Hi

I was wondering is the Kirk Hammett KH-2 NTB signature ESP guitar good?
I would like a guitar with good high fret acces, since I want to play solo's (mostly Metallica solo's) and some good pick-ups to get a good Metallica sound, my strat kinda lacks in that.. Ofcourse I know the sound is mostly produced by the amp, but still...
Oh and also, is the Floyd Rose any good? Because I'd hate it to tune all the time ofcourse!

Click here for specs and a picture:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_kirk.html
I played one last week and I HATED the neck on it. It really didn't suit my hands at all. That being said, it's got good specs. I suggest you go try one
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Hmm allright.. was the neck really thick or something?
And I can't try one because there are none here in the local shops (I live in Holland).
Quote by Cizzie
Hmm allright.. was the neck really thick or something?
And I can't try one because there are none here in the local shops (I live in Holland).

The neck was more U-shaped and was too thin for my liking. Big hands FTL
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Aha.. but I have small hands so maybe I'll like it.. (I'm a 15 year old girl )
yay it has kinda thick neck, but it should do the job
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Serjem
yay it has kinda thick neck, but it should do the job

Thick? I thought it was really thin. Definitely thinner than my Aria (which has a fairly thin neck IMO)
KH sig necks are generally pretty thin, but there's 2 different neck thru models(if you're talking the normal not relic'ed one) . You may or may not like it. For me,i cant play super thin necks,even though i have small hands. I'll get pretty bad cramps on my wrist/thumb joint.

here's the list
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/images/neck_specs_complete_2006.gif
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Well, its neck is really thin. Not like a Ibanez, but similar. The only difference between the NTB and the Vintage one, is the distressed finish with the stickers, so it isn't worth.
The access, pickups, bridge... are all very good. What else can you expect?
And well, if you're into Metallica playing style, you can't go wrong with Kirk's guitar, don't you think?
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
The only problem IMO is the price. I'm assuming it's a proper ESP... won't that cost a bomb? You could just get a regular ESP or LTD or something else for much cheaper, rather have Mr. Hammetts sig guitar.
Yeah.. But it's Kirk! I'll pay for his signature on the headstock!
Nahh, but serious I don't mind spending that big amount of money just because it's his sig guitar, I mean that's what I'm also kind of buying it for. If you're a big fan it's ofcourse super cool to see your hero play the same guitar as you, you know?

Allright I'll deffinatly try one out if I can. I'm going to the USA next year for a little trip, I always hear you Americans talking about GuitarCenter.. does it have many many guitars including the Kh esp?

But I'll have enough time to think about it since it'll take quite a few years before I get the money together .
Last edited by Cizzie at Dec 7, 2008,
I'd imagine this guitar to be really good, it is real ESP and has all the top specifications you can get.
I love my LTD KH-602, I find the neck amazing and yes it is thin, not thick at all.
It has an original floyd rose so of course it's good :P you shouldn't need to retune it for ages.
Definitely worth a try =)
Quote by Cizzie
Yeah.. But it's Kirk ... hehe I'll pay for his signature on the headstock!
Nahh, but serious I don't mind spending that big amount of money just because it's his sig guitar, I mean that's what I'm also kind of buying it for. If you're a big fan it's ofcourse super cool to see your hero play the same guitar as you, you know?

Allright I'll deffinatly try one out if I can. I'm going to the USA next year for a little trip, I always hear you Americans talking about GuitarCenter.. does it have many many guitars including the Kh esp?

But I'll have enough time to think about it since it'll take quite a few years before I get the money together .

What happens when you find a guitarist you like more than Hammett? I'd say just get the M-II NTB, it's the same guitar with no special inlays or signature. You're playing the same guitar, but it's more original than copying him,a nd you won't looks tupid playing anything other than metallica.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Feb 26, 2007,
i say if you want it just get it. people on this site dont like it when other people get sig guitars even when they (most people) know you can get a similar guitar for a lot less.

but yeah be sure to try it out
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by MetalMilitia212
What happens when you find a guitarist you like more than Hammett? I'd say just get the M-II NTB, it's the same guitar with no special inlays or signature. You're playing the same guitar, but it's more original than copying him,a nd you won't looks tupid playing anything other than metallica.

True, but I don't think I'll ever really hate Hammett or something..
I've stared at that M-II NTB on the ESP website for awhile and is it really the same except the inlays and KH signature? Otherwise I think I would go for the M-II NTB if it is exactly the same.
As far as I'm aware the only real difference between the M-II and the KH signature is the pickups and possibly the set up on the trem. If you were to get a M-II and swap the pick-ups for a set of EMG 81s you'd pretty much be playing the same guitar, without the signature on it. I could be mistaken on this though I don't think I am.
Quote by Cizzie
True, but I don't think I'll ever really hate Hammett or something..
I've stared at that M-II NTB on the ESP website for awhile and is it really the same except the inlays and KH signature? Otherwise I think I would go for the M-II NTB if it is exactly the same.

Basically. Alder body, 24 frets, same trem, EMG 81 set, even the same paint job. That way if you do someday end up hating Hammett, you'll still be able to play your guitar without any shame.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Feb 26, 2007,
Aha allright but now Newman says the pick-ups are different and you (^) say they're both stuffed with EMG 81 pick-ups.. I'll check it out.

Edit: Both got EMG 81's! So.. there's no difference except the inlays, the signature on the guitar and the big fat price tag ?!
Last edited by Cizzie at Feb 26, 2007,
pretty much yeah
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by Mwoit

That's all cool and stuff but those guitars you showed me both have a bolt-on construction and I'd like a neck thru one for better high fret acces.. So I guess it will still be a little bit more expensive than what you showed me.

By the way, I'm not so sure if I like the KH inlays . I mean.. it's kind of satanic or something, you know? I'm not really into that. When I'm going to the USA this summer I'll deffinatley try out the ESP M-II NTB !! Oh and I'm probably gonna buy a bluesgrass banjo there too (anyone happen to know some good brands?) (not gonna buy the ESP.. way too expensive!)
The M-II NTB and the KH-s NTB aren't exactly the same. The KH has the signature and the inlays, but it also has 2 volume /1 tone knobs, while the M-II only has 1 volume. So the KH-2 will be better. But well, also more expensive. You'll see what yo prefer ^^'
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby