Hi, I have an American Tele from the early 90s that has a custom middle pickup that was installed by the pervious owner. Even though a pretty nice looking hole was carefully cut in the existing pickguard to accommodate the new addition, I think I might replace it with a Nashville Tele pickguard (Anyone know where I can get one?) just to clean things up a bit.

Anyway, that should work out without much of a problem, so my real question is this: Can I take out the new pickup’s on/off switch that was installed between the tone and vol knobs and put in a 5-way, Strat style, pickup selector that would control all 3 pickups?

I haven’t done much research on this myself yet, so I apologize if the answer is obvious!

Thank for the help!
Tom
Yeah it wouldn't be hard at all. Just look at a wiring diagram for a Strat with a single volume single tone. I'm not sure if the spot where the switch in a tele is long enough, you may have to extended it.
Fender actually have a guitar that's a cross between a Tele and the Strat, you could check out a wiring schem for that.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by ljplum12
... I'm not sure if the spot where the switch in a tele is long enough, you may have to extended it.

shouldn't be a problem. (Fender) Strat and Tele switches are identical, except for the notch positions.

2 and 4 don't exist on a Tele switch, which BTW, was the original Strat switch!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Lever-action_Pickup_Switches.html

If you look under details, you can see that both switches have the same dimensions. If you look at the other blade style switches, you can see that the slot required for all of them are the same (1/16" x 1-1/16")
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club