there a reason this thing is so cheap compared to other valve heads?

because its not the 6505 head or the 5150 head
Yeah, I realise that.
But even compared to other manufacturers it's cheap.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
you should have read my post. They are made in china, and you should def play it before you buy if you can, but peaveys inside guys tell me that not all factorys in china are equal.

And they wouldn't really want to tarnish the solid Peavey name, so put 2 and 2 together.

Yeah, duds happen, they happen with marshell/vox/any other maker. It happens.

Just as a side note, these heads started at a MUCH lower price, and peavey slowly but surely is raising the price because as someone told me that worked for peavey (they know they have a hit on their hands, like the 5150", I'm guessing he was making mention as to how the 5150 also got more and more expensive as it got popular.

Anyone wanting REAL information about this head pros/cons/any questions just PM me, as I've said there are plenty of people with silly ideas stuck in their heads from 2 seconds of playing. Elitists around every corner though, it's the internet.

If you want a real sound test, just go to youtube and search for "peavey valveking".
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ParryPerson

Anyone wanting REAL information about this head pros/cons/any questions just PM me, as I've said there are plenty of people with silly ideas stuck in their heads from 2 seconds of playing. Elitists around every corner though, it's the internet.

Why don't you post it here so everyone can read it? You seem to know absolutely everything better than the rest of us; so please: help us out of our ignorance.
People like you are exactly why I won't.
Quote by HxCori<3
Quote by ParryPerson

Just as a side note, these heads started at a MUCH lower price, and peavey slowly but surely is raising the price because as someone told me that worked for peavey (they know they have a hit on their hands, like the 5150", I'm guessing he was making mention as to how the 5150 also got more and more expensive as it got popular.

cant see the VK being the next 5150 tbh
Quote by ParryPerson
People like you are exactly why I won't.

Great reason.

Bit of a hypocrite aren't you; warning for elitists?
Also, nothing wrong with the combos if you have a good cab to run them into. I have the 112 and it's pretty damn amazing, I must say. I also got mine for $250, so I really can't complain. It's the real deal, through and through. Go try it and stop listening to people on here, even me. I don't even know what I'm talking about. Go to musiciansfriend and harmonycentral.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Also, nothing wrong with the combos if you have a good cab to run them into. I have the 112 and it's pretty damn amazing, I must say. I also got mine for $250, so I really can't complain. It's the real deal, through and through. Go try it and stop listening to people on here, even me. I don't even know what I'm talking about. Go to musiciansfriend and harmonycentral.

The musiciansfriend reviews are generally unreliable; harmony central is good though.
The 112 works great if you can find a 212 cab to plug it into, which is what I do when I want to play it. The head is just as good. I played through SEVERAL 50 watt tube 112s before I settled on the VK. I just don't have the room for a half stack, so when I play out, I just plug up an ext cab. Still sounds good.
Overall I am happy with my VK 112, but I swapped out the tubes with JJ's and I play it as a head through a Mesa Recto 2X12. THe clean sound is very nice, however the distortion is not the best, to my ears anyway... Hence, why I use the Metal Muff.

One complaint that I have about the VK is that it does not have enough clean headroom. No matter where I have the settings or which guitar I am using it always starts to break-up a bit even with the volume as low as 3. I dont think this would be as much of a problem with the 100 watt models though
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by mattldm2003
One complaint that I have about the VK is that it does not have enough clean headroom. No matter where I have the settings or which guitar I am using it always starts to break-up a bit even with the volume as low as 3. I dont think this would be as much of a problem with the 100 watt models though

I don't have that problem...
Quote by mr_hankey
harmony central is good though.

You are joking right?
Harmony Central is full of "my MG15 is killer I sound like Dime" type reviews.
Nobody wants to admit they've bought crap.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
lol its true, no one wants to admit it! i tell everyone my MT-2 is the best thing that ever happened to me (which is total bulshit) wen in reality i hate the fkn thing
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
The valveking is a great amp. I am selling mine however because of me believing that other amps are better because of UG. But this thread has given me second thoughts, I am going to go try some amps out and see if they really are better than the VK
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
Quote by Dr. B
You are joking right?
Harmony Central is full of "my MG15 is killer I sound like Dime" type reviews.
Nobody wants to admit they've bought crap.

Of course I'm not joking. If you look for reviews about products that only beginners use, you can expect reviews like that. Did you even bother to check reviews about anything else than MG's?

Most people on Harmony Central don't write the review until they've had the product for several months, so that they are past the honey moon period. Also, there is no use reading reviews if you are just going to read five: to get a good idea about the product you need to read at least 50.

EDIT:
I just looked through some MG reviews on HC, and as I suspected, pretty much all reviewers are beginners. As long as you read reviews for more expensive gear, there should be no problem. Even some cheaper products, like Squier's, have been reviewed reliably; because they are good enough to bought be more experienced guitarists. Basically, if the reviews are written by a beginner,which can be easily spotted by the fact that there are usually no negative points mentioned in the reviews, and all the reviews are like that; chances are high the product isn't worth your money (MG is a good example here).
Yes I bothered to check reviews about other things than MGs.
That was an example, if you know what one of them is.

I have read Harmony Central for many many products from budget to high end amps, guitars, etc.

Most verdicts seem to be all or nothing, as I described above, or "0/10 I hated it".
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Yes I bothered to check reviews about other things than MGs.
That was an example, if you know what one of them is.

I have read Harmony Central for many many products from budget to high end amps, guitars, etc.

Most verdicts seem to be all or nothing, as I described above, or "0/10 I hated it".

No, that's simply not true. There are always some of those '0/10' reviews, but most are detailed, factual, and not hugely opinionated.

What is your idea of a good review website, then?
Quote by mr_hankey
What is your idea of a good review website, then?

I haven't found a good one yet.
Harmony Central is okay, you have to read between the lines - identify the clueless reviewers and ignore them.
Most people who review on internet sites are amateurs and don't really know what they're talking about.
You have to try and find the ones that do.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
I haven't found a good one yet.
Harmony Central is okay, you have to read between the lines - identify the clueless reviewers and ignore them.
Most people who review on internet sites are amateurs and don't really know what they're talking about.
You have to try and find the ones that do.

That's what I've been saying all along.

Harmony Central just has less clueless reviewers than musiciansfriend or here on UG.

Okay then!
Actually, I haven't used Musician's Friend but after a quick look it does seem pretty lame.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by mr_hankey
That's what I've been saying all along.

Harmony Central just has less clueless reviewers than musiciansfriend or here on UG.

Some people here that actually own the valveking know what they are talking about. But after a while of owning mine, I found out that most UG'ers have negative thoughts about it. To tell you the truth, I don't think they have a bad sound at all, but there is alot you could do to it to make it sound much more better.
My Gear:

Quote by tabber666
Some people here that actually own the valveking know what they are talking about. But after a while of owning mine, I found out that most UG'ers have negative thoughts about it. To tell you the truth, I don't think they have a bad sound at all, but there is alot you could do to it to make it sound much more better.

I'm sure there are; I was just referring to the reviews here on UG, about anything really.
Quote by mr_hankey
I'm sure there are; I was just referring to the reviews here on UG, about anything really.

Oh the reviews on the site, yeah, i find them pretty reliable, but I would never base a purchase on what a review says, always try them out first!
My Gear:

tabber666, it's pretty sad you loved the valveking and it's tone up until you read what a few snot nosed people and their lackys had to say about it on a web forum.

Always trust your ears.
Quote by HxCori<3
The VK isn't as bad as people make out on here, I own the 212 and for the price its bloody brilliant, the clean is moderately good enough. Ofcourse its not Fender nice clean but it does the job, the distortion CAN do metal, although it may not have enough gain for you gain *****s but then again its not a Peavey 5150. The vk is a budget valve amp and it does the job, when compared to most amps at the same price its good, and compared to any MG's/spiders/cheap SS amps its a heck of a lot better. I highly recommend for a first valve amp, or if you need a gigging amp but don't want SS.
What backed up my view of the amp was when i went to a Guitar X *music university in London* for a open day, they were everywhere! For the live performance they used 112's through 1960's Marshall cabs and it sounded great. I'm sure these professionals know whats good and I'm sure the fact there cheap swayed there decision.

Reliability wise I have had only one problem with the amp,and that was a blown fuse, easily fixed.

Negatives are the inbuilt reverb, i dont like it, also the reverb tank is held in with 2 screws in the back, and wobbles when in transport which is annoying. Also it weighs a ton.
Splendid timing, i actually just recorded with one tonight. At first i thought it sounded great for the price but in comparison to my 250$ Peavey supreme, it basically sounded like that but with a bit more headroom. It seems to be an entry level Tube head.
This may come a bit late, but anyway...I have the valveking 100w head and I´ve been pleased with it. If you are a true gainiac, there may not be enough gain for you but hey, what are the overdrives and distortions for? Bottom line is that it´s impossible to find a 100w tube head for under 500€(unless you are lucky with the second hand market). It produces enough volume for any rehearsals and the quality of the sound is good/great IMO. I´d certainly put it above the (the price is quite close) Marshall MGs and Laney Tube Fusions.
the combos with a speaker swap are great too, a texas heat eminence will take care of the breakup problem. In all honesty though, if you can get the head and cab, get it.
I played a valveking at GC a few months ago and was very suprised by how it sounded. Especially at low volume. I could get a good crunch out of it and the cleans weren't too bad either. If I had a small budget and was going to by my first tube amp this amp would get a lot of consideration
Jackson USA SL2H Snow White
Peavey JSX 120w head
BVS412 slant cab w/V30's
Furman RR-215 Dual EQ
TC Electronic M300
Quote by gojira
I played a valveking at GC a few months ago and was very suprised by how it sounded. Especially at low volume. I could get a good crunch out of it and the cleans weren't too bad either. If I had a small budget and was going to by my first tube amp this amp would get a lot of consideration

yep
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa 412 slant cab
Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
Wow. This is turned into quite the flamefest between people who own the Valve King, and people who can afford better than the Valve King.

I personally dislike the Valve King head. My rhythm guitarist has one because he's only 13 and couldn't afford better, and it sounds terrible. When he's playing power chords or something, they all mush together. But then again, it's probably because we play hard rock, generall with quite a bit of gain, and the VK is not a gain amp.

So, how about we just stop flaming each other over silly little opinions about an amp? Some people like it, some people don't. Some people may have not been able to try better sounding amps and like it, and some people may have been able to, and still like it, or vice versa.

Threadstarter, just go try it out, and see what you think of it. That's all I can say when it comes to an amp that's 50/50 with people. Some will tell you it sucks major, and some will tell you it's the Golden Grail. Just go test it out, and make your own decisions about it.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way