Hey,

I have been wondering, maybe a bit noob I think you call it, but whats the difference between the 800 and 900, is it just that one is better for modern metal, and how do they compare to the current tsl and dsl series, are they equivalent just renamed.

I see the 800 heads on ebay at quite good prices for a head but are they worth it. I was considering a laney combo, but maybe a head a cab with an attenuator will be a good option
What kind of music do you play?

The JCM-800 is really nice, and with pedals you can get a lot of tones out of it, except perhaps really heavy stuff. The gainiest it can probably go with pedals is 80's metal, that sorta thing. Really nice tone thought.

The JCM-900 is gainer and more modern sounding. I wasn't a huge fan of it compared to the 900, but there are those who love it, and tbh probably can work it better than me. Think nineties rock sound.

The TSL is gainy and very modern voiced, but I find it a bit harsh and too mid/trebly. The DSL is a very nice amp, very versatile, however whilst it has good clean, crunch and lead tone, it does not have the BEST. A jack of all trades, but a master of none, but a very useble, good amp.

As I say though, what music do you like/play? It'll help us recommend...
The JCM-800 is the most vintage sounding of them all, and is best for 80's metal, and is probably the lowest gain of all three. The cleans on these are good for the most part, except on the dual reverb series.

The JCM-900 is a higher gain than the 800, and more modern sounding, in my experience the 900 had the worst cleans, but that may have just been me.

The JCM-2000 is the highest gain of the three, and the most modern sounding, some people may say though that the 2000 is the most versatile, because you can get a Dual Channel or Triple Channel one.

IMO they are all good amps, but dont try and get a 900 and play more vintage stuff, and dont try and get a 800 and play extremely heavy stuff without any pedals. All good amps for what they are made to do.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
well I like metallica, the first 3 records particularly, iron maiden, trivium, testament, king diamond, opeth, a whole range of stuff like that, I love the 80's tone but don't want to shoe box myself. I hear the 800 can do BLS which I love too
The JCM 800 is my favorite amp ever made, my best friend has one, and I am currently saving for one. With a pedal in front of them you can get higher gain stuff.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Quote by VRGNR08
The JCM-800 is the most vintage sounding of them all, and is best for 80's metal, and is probably the lowest gain of all three. The cleans on these are good for the most part, except on the dual reverb series.

The JCM-900 is a higher gain than the 800, and more modern sounding, in my experience the 900 had the worst cleans, but that may have just been me.

The JCM-2000 is the highest gain of the three, and the most modern sounding, some people may say though that the 2000 is the most versatile, because you can get a Dual Channel or Triple Channel one.

IMO they are all good amps, but dont try and get a 900 and play more vintage stuff, and dont try and get a 800 and play extremely heavy stuff without any pedals. All good amps for what they are made to do.

Cleans on the 800 are total trash unless its a single channel. The dual channel cleans are naturally super mid heavy and since they have no mid control (on that channel) you can't dial it out. But they are easily one of the best amps ever made for distortion.

The 900's have lots of different models. If you get one get one with EL34's. Do not get one with 5881's. They sound really tinny. The 900's have the best cleans out of all the JCM's.

Don't even worry about the DSL or TSL. Get an 800. Its an amazing amp. I've owned two. Only reason I got rid of them was to get my STiletto Ace, which sounds like a hotrodded 800. So even now I still love that sound.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by turkish_bathmat
but the only play to get an 800 would be second hand or ebay or something like that yeah?

They don't really make JCM800's anymore. I don't consider the new JCM800 2203x reissue a true JCM800, it doesn't even compare.
The only way to get a real JCM800 is to buy used, which shouldn't be any problem whatsoever.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Yeah, the cleans on the dual channel 800 are garbage. The didnt really take it serious when i played the 900, so i just plugged in and messed around. I think the DSL and TSL are good amps if that is what you are looking for, but i agree the 800 is the best. Also if you need a little more gain, but like the 800 sound, look into the Jubilee series.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
more vintage gain and 80s thrash= jcm800

More moderny coming into 90s metal to modern metal= jcm900

Jcm2000 is pretty much up to now realllly modern distortion i think but the dsl is better than the tsl IMO

all just my opinions of them as metal amps.