USA
126 28%
UK
308 67%
Other
24 5%
Voters: 458.
Page 1 of 6
Which country produces better comedians? The US or UK (I know the UK isnt a country, but whatever).

UK has:
John Cleese
Rowan Atkinson
Ricky Gervais
etc.

US has:
I dont really know any american comedians...
but they have Scrubs

Feel free to enlighten me on more comedians. Not stand-up comedians, however. More like "have their own show" kind of comedians (ie Monty Python, Blackadder, and The Office, respectively).
Your signature says it all. That scene is so briliant. And true. Only the Pythons could come up with such a great subtle paradox.

And as for The Office: compare the british version to the American --> UK produces better comedians.
In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely considered a bad move.
(Blackadder = Monty Python) > all

Conclusion: UK kicks USA's butts regarding comedy. Besides, American comedy these days is all about a black man making jokes about intolerance :p.
Quote by PollutedSoul
(Blackadder = Monty Python) > all

Conclusion: UK kicks USA's butts regarding comedy. Besides, American comedy these days is all about a black man making jokes about intolerance :p.

wow i actually lol'd, and i live in america...because it is true, and they talk about politics but thats it
I think I am the ony person that like US's humor better for some reason. I have watched some UK comedy shows/movies and it seems so weird to me. eh, I guess it's just me...
well i think historically the british have had better shows led by monty python, black adder, etc . But as comics its quite tied and personally i know more americans. English - all the montys, cook, and my favourite is that guy that dreeses as a women that i cant remember his name now. Americans - george carlin, jon stewart ,richard prior eddie murphy dave chapelle, chris rock, robin wiliams and those are just the big famous ones.
Quote by Masamune
I think I am the ony person that like US's humor better for some reason. I have watched some UK comedy shows/movies and it seems so weird to me. eh, I guess it's just me...

You need to be given a big dose of Monty Python. Rent "The Life of Brian."

That should cure you in no time.

Edit:
to Belsius: You dont actually like Eddy Murphy, and Robin Williams, do you? Gaah... Robin Williams is my most hated actor ever, apart from Tom Cruise.
Mitch Hedberg ftw
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Well i can tell you for sure that the US version of the office is better than the european version. no question, overall i like US comedy better. Although the canadian show trailer park boys is damn funny. but thats canada.
Quote by Izathatch
The only funny thing about Mitch Hedberg is he's dead.

hehe. I lol'ed.

Original Office > Crap American copy
intelligent and slightly insane british humour FTW.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by sowhat360
Well i can tell you for sure that the US version of the office is better than the european version. no question, overall i like US comedy better. Although the canadian show trailer park boys is damn funny. but thats canada.

You, sir, are an idiot. The UK Office is far far far better. The actor cast as Gareth in the American one is all wrong, and he's quite simply the best character in the show. As is the UK Red Dwarf, the US one makes sense, IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO!
you havent seen their monologos their just amazzing seriously check them out. And they have done a thousand movies that suck

Eddie murphies raw and delirious are the most politically incorrest shit that i have ever seeen. And believe me i have seen a LOT of monologues. You wont believe your eyes. Only match by richard priors.

No im not black
Last edited by Belsius at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by Snakexe
You, sir, are an idiot. The UK Office is far far far better. The actor cast as Gareth in the American one is all wrong, and he's quite simply the best character in the show. As is the UK Red Dwarf, the US one makes sense, IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO!

They have an American Red Dwarf?

RIMMER FTW
If you've seen Spaced then you won't ever question British humour again.
"Genital Grinders," the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. Embodiment to join.
Quote by WtrPlyr
UK definately.. USA humer isn't humor at all

Because it's "humor"
Sent from my iPad.
So if Jim Jeffries is an Australian living in the UK, does that make his comedy British?

We have shows like Nevermind the Buzzcocks, QI, and Mock the Week.

However saying that some American comedians are pretty damn good, like George Carlin.

EDIT: Jim Jeffries is pretty offensive, so don't watch if you get offended easily.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Last edited by Jakeylee111 at Feb 26, 2007,
i definately have to go with USA. i mean my favorite movie is montey python and the holy grail, but thats the only funny british thing that ive seen (except for salad fingers, but i dont know if that counts...). i think that the american version of the office is far better than the british.
but i will give the british this, they have kick-ass accents.
*sob* i couldn't think of anything to put here*sob*
Last edited by hotlove at Feb 26, 2007,
US Comedians:
Dane Cook
Mitch Hedberg
Steven Wright
Brian Regan
Sam Kennison

end of discussion

EDIT: To the guy that said "American is not humour". I can only laugh at cross dressers so much. Don't get me wrong, Flying Circus is amazing, but about 5 minutes of cross dressing makes me go, "Meh... ok next idea."
Quote by smb
Americans can't even spell humour.

Ever heard of dialect?

You're a tool.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
Ever heard of dialect?

You're a tool.

Oh lighten up, you fat, ignorant tosser who doesn't know where Europe is.

Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by Jakeylee111
Oh lighten up, you fat, ignorant tosser who doesn't know where Europe is.

Don't make me bring up sports...

At least we excell in sports we give a damn about.

GO CHIEFS!
GO ROYALS!!! ok maybe not royals.

Boo Cricket! Crickets are bugs!
British humor is moronic and ridiculous. They think they're being subtle, but they're not. Recycling the same stupid puns over and over doesn't qualify as wit.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
There is some good US comedy, but UK comedy pwns it mercilessly.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
No one appreciates a good fart joke anymore, why does comedy need to be intelligent in the first place?
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
My perspective on humor is contrary to popular opinion. I think Americans have better humor. I absolutely love Saturday Night Live, the Daily Show with John Stewart, Eddie Murphy (arguably the most intelligent comedian ever) , Jim Carrey...the list goes on my friends.
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
i like both but to the person above jim carey in my eyes is unwatchable... and also the britsh office is far better because its was low budget and truely captured the essence of working in in a office where as the amercian's as pair usual throw loads of money at theres and the jokes are still there but the context is'nt
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas?
--Joseph Stalin
Ross Noble is ****ing hilarious! And the Fast Show is genius, british comedy ftw!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
monty python>america stephen colbet>america stephen colbert=monty python. i digress.
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
Quote by Ledhead82048
is it just me or has this thread plummeted into another America vs. Britain thread

britain owned us
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...