Just as the title says, for stuff like Black Flag, Minor Threat, maybe some earlier AFI.

Don't worry about the budget too much, but do keep it reasonable.
I have no idea what to even start looking at, I'm upgrading from a Squier Strat and a Roland Cube 30.
Quote by Gigatiran
Does an XXX sound like a Rectifier?

After being in a band with a rhythm guitarist with the same guitar as me and a XXX, I will tell you it sounds as much like a Rec as a Roland Micro Cube does. But it is a decent amp if you are on a budget. TRY IT FOR YOURSELF AND SEE IF YOU LIKE IT!!! Don't expect it to sound like anything other than what it is.

Try every amp and guitar you can get your hands on! Go to guitar center or some other store and try as many amps and guitars as you can before they get fed up with you. Give the amps some volume too, so you can hear what they are truly capable of. I would also say to get a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge since you play punk and hardcore. You need the beefy tone that a humbucker puts out to give you the hardcore "chug" sound.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Last edited by myMesa8mybrain at Feb 26, 2007,
fender american strat and a fender hot rod deluxe

those two combined can create a wonderfully magnificent loud and badass sound for any kind of music. oh and its good that u had a strat already just the fender american has more of a humbucker sound, i mean if the pick up selector switch is in the center you are activating all the pickups and get a sound that is equal if not greater than the sound a humbucker on a gibson produces.
Quote by ry-animal
fender american strat and a fender hot rod deluxe

those two combined can create a wonderfully magnificent loud and badass sound for any kind of music. oh and its good that u had a strat already just the fender american has more of a humbucker sound, i mean if the pick up selector switch is in the center you are activating all the pickups and get a sound that is equal if not greater than the sound a humbucker on a gibson produces.

As much as I wish that more people would use single coil guitars and fender amps for punk, there is no way he can get the tones that he wants with them. Greg Ginn played a Dan Armstrong acrylic guitar through a solid state amp to get the harshest tones he could possibly get and Lyle from Minor Threat used a Les Paul into a a JCM 800(Not totally sure on the amp though) and a strat into a hot rod just wouldn't work. I would recommend an SG and a JCM 800 or 900 plus a booster. IMO amps like the recto would sound too smooth for Black Flag and Minor Threat, they would probably work for AFI though.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
yeah i agree. for a punk sound i'd definately check ouyt the Marshall JCM 800 and 900. If you want to get more versatile, go for a JCM2000 DSL100. They can usually be found used in Guitar Center and places considering their popularity.

As for guitar, for older punk i played a Gibson Melody Maker through a DSL100 and it sounded great. Good grinding buzzsaw distortion for what I was playing (I played Astro Zombies by The Misfits through it.)

But it depends on how high gain you want to go. I know Greg Ginn used a lot of gain. I play punk and my guitar has EMG 81/85s in it. It's a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser but it gives me all the gain I want, which is good if I'm in a Set It Straight sorta mood.

Sorry if my typing is confusing. it's late and I sort of just typed as I was thinking.
P.S. Gibson SGs are pretty much the standard for punk and hardcore nowadays so i'd look into those, as well as the Les Pauls. Look into Schecter too. They used to be a custom shop and Gibson parts supplier so check their guitars out too.