Page 1 of 2
I used the term, "Hardcore," jokingly, please don't flame me out on that. Architects is an amazing breakcore band imo, and they have pretty cool metaly segments here and there. Some grind in there too.

http://www.myspace.com/architects666
Last edited by i am the robots at Feb 25, 2007,
Quote by i am the robots
Architects is an amazing breakcore band imo

On a more positive note, Architects is a great band. I love the first two tracks off of nightmares.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
I was referring to breakdown saturated stuff that's like almost entirely breakdowns. I use joking terms, I don't go genre nazi.
i dont see anything special about this band

then again i havent really been into this area of hardcore recently
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by i am the robots
I was referring to breakdown saturated stuff that's like almost entirely breakdowns. I use joking terms, I don't go genre nazi.

Sounded like it.

Genres aren't a bad thing. When people say 'probably the best hardcore band ever' I expect something like Bane, Madball, Comeback Kid, Terror like. People get a feel of what's to come. It's to make life easier, not harder - and if you don't know the difference - ask. Simple ehh?

It ain't hardcore because it doesn't sound anything like those. The influences are different.

Metalcore is the word, and it ain't as good as you emphasised.
Pretty typical metalcore stuff that's around at the moment.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Ahahah the start of A Portrait sounds like they are playing around making sound effects for a slinky string. Yeah I have to say, the voice isn't unique the playing average, I can hear that stuff at a venue round the corner from me...meh.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
yah they are so good.
myspace.com/bringmethebrandon

R.I.P. Elliott Smith (August 6, 1969 – October 21, 2003)
Architect is a lot better.
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

my breakdowns bring all the crews to the pit
and theyre like, "lets dance to this ****!"
damn right, we dance to this ****
I 2 step, windmill and spinkick.
^hahaha I always get them confused.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
Quote by Disco Vietnam
Architect is a lot better.

Werd.

These guys are alright though I guess, not something I would listen to. So much better music out there.
-Zach
Quote by Craigo
Sounded like it.

Genres aren't a bad thing. When people say 'probably the best hardcore band ever' I expect something like Bane, Madball, Comeback Kid, Terror like. People get a feel of what's to come. It's to make life easier, not harder - and if you don't know the difference - ask. Simple ehh?

It ain't hardcore because it doesn't sound anything like those. The influences are different.

Metalcore is the word, and it ain't as good as you emphasised.

I fail to even see where they're metalcore. I don't hear any hardcore in there sound, true metalcore bands like Botch or Most Precious Blood actually have parts that sound like the bands you listed. I just wanted to post it in here making fun of the metal forums because they'd close it in a second for lack of knowlege what the hell hardcore is.
If you take into consideration the average age of the members of that band are just 19, and was just 17 at the time they recorded all their material, then i dont think anyone can say they're an untalented band.

Their album isn't too bad but can be a bit meh at times, i love "You dont Walk Away from Dismemberment".

Havnt seen these live yet.
Yeah dude, they're definately talented. I especially like them because I'm a total Dead Man In Reno fanboy and a total Norma Jean fanboy (I know, it's disgusting, right?) and they remind me of the good aspects of both bands.
I wouldn't class them metalcore - wheres the catchy verses with pretty singing and linear structures? Awesome band. Second album soon!
Last edited by Centurion at Mar 4, 2007,
Quote by Centurion
I wouldn't class them metalcore - wheres the cathy verses with pretty singing and linear structures? Awesome band. Second album soon!

There's about 3, 4 or 5 waves of metalcore, depending on which way you look at it, and they're all unique in their own way.
Quote by i am the robots
I fail to even see where they're metalcore. I don't hear any hardcore in there sound, true metalcore bands like Botch or Most Precious Blood actually have parts that sound like the bands you listed. I just wanted to post it in here making fun of the metal forums because they'd close it in a second for lack of knowlege what the hell hardcore is.

I would definitely class these guys as metalcore. Keep in mind that the metalcore sound goes beyond Most Precious Blood; you say the metal forumers don't know anything about hardcore or metalcore, but obviously someone with knowledge of both genres came up with the classifications.

Like you said, they definitely have a little Norma Jean-ness to them. I would go out on a limb and say they even sound just a tad bit like Converge at some points. They may not have sections that sound like Madball or Comeback Kid, but the influences show through in other places, usually in the form of song structures, lyrical themes, and the oh-so-hated-by-metalheads floor punch-styled breakdowns.

Metalcore is a much more varied genre than people give it credit for. Take, for example, Lamb of God. The riffs are very much influenced by Sepultura and Testament, but a lot of the songs are structured like something Hatebreed or Sick Of It All might write (Break You and Hourglass are the best examples of this I can think of). Even Randy Blythe said that the band takes a huge influence from punk (yes, I realize he's also said they're a thrash metal band, but by that logic, Britney Spears could call herself anarcho-symphonic blackened grindcore, and it would be true). The same thing goes for bands like As I Lay Dying, the older Trivium, and All That Remains.

Bands don't have to sound like hardcore to be descended from the genre.
Breakcore is a genre of techno, pioneered by artist like Venetian Snares.

I've read Madball called metalcore by some people too. As more metal-influenced metalcore has came about, the stuff that used to be called metalcore has been seen as less metal so it ends up being referred to as just hardcore, now I'm not saying that people should call Madball metalcore but just think how people used to call AC/DC & Zepplin heavy metal but since we've had extreme metal it just seems like normal rock.
I'm not being a smartarse, but does the genre really play a role in the music at all?

Like, does album art affect how music sounds?

Does the lead singers surname make the lead guitar riffs more technical?

If the bassist had braces when he was 12, would it make the drums sloppy and out of time?

Give it a rest, really.
Quote by Gymmeh

It can affect how you perceive an album.
Quote by Gymmeh
I'm not being a smartarse, but does the genre really play a role in the music at all?

Does the lead singers surname make the lead guitar riffs more technical?

If the bassist had braces when he was 12, would it make the drums sloppy and out of time?

Give it a rest, really.

Of course genre plays a role in the music. Yes, there are good and bad bands in every genre of music, but the classifications are there for a reason. If someone wanted music like Black Flag, would you tell them to listen to Muddy Waters?
I think they're awesome. I've tabbed pretty much the whole album for anyone who's interested (although i've only got 2 songs up at the mo).
Have heard the demo of their new album and the new stuff is sounding amazing/a lot more heavy.
If you haven't checked them out live then you should they're ****ing tight.
Quote by m3tz
I think they're awesome. I've tabbed pretty much the whole album for anyone who's interested (although i've only got 2 songs up at the mo).
Have heard the demo of their new album and the new stuff is sounding amazing/a lot more heavy.
If you haven't checked them out live then you should they're ****ing tight.

Your tabs of them are perfect. If I give you my msn is there any chance you could sneak us that demo ?

You should tab out some Centurion. I've figured out most of I survived Cremation but a lot of it I just cannot figure out.

All these Brighton bands, to say they're so young are disgustingly talented. I dont get why people dont bum Jonny Truant round here.
Quote by i am the robots
true metalcore bands like Botch or Most Precious Blood

I mean't in reference to this post.

oh and Architects are pretty sweet, I've heard what I can on myspace and what not and its really rad stuff.
What you guys think of Penknife Lovelife in that regard, I dunno how they're viewed in the UK scene or anything but I kinda dig them, their EP was really sweet.
Quote by fourstringpunk
Your tabs of them are perfect. If I give you my msn is there any chance you could sneak us that demo ?

You should tab out some Centurion. I've figured out most of I survived Cremation but a lot of it I just cannot figure out.

All these Brighton bands, to say they're so young are disgustingly talented. I dont get why people dont bum Jonny Truant round here.

Thanks man! I wish i had the demo haha, it was recorded at my mate robs (centurion bassist) so I listened to it when I was round there!
And as for centurion tabs, well i dont actually have their ep but if someone wants to send me it then i'll tab it out
Quote by Gymmeh

quarthon (sp?) of bathory said that a lot of people brought their albums because of the simple artwork (a picture of the moon behind clouds or something)
the artwork made it really mysterious so people brought it out of curiosity.

just felt like sharing that...

edit: i though breakbeat was the techno thing.
either way (from what i've read about it) they have a lot of breakdowns?
a lot of hardcore doesn't have breakdowns, and breakdowns started in jazz, so you might as well say they have a bit of a breakbeat / breakcore / whatever sound
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Last edited by pistols at Mar 9, 2007,
Quote by m3tz
Thanks man! I wish i had the demo haha, it was recorded at my mate robs (centurion bassist) so I listened to it when I was round there!
And as for centurion tabs, well i dont actually have their ep but if someone wants to send me it then i'll tab it out

PM me your email and i'll send it you.

It's quality stuff man, as if you know all these bands I wish I was you

Add me on myspace man!
Quote by m3tz

Buy it, its worth the pennies.
Meh i'll just ask em for a copy Haha. Nah, it's not really my thing as much.

Anyway, Architects touring with Sikth (again!) and The Red Chord/From a Second Story Window!! Gonna be a good summer.
Tom and Tim keep getting sent free LTD's, lucky bastards.
Quote by m3tz
Anyway, Architects touring with Sikth (again!) and The Red Chord/From a Second Story Window!! Gonna be a good summer.
Tom and Tim keep getting sent free LTD's, lucky bastards.

I'll jot that down on my calender, and also make a note to intercept any packages heading their way in the post.
Hehe. Well i've just bought an ESP anyway, none of this LTD riff raff But yeah they're heading into the studio within a week to record the new album. Can't wait to see them on tour playing their new stuff, it will be nice to hear some more new material... 13 track album though, thats crazy!
yeah this is some good stuff. anyone have anything they can send me?
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
i saw the architects live and they came on to what sounded like final fantasy VII, thats cool, but oh no when nightmares came out it was somewhat disapointing and a tad cheesy in places but hey! final fantasy VII!
It's all about the Final Fantasy. FF > all & everything. Except maybe the Top Gun Anthem.
Page 1 of 2