Page 1 of 2
so, i decided to not get a delay, because ill just be using my wah for solos, so a delay will not be needed for me.

so, i figured out what ill use to replace it. my finished line will look like this.

MXR 6BEQ - "Boost" - Metal Muff- TS808 - Big Muff - Crybaby - PT-100

what boost should i use? i want it something similar to a TS when the overdrive is all the way down and the level all the way up.

any ideas? i dont want it to add distortion, just boost. for those with a TS, try this. youll see what i mean.

thanks!

(I want a boost because i want the TS808 to be standalone overdrive so i have a booster for my solos)
ur a nice guy. but do u realize uve started 55 threads in the month of february alone?

if u want a boost then get a MXR micro amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
ur a nice guy. but do u realize uve started 55 threads in the month of february alone?

if u want a boost then get a MXR micro amp.

yes i realize. lol. leave me alone.

would the Micro Amp even have enough controls? because im worried on top of the metal muff itll get to muddy, thus i need to be able to have the ability to change the trebleness. (i realize it has one knob)
Quote by Arlabester
what boost should i use? i want it something similar to a TS when the overdrive is all the way down and the level all the way up.

How else would you use a Tube Screamer? That's how it's an overdrive.
Quote by mr_hankey
How else would you use a Tube Screamer? That's how it's an overdrive.

boost does not = overdrive.

if you have a ts set level to 10, tone to 10 and distortion to 0. that is boost, not od. od is when the distortion is higher.
Quote by Arlabester
boost does not = overdrive.

if you have a ts set level to 10, tone to 10 and distortion to 0. that is boost, not od. od is when the distortion is higher.

Boost does usually = overdrive, unless it's clean boost.

When I set the TS vol. to 10 and drive to 0, it pushes my amp into overdrive.
Quote by mr_hankey
Boost does usually = overdrive, unless it's clean boost.

When I set the TS vol. to 10 and drive to 0, it pushes my amp into overdrive.

volume and drive are the same....

not mine. mine puts it into breakup, but not overdrive.

jenny knows what im talking about.
Quote by Arlabester
volume and drive are the same....

not mine. mine puts it into breakup, but not overdrive.

jenny knows what im talking about.

Last time I checked overdrive was the same as breakup; am I missing something here?
Quote by mr_hankey
Last time I checked overdrive was the same as breakup; am I missing something here?

overdrive isnt break up. break up is like, slight fuzz. i want to add more power to my solos without distortion, as in when you take all the distortion out of the TS...
Quote by Arlabester
overdrive isnt break up. break up is like, slight fuzz. i want to add more power to my solos without distortion, as in when you take all the distortion out of the TS...

Fuzz comes from a fuzzbox. I think you're mixing up terms.
Quote by mr_hankey
Fuzz comes from a fuzzbox. I think you're mixing up terms.

lol, im not. i have a big muff. i know what fuzz is.

boost is like adding attack without distortion. thats the best i can do...
Quote by Arlabester
lol, im not. i have a big muff. i know what fuzz is.

boost is like adding attack without distortion. thats the best i can do...

Yes, sure, but that's clean boost. The boost I'm talking about is just like turning the volume up on the amplifier: overdrive.

If you keep the drive knob on the TS above 10 o'clock, you are just using it wrong.
Quote by mr_hankey
Yes, sure, but that's clean boost. The boost I'm talking about is just like turning the volume up on the amplifier: overdrive.

If you keep the drive knob on the TS above 10 o'clock, you are just using it wrong.

you cant use a pedal wrong. thats just not possible. unless you like hook it up. i have the Drive at 10, Dist. at 0 and tone at 10. thats the boost. drive 10, dist 6 and tone 10 is od.
MXR Micro amp, or turn your amp up and use your guitar's volume to control everything.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
MXR Micro amp, or turn your amp up and use your guitar's volume to control everything.

again, are you sure the micro amp would do it without distortion?
Quote by Arlabester
you cant use a pedal wrong. thats just not possible. unless you like hook it up. i have the Drive at 10, Dist. at 0 and tone at 10. thats the boost. drive 10, dist 6 and tone 10 is od.

Dist. knob?
It'd add a bit of it's own distortion.

If you don't want any, get a clean boost.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
ok please. anyone with a distortion that isnt a fuzz try this.

step 1. make sure the setup is amp - distortion- - ts - guitar

step 2. make sure the ts is at 0 distortion, 10 tone and 10 drive

step 3. play a solo, any solo, then add the ts. that is called bite.

thats what i mean.

and.

i switched the order.

once i get the boost it will be

EQ - TS808 - MM - "Boost" - BM - Wah - PT-100

so it MUST have a tone control. must. and it has to be like what i just said. i would just use my TS808 but i want standalone OD, and i dont want to get another TS.
Quote by Arlabester

step 2. make sure the ts is at 0 distortion, 10 tone and 10 drive

Dude, Tube Screamers don't have distortion controls.

(This is of course assuming you mean Tube Screamer when you say ts).
Quote by mr_hankey
Dude, Tube Screamers don't have distortion controls.

(This is of course assuming you mean Tube Screamer when you say ts).

srry. i mean OD. set the OD to 0, the level to 10 and the tone to 10. there.
Quote by Arlabester
srry. i mean OD. set the OD to 0, the level to 10 and the tone to 10. there.

Yes, that's what I do; and then I get overdrive.
Quote by mr_hankey
Yes, that's what I do; and then I get overdrive.

argh!

this is useless arguing with you! thats boost! i think its clean boost. i use it for soloboosting. it doesnt have OD, it has break up. theres a difference.
Quote by Arlabester
argh!

this is useless arguing with you! thats boost! i think its clean boost. i use it for soloboosting. it doesnt have OD, it has break up. theres a difference.

OK, my last attempt:

On the tube screamer, turn the drive down all the way, turn the level up all the way, ignore the tone knob. This will give a bit of a volume increase; but it will cause your amplifier to overdrive (this will obviously only work if you have a tube amplifier). This can also be used as a clean boost if you turn down the guitar's volume a bit.

You can also turn up the drive, and keep the level low. This will give you 'fake' overdrive, just clipping from the pedal itself. This doesn't sound very good.

The mistake most people make is to let the pedal do the clipping; instead of pushing the amp into overdrive.
i dont clip it. i use it for its own overdrive.

vol up, tone up, drive midway. thats overdrive.

i use "boost". an attack increase without added distortion. get it?
Quote by Arlabester
i dont clip it. i use it for its own overdrive.

vol up, tone up, drive midway. thats overdrive.

i use "boost". an attack increase without added distortion. get it?

Ah. I use it for dirty boost, with some added mids. I never touch the drive knob, because that defeats the purpose.
Quote by mr_hankey
Ah. I use it for dirty boost, with some added mids. I never touch the drive knob, because that defeats the purpose.

which is exactly why i want a boost pedal. i want to use my TS808 for actual overdrive.
Quote by mr_hankey

i wouldn't necessarily say defeats the purpose... it depends what you're after.

i like the hbe uno mos (or dos mos).

alternatively, if you like the tone of the ts with the od on 0, just buy another one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

IMO, if you're after good tone, you should put the drive on 0.
^ IMO, too, yep, but that assumes that we're correct when we say "good tone".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ IMO, too, yep, but that assumes that we're correct when we say "good tone".

we are.
^ i agree. More accurately, though, arlabester might not be after the tone that we term "good tone". Or might be after a different style of music. Also, if you're using a ts through a clean channel, you won't get too much boost having the pedal set up for "clean boost"

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i like the hbe uno mos (or dos mos).

alternatively, if you like the tone of the ts with the od on 0, just buy another one.

i was thinking of that, but it would cost more.

wouldnt anything with a vol, tone and distortion work?

i need something with at least vol and distortion.

i want a clean boost, but no added distortion.

if i got a MXR mini amp and set it to low to none, would it do what im describing?
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 26, 2007,
if i edit anymore my screen will freeze. so.

it looks like people use the micro amp for solo boosts for attack, exactly what im aiming for. thanks guys!
Ha All you are doing is arguing back and forth about who is right about overdrive and distortion.

Straight Answer. BBE Boost Grande. Boosts drive and volume for solos without changing tone.
Quote by Ubershall404
Ha All you are doing is arguing back and forth about who is right about overdrive and distortion.

Straight Answer. BBE Boost Grande. Boosts drive and volume for solos without changing tone.

^ made up my mind.

the boosta grande does the same thing as the micro amp, but the micro amp is a lil cheaper. im just gonna get the micro amp.
hey i know youve made up your mind but why not just get another tube screamer if you want a boost like it?

i've seen two on a board a lot of times
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by tbsff_7
hey i know youve made up your mind but why not just get another tube screamer if you want a boost like it?

i've seen two on a board a lot of times

well because.

idk.

its 2 more weeks of saving, and that would only be the TS9, plus the Micro Amp got rave reviews as a solo boost.
well it looks like the Micro Amp is just a volume increase.

does it add attack? cos i dunno if it does. cos thats what im after, as thats what my TS808 does.
^ i haven't tried the micro amp, but if it's adding signal at the front end, it should boost your tubes. dunno about attack.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2