Poll: Maple OR Rosewood Neck
Poll Options
View poll results: Maple OR Rosewood Neck
Maple
49 77%
Rosewood
15 23%
Voters: 64.
Looking at getting a 3-colour sunburst fender american stratocaster, only question is should I get a maple or rosewood neck? I like the look of the maple neck, but not too sure as to the difference between it and the rosewood as far as sound and feel is concerned.
Maple, for sure.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
you basically wont even feel the difference in normal playing circumstances and the fretboard has a minimal effect on the tone.

maple is brighter
rosewood is warmer

this is very minimal again so basically go for what you think looks purdy.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

maple ftw. it's gotta be the aged maple too. that's damn sexy.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Keep in mind though, TS. Just for your info, maple fretboards DO get pretty dirty...

But that can always be fixed up with lemon oil.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
hmm, I was always told never to use any kind of oils on a maple fretboard, since most of them are finished.

TS, it's preference, I would play them before you decide, it's not just looks. I can feel the difference on a maple fretboard pretty easily, it just feels a lot harder compared to rosewood.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 26, 2007,
^Really?

*researches*

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
lemon is for rosewood boards,if used on maple it makes it "go bad" apparently.

oh yeah get maple cos i have a strat with a maple board and it FTW.

i dont have a clue what FTW is........
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

^yeah, it just creates an oily mess on the maple, since it won't penetrate the finish.

Quote by buzz
lemon is for rosewood boards,if used on maple it makes it "go bad" apparently.

oh yeah get maple cos i have a strat with a maple board and it FTW.
i dont have a clue what FTW is........

FTW = for the win
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

TS, it's preference, I would play them before you decide, it's not just looks. I can feel the difference on a maple fretboard pretty easily, it just feels a lot harder compared to rosewood.

Yep, this is why I prefer rosewood; it feels softer.
Definitely maple. Noticeably more articulate, and I find them smoother, harder and nicer to play on.

And they look better.
Maple for me, but it's all about preference.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by ak Gitaroo Man
maple ftw. it's gotta be the aged maple too. that's damn sexy.

Ohh yes
i'd say maple, cos im getting a new strat with a maple fingerboard and they look damn purty.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Maple. I'm not sure why but it just feels more natural to my fingers when I play...
I say rosewood. With a 3-color sunburst, its orgasmic.

And I can play a little faster on maple, but I like the feel of rosewood more.
rosewood feels nicer, but maple will look better
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
I prefer rosewood for both comfort and looks, but again, its down to choice. Try a few guitars with those fretboards and see how it feels and sounds.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Maple is awesome on strats. Its so smooth, feels a lot different than rosewood. Soundwise, I can't really tell too much of a difference, but I just love the feeling of maple.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
i prefer rosewood on a burst.. maple is for white or red strats, IMO
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
im all for rosewood, but try one out and oyu decide. you really cant go wrong either way.
i think i prefer the look of maple, but the sound and feel of rosewood.
Quote by johnnypark30
Looking at getting a 3-colour sunburst fender american stratocaster, only question is should I get a maple or rosewood neck? I like the look of the maple neck, but not too sure as to the difference between it and the rosewood as far as sound and feel is concerned.

rosewood is a warmer rounder tone, maple is sharp and snappy... rosewood feels nicer imo.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.