Would I be able to find a decent pre amp at £100 that will take a mic and guitar? Currently I have a my guitar=>amp=>Pc which I have yet to try, do I connect that to the line in connection in the back of my PC? Then how do I configure that to work on Audacity?

Also Microphone, if I get a mic how can I connect it to my PC without a preamp, as the jacks on the mics are a different shape to a normal guitar jacks so I cant get an adapter?
You can get one of these for about £80,

I'm intending to buy one pretty soon, the preamps in it are supposed to be a lot better than you would get in a similarly priced mixer or one of those USB/Firewire interfaces. It has a jack input for guitar and an XLR input for a mic (which is what I presume the connector on your mic is) if you had a preamp like that, you would need a mic like an SM57 to get the best out of it (so you would be going guitar>amp>mic>preamp>PC) all this is assuming you have a reasonably good PC soundcard that is capable of recording stuff while playing other stuff back.

You could get an adaptor that went from female XLR to male jack (or more likely 1/8" jack) and that would do what you want (mic to PC) but a mic going straight into a PC souncard without any kind of preamp stage tends to sound a bit crap.
I'm intending to buy one pretty soon, the preamps in it are supposed to be a lot better than you would get in a similarly priced mixer or one of those USB/Firewire interfaces

I'd be SHOCKED if the preamps in this thing sounded any better or worse than anything else in its price bracket.

Of course, the difference between a Mackie and a Neve is pretty subtle if for the average home recording beginner. You can hear it in my preamp shootout: http://www.recordingreview.com/articles/articles/6/1/Guitar--Bass-Preamp-Shootout-API-Vintech-Great-River-Mackie-and-Presonus/Guitar--Bass-Preamp-Shootout.html

Brandon
Quote by brandondrury
I'd be SHOCKED if the preamps in this thing sounded any better or worse than anything else in its price bracket.
Brandon

That preamp was recommended to me when I asked a very similar question in this thread:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=217999

I was assuming that if you were comparing buying a £100 interface or mixer with buying a £100 preamp, then the fact that you'd be paying for a load of extra features that you might not need if you bought the interface, might mean that they might be using a cheaper preamp than the one you'd get in the VTB-1.

That link doesn't work, btw