Hi guys first post

Well I am going to get my first electric guitar + amp etc. as its my first I have no skill in tone by ear apart from listening to different bands etc. so i cant just go into a music shop i choose a quality guitar if you know what I mean

I hope to play things ranging from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers to System of a Down and Metallica.
Looking at user reviews of the Yamaha Pacifica 112L (left-handed :P) and the Roland Cube 15 being good starters and for practice I was thinking of getting them,

What do you guys suggest for a first guitar + AMP for a leftie??
Also I live far away from cities in Ireland

Thanks for all the replies
Pacifica isnt too bad for the price. It'll last you long and it can range from all sorts of music depending on your amp settings. and the roland cube isnt bad neither. 15 watt is good enough for starters... But ive never tried either, but for what i've heard...
ESP Fan
Owner Of:
ESP Standard Horizon NT II transparent Cherry
A good starting guitar is a yamaha. Be sure to get an amp with bass-mid-and treble and about 25 watts is good to start. You're going to want overdrive/distortion if you're playing hard rock. That's probably the best advice I can give a new guitar player considering you don't know much just yet.
"Looking at user reviews of the Yamaha Pacifica 112L (left-handed :P) and the Roland Cube 15 being good starters and for practice I was thinking of getting them,"

Them.
buy the "rockkit" from Marshall( Guitar,Amp,Tuner,Picks,Cable...)
the problem on the guitar is that it has only 21frets
the amp has 15 watt
i paid 300euros for that
i think its good for beginners
but i dont know if this guitar is avaible for lefties...
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

if i were you i'd get a strat or something along those lines. you'll want to keep that longer than the yamaha and its probably not that much more expensive.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Thanks for all the replies guys Have some good Karma

I think I will get the Pacifica 112L and the Roland Cube 15/30

What other extras would I need like strings and such? What tuner , metronome , plecks etc. would you recommend for the guitar?

EDIT: I hope ordering online is ok? I think I will need a guitar lead/jack aswell
Last edited by plankermaxx at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by Toast1337
the amp has 15 watt
i paid 300euros for that

what do you mean only 21 frets? seriously, you dont need 22. i guess you should get the rokkit pack.

but you can always get a rightie pack and switch it leftie.
DO NOT GET A ROLAND CUBE 15.

The Microcube is wayyyyyyyyy better.

The Cube 15 doesn't have any amp models or effects. It's just like any other boring practice amp.

Quote by Toast1337
the amp has 15 watt
i paid 300euros for that

You can do a lot better than that for the price (particularly in the amp department).

Threadstarter, what's your budget?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Feb 26, 2007,
Thanks for all the replies guys Have some good Karma

I think I will get the Pacifica 112L and the Roland Cube 15/30

What other extras would I need like strings and such? What tuner , metronome , plecks etc. would you recommend for the guitar?

EDIT: I hope ordering online is ok? I think I will need a guitar lead/jack aswell

Make sure you order the Cube 30L - it's the left handed model

Get yourself a decent cable, don't get one of the horrible ones with molded jack plugs, they last about a week. Tuner wise it doesn't matter too much, but it's worth getting a pitch pipe too. An electric tuner is great, but it's helpful to learn to tune by ear too, in much the same way that calculators are good, but you should still learn to add up without one. Stringswise it'll come with gauge 9 strings, Ernie Balls or D'adarrios will be good replacements. Plectrumwise I'd get something medium, maybe green tortex ones (.60mm). Thinner picks seem easier and faster but you have very little control over them because they flap around. Get a book too, something like "Guitar for Dummies" or "The Complete Guitarist" - they have everything from the basics to advanced stuff, and also take you through things logically, gradually increasing the skill level.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

The more I browse the bigger it gets it seems... hmmm well I see I have two budgets 1. : Get a starter guitar something like the Pacifica €220 + something like a Cube €100 + extras = €350 /£240

Budget 2 : Is what you and this forum is convincing me to do. Which would be the best bang for buck like mid range gear. But you have to remember I am a lefty I would put this budget (well if you can convince me) up to €500/£340 incl everything complete package. I could go further put I havent decided what type of music to go for...

Are you sure about the Micro Cube it looked very small and is built to run on batterys?

Thanks for all the replys everyone

Anyway Ill keep browsing...
Quote by plankermaxx

Are you sure about the Micro Cube it looked very small and is built to run on batterys?

It can run on batteries, but you can plug it in as well.

The reason why people like the Roland Cube Series is because it has pretty decent amp modeling. Every single Cube has this amp modeling *EXCEPT* the Cube 15 (for some reason). I own a Cube 15. Don't buy it.

Lemme fish around and see if there's some place I can check out UK guitars and prices for ya .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by steven seagull
Make sure you order the Cube 30L - it's the left handed model

Get yourself a decent cable, don't get one of the horrible ones with molded jack plugs, they last about a week. Tuner wise it doesn't matter too much, but it's worth getting a pitch pipe too. An electric tuner is great, but it's helpful to learn to tune by ear too, in much the same way that calculators are good, but you should still learn to add up without one. Stringswise it'll come with gauge 9 strings, Ernie Balls or D'adarrios will be good replacements. Plectrumwise I'd get something medium, maybe green tortex ones (.60mm). Thinner picks seem easier and faster but you have very little control over them because they flap around. Get a book too, something like "Guitar for Dummies" or "The Complete Guitarist" - they have everything from the basics to advanced stuff, and also take you through things logically, gradually increasing the skill level.

I dunno about anyone else, but I could swear my hearing changes from time to time, making it difficult for me to tune by ear. I agree about learning how to do that though. The Korg-GA30 tuner was cheap, works well, and plays a reference tone to tune by ear.

Bookwise, I'm only about a month into learning, and I'm finding the books by Hal Leonard to be pretty nice. Those books, as well as playing around with tabs, now and then, have been keeping things fun and interesting.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Here's an alternative to the Pacifica:

Vintage V6.

If you want to play heavier music:

Vintage VS6

I like the hardware that Vintage uses.

And btw, the only reviews that I pay any attention to are the ones at www.harmony-central.com. Most reviews done elsewhere are mostly by people who just got their equipment and are really excited about having something new, so they give really high scores.

Since you're on that side of the pond, you should look into some Laney amps:

Maybe a Laney LX20D
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Feb 26, 2007,
Im thinking of the Ibanez RG370DXL with a MicroCube now Just need to get some $$

I can only find reviews for the RG370DX but Im sure its the same as the DXL ??
Im thinking of the Ibanez RG370DXL with a MicroCube now Just need to get some $$

I can only find reviews for the RG370DX but Im sure its the same as the DXL ??

The L means "Left handed"...but it's a bad choice - don't get anything with a Floyd-type or any other floating tremolo, they're too much of a hindrance for beginners. Ideally get something with a fixed bridge, or a strat-style tremolo like on the pacifica as they aren't too complex. If you start out with a floating bridge you'll probably end up quitting before you've even managed to tune the thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Damn ok I will stick to the Pacifica Thanks mate

Now then I need the best AMP for practicing seeing as I feel like spending money now lol

EDIT : I cant find the Ibanez RG321 in left handed
I currently play the acoustic right handed and I am decent at it but I feel no rythm (sp) so i decided to try a Left Handed Electric and if i prefer right well then good as its easier to buy them
yeah, its better to go for the microcube than the cube 15.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Don't get a lefty guitar, I'm a lefty and I play righty, it'll make finding a guitar hell. It doesn't make a bit of difference in learning to paly.

And about the guitar, the pacifica is very nice.
Dickless.
Quote by FacingUsAll
DO NOT GET A ROLAND CUBE 15.

The Microcube is wayyyyyyyyy better.

The Cube 15 doesn't have any amp models or effects. It's just like any other boring practice amp.

+! on the cube, and +1 on the budget.

Assuming a starter budget, the yamaha and microcube would be a nice choice. I hear good things about the vox da5 amp too (it's a similar idea to the microcube), but haven't been able to try it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey once again guys

Now Im set upon the Vintage VL 100 TSB and a Roland Cube 60
Is the Vintage fine for to begin learning on like no complicated tuning pegs etc ?
I heard good things about the Cube 60 but im not sure about the Vintage Guitar ???

Thanks

EDIT: Or how about the Cort G250 instead ???
Last edited by plankermaxx at Mar 1, 2007,