Hey, I'm kinda a new guitarist (only been playin for a year) and recently, my precious white Epiphone Les Paul was stolen, so I have to buy a new guitar

Anywayz,

I am looking at two guitars at my local music shop right now, but I can't make up my mind. One of them is a black Epi Les Paul and the other is a Hamer Standard (the one that looks like an explorer). Both of them are still factory stock with all the original equipment still. Personally, I love Les Pauls, but the guy in the shop was saying that the Hamer would probably be better for the kind of music I play (Trivium,A7X,Pantera,Slayer....metal stuff).

I can't seem to make up my mind, and both of them are the same price, so could you guys help me out?

thnx
Well, im guessing both guitars are around $400-$500? am i right? If so, judging by the genre you play i would recommend buying an LTD or an ESP. Shecters are also really good for metal. i personally own and ESP and a Shecter Jollyroger. They both sound really good.
Child Pr0digy
That sucks! Sorry to hear about your LP being stolen. Both of those guitars are decent. I like the look of the Hamer standards(thanks to The Casualty pointing them out to me). But as you see I play a LP. It would come down to which one feels better to you. Never let a salesman, or anyone else for that matter, tell you what you should get. Sure take suggestions because people can turn you on to new things. But when it comes down to purchasing it, get the one that is right for you personally. Take into account how each one plays and sounds. Weigh heavily the pros and cons of both guitars. Just make sure you get what is right for YOU!
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
I have a hamer standard, its awsome.Its got a good tone to it ..The bad thing about it is that it weighs alot.
Thanx for all the help! I have looked at a couple of Schecters before, and while I love the way they sound while playing metal, they come off kinda awkward when I wanna play some more "classic" rock with my dad or friends. I am really interested in the Hamer because of the looks and the beautiful tone it can achieve clean, but I have yet to play it distorted, so I am kinda wondering if it will be able to sound as dirty as my old LP. Also, I had never heard of Hamer as a company before so I am unsure of their quality.

Sorry if I sound a bit noobish, I greatly appreciate your help!
Quote by OneWingedAngelN
Thanx for all the help! I have looked at a couple of Schecters before, and while I love the way they sound while playing metal, they come off kinda awkward when I wanna play some more "classic" rock with my dad or friends. I am really interested in the Hamer because of the looks and the beautiful tone it can achieve clean, but I have yet to play it distorted, so I am kinda wondering if it will be able to sound as dirty as my old LP. Also, I had never heard of Hamer as a company before so I am unsure of their quality.

Sorry if I sound a bit noobish, I greatly appreciate your help!

I also have never heard of hamer before but when i played i liked it.I have played it through a peavey amp (i know it was a classic chorus but not sure. the speakers were about 12 inches)through my digitech pedal and it sounds cool.
With the Schecters, roll off the tone knob a little bit and switch either to the neck pick-up or both and it will sound great clean. As far as your original question goes I would say go with the Hamer, they make quality instruments and have been around since at least the 80's if not before(I don't know all that much about the company, but I do like the guitars they make) Besides, everyone seems to play Epiphone Les Pauls, be different. Or you could save up a little more cash and get a Gibson Explorer, best of both worlds right there.
Another question then, If I go with the Hamer, then would it be wise to upgrade the pickups to EMG's like on an explorer or high end schecter, or would it be fine with the stock? I think it either comes with Duncan or Hamer pickups, I can't remember right now...I realize that the EMG's won't sound as great on my little Ibanez amp as on my friend's giant Line 6, but I've been reading lately that EMG's are the only way to go as far as pickups for metal guitarists.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, the only effects I use are a Boss distortion that kicks major ass, and Washburn Chorus that kinda sucks(Oh well, it only cost me 10 bucks lolz!) Thinkin about gettin a crybaby wah, but not sure if I really need it right now.
Quote by OneWingedAngelN
Another question then, If I go with the Hamer, then would it be wise to upgrade the pickups to EMG's like on an explorer or high end schecter, or would it be fine with the stock? I think it either comes with Duncan or Hamer pickups, I can't remember right now...I realize that the EMG's won't sound as great on my little Ibanez amp as on my friend's giant Line 6, but I've been reading lately that EMG's are the only way to go as far as pickups for metal guitarists.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, the only effects I use are a Boss distortion that kicks major ass, and Washburn Chorus that kinda sucks(Oh well, it only cost me 10 bucks lolz!) Thinkin about gettin a crybaby wah, but not sure if I really need it right now.

I know mine came with duncan designed pickups, i know that the ones with hamers are the expenive ones. Its youre choice to change the pickups or not
I'd say not to EMG actives because that's a headache... It'd be easier (and cheaper) to put Lace Sensor Drop & Gains in it. My understanding is that they have the tone of a Seymour Duncan JB with output/response of EMG actives... Which would be godly... I've yet to play them but I've never found a bad review or soundbite...

Oh and between those two the Hamer, all the way. If you can find and ESP Viper or something like that it might be worth a compairison...