Page 1 of 2
Which one has the most range and is "good" for lots of styles of play. doesn't have to be the prime choice, but it can play lots of genre's with ease.
I would go for the Les Paul becaus it´s very good for rock, punk, metal, blues, hardrock, maybe some jazz and country . It has much more punch tha a strat because of the 2 Humbuckers. And the upper fret playability isn´t that bad as most people say. Also it has 22 frets yo you can bend easier to the very high e.
I heard you can get a Strat to sound close to a LP, but you could never get a LP to sound close to a strat.

I shall wait for more opinions if they come. I notice threads here seem to have 3, 4 times more views then comments.
The epiphone man....the fender only has single coils and isnt gonna take a decent amount of distortion very well.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
always choose fender for different styles well thats my opinion at least.

well it depends in what youre going to concentrate more. Of its blues rock jazz etc.. fender. Otherwise i supose les paul
Quote by Symphonic Waves
I heard you can get a Strat to sound close to a LP, but you could never get a LP to sound close to a strat.

I shall wait for more opinions if they come. I notice threads here seem to have 3, 4 times more views then comments.

No way, Both sound way different. Unless you would get a strat with a humbucker.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Fat strat is the way to go my friend. oh and all the people who aer saying that you cant get a metal tone from a strat, your wrong, i get a decent enough tone for metal from my squire.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by SG6578
The epiphone man....the fender only has single coils and isnt gonna take a decent amount of distortion very well.

Hmmm, I would like to experiment with different effects and what not.

A "fat" strat? I'll have to find what that is, and how much.
Last edited by Symphonic Waves at Feb 26, 2007,
id say strat but thats my personal preference on tone.but as for people saying you cant get a good distortion sound off a strat thats ridiculous.
yeah single coil(strats) doesnt mean that you cant blow up ears with distortion if thats what you want. But getting a fat strat could be a good idea.

A fat strat has two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge generally. A humbucker is whats commonly known to get a heavier sound. So its a guitar that can get a good range of sounds. They are almost the same prize i think. Still you should check normal strats anyway.
Last edited by Belsius at Feb 26, 2007,
I'm getting as many good choices as I can. I tried looking online and can't find these fat strats. I can find things telling me what they are, but no online stores seem to have them.
try typing in Fender HSS strat. Its basically the same thing. Gibsons are not for everyone some people hate the necks. Fenders pretty musch suit anyones needs.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
try typing in Fender HSS strat. Its basically the same thing. Gibsons are not for everyone some people hate the necks. Fenders pretty musch suit anyones needs.

I wouldn't be able to afford a Gibson regardless.
I went to see the Deftones last night, and I feel totally converted to the idea of getting heavy sounds out of Fenders. I am also still hurting, Soundwave festival was just insane.

Have you considered a squire HH Telecaster custom? Dirt cheap, looks cool, pretty flexible.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I think I'm gonna get the fat Strat...but is a fat strat different from the HSS? If so, oh god.

There are like, 5 million guitars to choose from.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
I think I'm gonna get the fat Strat...but is a fat strat different from the HSS? If so, oh god.

There are like, 5 million guitars to choose from.

Fat Strat has HSS combo... basically, you can get sexy cleans with your neck single coil pickup and your dirty distortion with your bridge pickup. Price wise, they should be the same. A Standard strat has SSS combo.
There's also the double fat strat which means two humbuckers and no single coils.
The price should be the same if you look at musiciansfriend.com or guitarcenter.com (their prices tend to match on the most). When you ad a strat in the pot, it gets a lot harder to choose which guitar to buy (I'm also between two decisions with the fender on one side).
i own both an epi lp and a standard strat (which has been modded to have a HB at the bridge) and i say u should take the strat no contest, because of the wide variety of tones available, is really light (good for your back ) without losing alot of sustain, and has the whammy bar which you can use whenever it takes your fancy.
all round i definitely say strat
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Quote by Der Bomber
There's also the double fat strat which means two humbuckers and no single coils.
The price should be the same if you look at musiciansfriend.com or guitarcenter.com (their prices tend to match on the most). When you ad a strat in the pot, it gets a lot harder to choose which guitar to buy (I'm also between two decisions with the fender on one side).

So instead of HSS it's HHS or something? I think I'll go with the HSS.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
So instead of HSS it's HHS or something? I think I'll go with the HSS.

the H stand for humbucker and the S stands for Single coil

thefore the Les Paul would be a HH
and the Strat would be a SSS

and hence the fat strat is a HSS

Its just a shortform way of describing the pickups on the guitar.
Fender Standard Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan JB in Bridge)
Epiphone Explorer
Marshall MG100DFX 100 watt combo
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Morely Vol Volume (vintage 1975)
could be, i'm not sure. You could maybe find out what it sounds like by searching for it, a lot of people are reviewing their guitars by video in youtube.com
Quote by Symphonic Waves
But then wouldn't it lack the strat sound?

Sorta. IMO the Strat sound is mainly single coils.... mmm...
The most versitile guitar for you would probly be a fat strat with the humbucker coil tapped if its possible. that way you can flip a switch or push/pull on a knob to turn the humbucker into a single coil. it would still sound like a strat, but you could make it sound like pretty much anything
Yeah, the single coils are the originals + you could mod your guitar if you would ever get bored of it (Which I doubt you will )
The epiphone is more versatile, although i'm not saying it is the better guitar. You will always get that rock punch tone which the strat simply couldnt do. The epi does vertually all, the strat is best for blues.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Quote by tristan123/
The epiphone is more versatile, although i'm not saying it is the better guitar. You will always get that rock punch tone which the strat simply couldnt do. The epi does vertually all, the strat is best for blues.

What about the Fat Strat?
Ye you could look into them, as people have mentioned. I don't know too much, but they do have a humbucker bridge pup, and single neck, so you could get the best of both worlds. Ultimately, try them if possible, cos its music taste.
It remains that the epi (for cheaper) and Gibson lp's are the king of rock n roll, but strats do it well too. Either way, the fat strat has decent reputation, and its cheap.
Don't forget, you can always change pickups in the epi or strat even for a small amount.

Maybe look on youtube at fatstrat vids.
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

also what amp are you using, you may be better off getting a better amp, as that has the most effect on your versatility of your tone.
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

Question, how do you know if you're a right of left handed guitar player?

I googled it, but alot of the times the images are just flipped, or need to be flipped.
the telecaster has better tone overall...just no tremolo
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
nope telecaster has honestly the best tone... the strats have theyre great neck pick ups, but the single coils are weak when distorted... teles have great cleans and distortion from its two single coils... its just a matter of preference though
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
*sigh* I have to try the strats. I didn't take into consideration the fact that I'm LEFT handed, which severely limits my choice of guitars. I'm not seeing a HSS for lefties, so a standard strat is what I'm gonna have to go for. That or a Epi LP.

Now I'm stuck right back where I was. Except this time I can't even get it in plaintop I don't think if I went for the epi.
Page 1 of 2