I came up with what I thought was a really cool intro to a song, it was Em, Em7, A. So I plugged in my mic I'm thinking, man, this really sounds familiar. And eventually I realized thats what the intro to Down By The River by Neil Young sounds like.

Oh well, time to think of something new
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
haha i do it always when i make songs on acoustic
i seem to cant get out of Em or Dm keys
and you can imagine the chord progressions tend to be very alike ahah
but on electric i compose rather original stuff, imo
Only one 12 bar blues, it dosent happen to me very often.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I was delighted with myself for writing something which sounded pretty damn good. About 2 days later I bought the White Stripes' debut album and heard Screwdriver. Was almost exactly the same. :-/
i once wrote the reincarnation of benjamin breeg main riff, and the A Team guitar riff
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
yep!
not too long ago i wrote living in the free world

id never heard it in my life!
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Sadly yes...I remember a friend pointing out one of my songs sounded exactly like R.O.C.K. in the USA. I was so pissed, cuz you'd listen to the song, and be like, "Damn you John Mellencamp! Yes you, Cougar, choosing to change your name at random, and making songs before I have a chance to write one. This was my one tune and you ruined it!!!"

Ok, maybe not that extreme, but I can rip on ole johnny cuz he's from Indiana. Plus I'm tired of that stupid commercial all the time on t.v. with his song on there. Our country...way too overplayed.
yeah that sucks.
it also sucks playing with guitarists who only know standard open chords.
every tune ends up sounding like something oasis refused to put on their album
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
I once was rocking out and thought "Wow this is real good....im gonna show it off at school "

I turn on the tv and on comes The White Stripes "Dirty Leaves and The Dirty Ground"!
exactly alike

and that started my love of The White Stripes
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
One of my songs sounds a bit like The Passenger, and another like Love Train (only a hint of alikeness tho), but my version's different enough to get away with it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
All songs sound like other songs though. There so many songs and ONLY so many different combinations of bars. What distinguishes them are the extras that go with it and the style.

I wrote a song thats basically the sweet home alabama riff, but when I play it, you wouldnt recognize it because it comes out a bit reggae-ish. Throw in totally different bass runs (actually the bass sounds a bit like 80 glam basses) and some african drums, and you got yourself a totally different song.

Style is everything. Just evolve it in a different way, and it's cool
"Is that the fucking bible?"

"That's Holy Fucking Bible to you"
I wrote the entire White Album and then I heard it and I was like wtf?!
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.
I was shredding one time and I played a run down the neck. I stopped and thought... That run sounded so familiar. I put on a few Malmsteen tracks and realised I had played a diminished run all the way down the neck. I thought.... If only I was born 30 years earlier, I could of been doing this before that fat doughnut eating swede.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
ive got this awesome riff i made, not to brag but its so good i keep thinking it might be done before. problem is nobody can think of a song which uses it.

i spose that counts, cept i havnt found out if its someone elses yet :S
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
^ I've had that happen before too. Well, sort of. I'll be playing a song I wrote for some friends and just to be funny I'll be like, know who that's by? They'll sit and think for a second and pull some answer out of nowhere, kind of matter of fact. Then I can bask in joy and be like nope, that one was mine. It's always a nice way to get compared to another musician in all honesty.
Ive done it before too. Do you guys think that it happens because youve heard the song and it is in your subconscious? Or is it just bad luck that two riffs/solos etc sound the same?

Edit: fixing a stupid spelling mistake
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
Last edited by nz_matt at Feb 26, 2007,
I don't really think that's the reason, more or less that it sounds good. Some riffs or chord progressions just naturally sound good together. With the amount of people that do have access to a guitar, it's easy to see why someone could come up with the same song.
True, so i guess some bands cant be blamed for "stealing" songs
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
i wrote a kickass metal lead that turned out to be the christmas song from harry potter...

yup, fail.
I will fuc
why just yesterday i wrote RHCP - universally speaking
Originally posted by jklsadj;sadjfak
well, green day was at woodstock. so they are classic rock! i told you!
Originally posted by Iluvpowerchords
Pfff Gay people are Fags
Wants happened to me that "I" made up some thing and it seemed to be a themesong of the Lord of the Rings :S....
I wrote Foo Fighters - Over N' Out...
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I once made a riff kind of thing, it was pretty much exactly the same as something from a Becks advert

I also made the Paper Lanterns riff (Green Day) and a few others.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

I have the best one... While sitting one day with my Guitar, idly playing, I made up this very solemn and good sounding riff. Little did I realize that M.A.S.H. was on the telly, and I had subconsciously recreated the theme.

The other day I was jamming and I had the distortion up, and just started some wankery hard rock riffs. I made up this simple riff on the Low E, and played it a few times. I'm thinking "Wow, this sounds awesome, I have to record this." Not seconds later did I play it again, and realized that it was "Twist of Cain" by Danzig...
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
I write riffs all the time, however since I lack talent, most of them suck and never get played outside of my loungeroom, so it's kind of weird when I hear them on stage.

I went to see this band the other night. They were an indie band opening at an industrial/metal club with four metalcore bands to follow. As if this wasn't a tough enough gig, they sucked as well. What perplexed me is that all their songs sounded like stuff I'd written then discarded, like they'd been going through my rubbish and taking my reject tabs.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I can't stand it when well known bands can make crappy riffs I wrote sound good.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
"I've got a fever of a hundred and three", I was pissed....
Quote by #1 synth
WOW, that was probably the best burn i've seen on here, you get +2 respect points wanttobebetter

Quote by Pan-Tallica
^X2 ... Didn't wahappen already warn you for acting like a mod?
Quote by Green_Jelly
I can't stand it when well known bands can make crappy riffs I wrote sound good.

These guys didn't make them sound good. They sounded just as crap as when I came up with the same idea. The only thing that pissed me off is that they'd managed to convince a promoter to let them actually get up on stage, whereas I had sensibly discarded them.

Maybe if I used with all my crappy ideas, I might actually get enough songs together for a solid set, then I could get paid too.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I wrote this dissection song and i thought it sounded so great and im finnaly getting the hang of BM until i popped in storm of the lights bane just to find that the necro kvlt song i wrote was Where Dead Angels Lie.

DOH.
I was so fucking pissed
I was in a band with some friends last year and we wrote this song that we really liked. But then the whole band thing wasn't really working out, so we stopped playing together as a band.

A couple of months ago I heard We Used To Vacation by Cold War Kids and it was esactly the same chord progression and melody that I had written with my band months and months before, that annoyed me slightly hehe .
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK