Ok right now for my guitar set up I have a Yamaha APX 500 electro acoustic which I love lots and on the electric side I have a Squier Affinity Telecaster which came in a pack with a nasty little 10 watt amp, I paid £150 for it 8/9 months ago which was my first 6 string.

Alas, now I hate it and after playing one friend's Jazzmaster and another friends 77 Tele it feels like absolute tat. And I know you can't get a great guitar for £150 but a small amount higher and something nice can be found. Luckily, by someone who knows nothing of guitars, I have been offered £200 for the Tele Pack. So I am taking this chance to upgrade a bit. At the moment I am between these options.

Guitars

Squier OBEY Graphic Strat HSS Dissent

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69706

I have played it and it feels so much better than my affinity series.

or more expensively

Fender Standard Strat HH

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=11741

Amps

Marshall MG15DFX Combo Amp

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=322

Roland Cube 15

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=8955

I play Hendrix, indie like Bloc Party / Libertines, Ska ie. Reel Big Fish, Metallica, Trivium - a load more aswell.

Any opinions you have of these or alternatives, I want a set up for under £450.
PS: No Ibanez's

Thx
Both of those amps are horrible.

This thread might have some info you are looking for.

I'll try to search through some links for ya.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The microcube looks tempting from the other thread, what is the wattage on them?
Here's a few GREAT guitars:

Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet

Parker PM10 (If you can stretch to the PM20, the Bubinga top looks dead sexy.

Washburn X30

These guitars play amazingly well and sound great.

For amps, check out some of the Laney practice amps (like the LX20D) or a Roland MicroCube/Cube 30 (NOT THE CUBE 15).

Quote by TCkarlos
The microcube looks tempting from the other thread, what is the wattage on them?

It's 2 watts
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I think a HSS is more versatile, but you could get a SSS for cheaper and later just slap in a single coil sized humbucker if you need a bit more output, and that way spend a bit more on a better amp.

Edit: But bear in mind, the neck on the mexican strat is not as nice as the Japs/American fenders.
Last edited by beckyjc at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by TCkarlos
apart from the pickups, is there any quality differences?

Nope.

I think the 3 guitars I listed are more suited to you than a standard strat (and are unquestionably built better), but whatever floats your boat .
Quote by utsapp89
Also, give Tokai and G&L a look into. They have strat models that are better quality for a similar price.
G&L aren't easy to get hold of in the uk by the looks of things, and ebay doesnt look promising
For that price range i would get... A washburn idol off ebay. i believe there is a company that sells seymour duncan equipped models for under 300. And the rest can go on a nice 30 watt amp (vox ad30/roland cube 30)
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
For that price range i would get... A washburn idol off ebay. i believe there is a company that sells seymour duncan equipped models for under 300. And the rest can go on a nice 30 watt amp (vox ad30/roland cube 30)

your still thinking of washburn.

x2. def. get a washburn.

my local shop is a diamond dealer ive seen the owner before.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by TCkarlos
Anyone got the either of the guitars I initially said?

The "Obey" series just gives you a crappy guitar and then charges you for the paint job.

I'm not a huge fan of MIM Strats (or Fender Strats in general; there are better strats out there) and I think that the dual-humbucker models don't sound that great.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by TCkarlos
Anyone got the either of the guitars I initially said?

I've played many fender MIM Strats, You can get ones that are just as good feeling as American strats, just make sure you try 'em all out.
Quote by TCkarlos

Out of the SEs, the Singlecut and the Soapbars are probably the best.
Quote by utsapp89
Are there any amps similar to the valvetronics but cheaper? Under 100 preferably
Quote by FacingUsAll
Here's a few GREAT guitars:

Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet

Parker PM10 (If you can stretch to the PM20, the Bubinga top looks dead sexy.

Washburn X30

These guitars play amazingly well and sound great.

For amps, check out some of the Laney practice amps (like the LX20D) or a Roland MicroCube/Cube 30 (NOT THE CUBE 15).

It's 2 watts

Great suggestions, but I don't think that the Gretsch would suit him very well. Definitely check out the other ones though.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!