Hello, I'm a high school senior and I'll be taking music in college next fall. I would like to know what will be expected of me as an incoming freshman music major. In other words, what level of skill (aural, technichal, theory ect.) will they expect me to already have?
Depends on the school, but you can usually tell by what they require for an audition.
Hi, I'm Peter
You will probably have to play your instrument during an audition to be considered for the music program. Some schools have a very selective program while others are pretty lax, so the intensity of the selection process and the expectations will vary from school to school. I only know what was told to me by a music major at my college, though. No personal experience.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
^ Well, some schools not only want you to play, but want you to do things like sing back pitches, sight read, and other aural/practical skills besides just play. It really depends on the school.
Hi, I'm Peter
im not sure about all colleges. I plan on attending Berklee when im old enough (im only a freshman now, but i have been looking at it and looking foreward to it for months). This might give you an idea

www.berklee.edu
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

i went to berklee. you have to do a prepaired peice, some very easy sight reading, some aural skills, play some scales and chords. and my favorite, the thing that pretty much got me my scholarship, improv.
Quote by rixills
i went to berklee. you have to do a prepaired peice, some very easy sight reading, some aural skills, play some scales and chords. and my favorite, the thing that pretty much got me my scholarship, improv.

How was it there, and how tough are the judges? What song did you play, and what stlyes did you improv in?

Also..what kinds of classes did you take, and do you feel like you learned as much as you expected to while you were there?
sorry if i sound annoying..just curious
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
How was it there, and how tough are the judges? What song did you play, and what stlyes did you improv in?

Also..what kinds of classes did you take, and do you feel like you learned as much as you expected to while you were there?
sorry if i sound annoying..just curious

its cool, you dont sound annoying, i wish i had had a chance to talk to someone that went there before i went.
the judges i had were really cool. i played tears in heaven for my audition. i already got flamed earlier for playing such an easy song, so please no one do that again, haha. one of the juddges asked what kind of stuff i was into, and we tialked about some of my influences. (im a blues player) We just jammed over a blues for about 10 minutes, it was pretty cool, i was lucky enough get a guitar player as a judge, so we traded solos.

unfortanetly, your first semester, they choose classes for you. but one cool class i had was called guitar performance lab III. And, i learned alot lot there, i improved greatly in that first semester. but not because of the classes. after the second week i stopped going to classes and played guitar about ten hours a day. also everyweekend i would jam with musicians who were much better than me, and that helped me more than anything.

Now, i dont want to bash berklee too much, for some people its a great experience. some people who go there, who are already seasoned veterans really enjoy being there. i was fresh out of high school, and every one else in that lab was at least 21, but some were almost 40. also, people that are just f---ing sick musicains take classes that challenge them in the first semester so they enjoy it. and people who managed to get in despite there lacking in some areas end up loving it, because they learn everything they need to know that first semester. but for people like me, who are very solid players, but arent incredible, end up in classes that are just below our level, so oyu get very bored. but if your interested in it, i really recomend you look into it.
Quote by rixills
its cool, you dont sound annoying, i wish i had had a chance to talk to someone that went there before i went.
the judges i had were really cool. i played tears in heaven for my audition. i already got flamed earlier for playing such an easy song, so please no one do that again, haha. one of the juddges asked what kind of stuff i was into, and we tialked about some of my influences. (im a blues player) We just jammed over a blues for about 10 minutes, it was pretty cool, i was lucky enough get a guitar player as a judge, so we traded solos.

unfortanetly, your first semester, they choose classes for you. but one cool class i had was called guitar performance lab III. And, i learned alot lot there, i improved greatly in that first semester. but not because of the classes. after the second week i stopped going to classes and played guitar about ten hours a day. also everyweekend i would jam with musicians who were much better than me, and that helped me more than anything.

Now, i dont want to bash berklee too much, for some people its a great experience. some people who go there, who are already seasoned veterans really enjoy being there. i was fresh out of high school, and every one else in that lab was at least 21, but some were almost 40. also, people that are just f---ing sick musicains take classes that challenge them in the first semester so they enjoy it. and people who managed to get in despite there lacking in some areas end up loving it, because they learn everything they need to know that first semester. but for people like me, who are very solid players, but arent incredible, end up in classes that are just below our level, so oyu get very bored. but if your interested in it, i really recomend you look into it.

thats great, and I wouldn't flame you for tears of heaven, really melodic and beautiful piece (no matter how many times its overplayed)

im plannin to audition for berklee in october, got just about everything down, just recording some original compositions at the moment to give them on a cd

big blues lover myself, hope i get to improv with the same teacher haha, theres nothin like the bluessss

do you have an aol screen-name? i'd want to talk to you about the auditions more into depth if I can, help out another kid with some musical ambition haha