Which amp head is better for playing metal. For example: At The Gates, Carcass, Arch Enemy ,Dark Tranquility, Morbid Angel, Nevermore, Death, some Avenged Sevenfold, Suffocation, Testament, etc. So which amp head would be better for that kind of music, a Mesa Boogie amp head or a Marshall? Also tell me the reasons why too.
Mesa, marshall JCM800's are perfect for more 80's and classic metal.

Trivium used Marshall DSL's on the crusade, but apparantly they've moved onto Mesa now
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
uhh i prefer marshalls for high gain stuff, Mesas tend to have too much bass for my taste. Really its all down to personally preference, but if you dont want to boos your amp then youd probably want a mesa since they tend to have more gain.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
uhh i prefer marshalls for high gain stuff, Mesas tend to have too much bass for my taste. Really its all down to personally preference, but if you dont want to boos your amp then youd probably want a mesa since they tend to have more gain.

then cut down on the bass knob or boost the treble/mids?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Mesa!
Can't beat that signiture Mesa sound.

^EDIT- IDK, the new marshall JVM sounds pretty good, but it appears to be somewhat of a Roadster clone: 4 channels, 3 different sounds each, hmmm?
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Last edited by zackprs at Feb 26, 2007,
does anyone on the board actually have a JVM yet?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Its all about preference. Play them both.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Quote by Yngwi3
does anyone on the board actually have a JVM yet?

Tons of people have them over at harmonycentral.com

And most of them are now for sale. Seems the hype was way bigger then the product. The 4th channel is pretty much unuseable. The vintage tones are all right, but the 3rd channel sounds meh too.

Of course thats just what they are all saying. I wouldn't spend the money on one. For that amount you can get a full Jubilee or 800 halfstack. Or you could just get an amp made for metal, a mesa.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
go with a mesa, they have an awesome metal tone
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
^EDIT- IDK, the new marshall JVM sounds pretty good, but it appears to be somewhat of a Roadster clone: 4 channels, 3 different sounds each, hmmm?

yeah its essintally marshalls anwser to the road king.. the footswitch is probaly the greatest thing about it..really good..pity about my lack of muny
The new Marshall JVM seems nice, but Engl and Mesas are nice too.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by TehJermie
If you want to sound like every other prick, go MESA(SAME) recto.

exactly why i use fender
Engl Fireball

Cheap.. Tonnes of gain, great cleans, turn down the gain and you can get a crunchy sound.

I myself am saving for one and a 2x12 cab.
Quote by TehJermie
If you want to sound like every other prick, go MESA(SAME) recto.

That was a rather ignorant statement considering Marshalls have been around for FAR longer than Mesas. I am sure there are many more Marshall players than Mesa players. But the fact that metal players are choosing Mesa is because they do not have the same old sound that has been around forever. I personally LOVE Marshalls, but my Mesa gives me far more options than my Marshall did. Having 3 different gain modes for the 2 gain channels, and 2 different clean modes for the clean channel makes it able to produce tones that a Marshall couldn't even fathom. Plus the effects loop with it's seperate send and return level controls, programmable channel select (1, 2, 3, all, footswitch) has alot more control than Marshall. I have a built in solo boost, 1x16, 2x 8 and 2x 4 ohm speaker outputs, selectable tube/silicone diode rectifiers, seperate channel switching jacks, slave output with level control and more options. Marshall is good for older sounds and simplicity in function. But if you want something that has far more control over every parameter, as well as a myriad of tones, Mesa is the way to go.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Last edited by myMesa8mybrain at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
That was a rather ignorant statement considering Marshalls have been around for FAR longer than Mesas. I am sure there are many more Marshall players than Mesa players. But the fact that metal players are choosing Mesa is because they do not have the same old sound that has been around forever. I personally LOVE Marshalls, but my Mesa gives me far more options than my Marshall did. Having 3 different gain modes for the 2 gain channels, and 2 different clean modes for the clean channel makes it able to produce tones that a Marshall couldn't even fathom. Plus the effects loop with it's seperate send and return level controls, programmable channel select (1, 2, 3, all, footswitch) has alot more control than Marshall. I have a built in solo boost, 1x16, 2x 8 and 2x 4 ohm speaker outputs, selectable tube/silicone diode rectifiers, seperate channel switching jacks, slave output with level control and more options. Marshall is good for older sounds and simplicity in function. But if you want something that has far more control over every parameter, as well as a myriad of tones, Mesa is the way to go.

That makes me wanna get myself a Mesa
You may want to look into a Peavey 5150...I know a couple of bands that you listed use them, and it would be cheaper than both a Mesa and a Marshall.
Almost all the bands you listed primarily use Mesa amps. Does that answer your question?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
IMO a boosted JCM800 sounds better than anything ive ever gotten out of a mesa dual rec. Its just that a boosted 800 cranked to the max (have to do this) is not very practical since they are so fu**in loud. Way better than a dual rec, unless you want to play Nu metal like most dorks. Now the MarkIV on the other hand... mmmmmmmm tasty.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Almost all the bands you listed primarily use Mesa amps. Does that answer your question?

No....they really dont. In fact I really dont know if any of the band you listed use Mesa, maybe...

If you want a good straight forward Mesa tone check out Cradle of Filth's Thornography album. It is just straight forward Mesa tone.

As for the guy who said "Mesa(Same)"...well he apparently doesnt know a whole lot.

Marshall will get you a Black Label Society, and more of a Trivium tone.
Of the bands you listed Arch Enemy uses Krank, and so does Nevermore. Avenged Sevenfold uses Bogner....thats all I really know for sure. These guys may use Marshall cabs but not Marshall amps.

And as far as Mesa being best for Nu-metal. Well I dont consider scooped mid nu metal music. I use a tripple with a healthy amount of mids, and it sounds thicker than any Marshall ever will. Especially with a little boost added in. Mesa rectos are incredibly tone responsive, and capable of a wide range of tones. Give Mesa a try. They arent regarded as one of the industry's top amps for nothing.
Last edited by Crimson_Eve at Feb 27, 2007,
A7X and Trivium now use Mesas too.
IMO the 5150 is your best bet unless you need shimery cleans.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Majority of those bands you listed DO in fact use/used Marshall. But you must remember majority of artists dont limit themselves to just one amp especially the amps they endorse, in the studio. You have to remember studio and a nice budget = rackgear (graphic Eq's, compressors, etc.). so if you are looking to mimic studio tone of those artists idk what to tell you. I have tested Mesa Dual rects against DSL 100's (marshall) and the gain isnt something to necessarily write home about. Marshall and Mesa seem to have extremely devoted fans so id suggest trying them both out yourself, but dont forget about Peavey and other brands depending on your budget.
Mesa Mark Series amps are their only good line of amplifiers. Give me a Marshall 800 anyday or a 5150 ill take over a mesa as well.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Genz Benz El Diablo. Mesa style nu metal type gain but amazing cleans as well.
Neither, if you can afford it get a Diezel

Though I've heard that they're cabs suck, so go for a Marshall or Orange cab for it...
+1 to the El Diablo...but please god dont scoop the mids. Running no mids through an expensive amp is like using regular fuel instead of super in a Ferrari. It just doesnt let your amp actually show off how good it is.
Regardless of what Trivium now uses, on The Crusade, they used Marshall. So an example of Marshall tone would be Trivium...like we all said. So until they release another album using Mesa, Trivium uses Marshall on CD. But last I checked the threadstarter didnt list Trivium as one of the bands he was interested in playing....so screw Trivium.

Look....read my first post and it will tell you all the reasons to go find and try out a Mesa. And keep in mind what Ibanez4Life said. They take a lot of time to get a good tone out of because of the fact that they are so responsive in their controls. They DO TAKE TIME. But you wont be disappointed.

But I am also going to say that a 6505 isnt a bad amp by any standard either. Check out Machine Head's "Through the Ashes of Empires" album for an idea of a 6505. Plus they are like $400-$500 cheaper than a Mesa. So then you can buy whatever else you want as well...like maybe BBE Boosta Grande to push some more gain, and whatever pedals you want. If I had a choice of any two amps under $1600 it would be 6505 and Mesa Tripple Recto. Dont overlook the 6505 just because its cheaper. With the amount of cash your about to drop....make sure you try a few things out.
Quote by Syn Harvest
Mesa Mark Series amps are their only good line of amplifiers. Give me a Marshall 800 anyday or a 5150 ill take over a mesa as well.

Mark series are their only good amps? Play my Road King, then talk to me.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
Quote by Syn Harvest

The new line of Stiletto's and Lonestars are amazing amps. I hear the new express's are great to.

Yeah, the rectos are overused by little metal heads, but they are still great amps.

Mesa is hands down the most reputable amp maker in my eyes. They never stray from quality no matter what. And I've owned 2 JCM800's. My Stiletto Ace owns them.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Crimson_Eve
+1 to the El Diablo...but please god dont scoop the mids. Running no mids through an expensive amp is like using regular fuel instead of super in a Ferrari. It just doesnt let your amp actually show off how good it is.

yeah its like buying a hooker but just having polite conversation with her.
Quote by myMesa8mybrain

EXACTLY!
People seem to repost what they hear on the threads and don't actually play the amps themselfs. MESA"S CAN DO A LOT MORE THAN NU METAL.
With my Roadster I can get:

CLEANS (Think loanstar)

A glassy, sparkly clean (Channel 1 and 2)
A dull, fuller clean
A clean that starts to break up when you pick hard

MID GAIN (Channel 2):
Tweed bluesy overdrive
Marshall-esk tone when on spongy
Almost thrashy distortion

SOLO
Channel 3 (I have set up for my solo channel)
Bluesy lead
Liquid, searing lead

ALL OUT INSANITY (Channel 4)
I have about 3 settings for this one,
One gets me a chuggy heavy, thick distortion (Use this when drop tuned)
Another gets me a trebly high gain sound that isn't harsh (Think Bodom)
Another gets me a rich, full, warmer sounding distortion

Note- I do this all without progressive linkage (I have a Roadster not a Road King), with the roadking, the possibilities are ENDLESS.

EDIT- I have only had my boogie for 4-5 months now, I can't wait to discover new sounds, I seem to find new ones almost weekly
And the all tube reverb sounds absolutely spectacular-no comparison
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Last edited by zackprs at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by Crimson_Eve
...please god dont scoop the mids. Running no mids through an expensive amp is like using regular fuel instead of super in a Ferrari. It just doesnt let your amp actually show off how good it is.

Quote by kmf1
yeah its like buying a hooker but just having polite conversation with her.

That's sig worthy if you dont mind