I am going to apply to music school eventually, and I need to learn certain pieces for my audition. They are:

"One movement from a lute or cello suite or violin partita by Bach, arranged for guitar (not a simplified arrangement)"

"One study chosen from Twenty Studies by F. Sor OR Douze études by H. Villa Lobos, OR two Etudes simples by L. Brouwer "

and "One piece of your own choice. Suggested minimum level of difficulty: Grade 6 Royal Conservatory of Toronto"

First, anyone know where I can find transcriptions of these pieces online? Also, does anyone know how difficult Grade 6 Royal Conservatory of Toronto is?
Is this UofT?

either way, jazz, man, jazz!

your choice though.

Find yourself a teacher that's taught university level and knows their audition prep, they'll more than make up for the price (mine actually doesn't charge more than any other place in town) in getting you scholarship $$$
No, its Memorial University of Newfoundland. The music department is classically oriented, so do you think they would frown upon me using an electric guitar? I have a classical guitar, but I much prefer electric.
naw you'll have to do it on classical - can you even play classical properly on an electric? the string spacing is wierd...

is classical your preference? because SFX does jazz I believe.

also those "outrant this guy" ads are AWFUL
I would play those classical pieces on the acoustic, but do you think they would frown upon me doing an electric piece?

Where is SFX? Im not huge on classical to be honest, I much prefer jazz.
If you aren't interested in classical music then why join a classical program?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Because its all they offer around here. "classically oriented" just means they approach theory from a classical standpoint doesn't it? My old instructor went to school there, and he was definitely more into jazz than classical.
Quote by rofl2k2
Because its all they offer around here. "classically oriented" just means they approach theory from a classical standpoint doesn't it? My old instructor went to school there, and he was definitely more into jazz than classical.

You will be studying classical repetoire, looking at it from classical theory books, and playing classical music.

It's a pretty big difference than jazz, but it all depends... hmm

To say im not fond of classical music would be a lie, I just prefer Jazz more. Im not overly familiar with classical music really, I have a recording of the Four Seasons and I really like it. I am definitely a huge Jason Becker and Yngwie fan, and they are both huge on classical music. Do you think that Yngwie or Becker would go over with them?

I can't move to Nova Scotia, so thats not really an option.
That video ruled.

Well I guess I will learn to play classical guitar, it looks fun. Also, the school definitely doesn't hate on other genres, I just found out that they have a jazz band, among other things, and on the opening page they encourage students to listen to all kinds of music. They have courses on world music and things like folk fiddling, so Im pretty sure it will be ok if im not a 100% classical type person.
Man, if jazz is where your hearts at, don't settle for less.

You REALLY can't move for university?
Quote by Nick_
Man, if jazz is where your hearts at, don't settle for less.

Yea, that was my main point, and I think I agree.

Classical guitar will be a very new discipline for you. I'm a bit of a classical guitarist, playing at the grade 8 level technically speaking, and it's loads of fun. It makes you feel like a piano player, but with more ability to articulate. You can even get solo gigs without too much difficulty

But then there is the argument that I have been throwing around in my head "Is there really any dignified music that I wouldn't want to study?! Could I actually be less than completely psyched to study jazz, or classical, or world music?!".

After looking through the courses I found out the school definitely isn't just classically oriented. Here are some of the courses:

Jazz Styles and Improvisation: is an applied course for singers and instrumentalists, which aims to integrate the theory and practice of jazz. Jazz styles and improvisation will be explored through listening (recordings and live performance), imitation, and improvisation of selected jazz standards. Prerequisite: Music 240B or permission of the instructor.

Improvisation: is an introduction to the art and practice of Improvisation through guided ensemble exploration and performance, score study and the application of contemporary performance practice.

Jazz Theory and Arranging:
is an introduction to jazz theory and the principles of arranging for jazz ensembles.

Jazz and Blues: The Roots of Popular Music

So I can still get a fair bit of jazz in, plus I can join the Jazz ensemble if I get good enough. And like Nightwind suggested, I'm pretty much floored to study any type of music.
Well if it's what you want, it's what you want.

But consider this:

If you take any external factors out (location etc.), what program would you want to be in?
A jazz oriented program. I know I am compromising somewhat, but I really don't think I would be able to move away. Either way, I have alot of time to decide.
Jazz! Whoot! Man, learn jazz and it'll help you play ANYTHING. Well, maybe except for grindcore...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Man that is a shit load harder then what I have to do to get into PCEA, Perpich Center of Arts Education, I have to jam with 2 people on the spot then show them a song I wrote then I get and academic interview.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
dude, thats so much harder then berklee. i played tears in heaven, improved over some changes, did some ear training, played some scales and chords, and then they gave me a pretty good scholarship. wow, i suck haha.
but good luck man, i wish the best for you.
^ You got into a music school by playing tears in heaven.....

Most of the schools around here recommend grade 8 level ability. Go figure.

This is why I intend to take a program at a nice Canadian uni (hopefully McGill)

although my teacher is prepping me for berklee scholarship auditions anyway because says there's no harm in seeing what kind of scholarship you can get
Im not really worried about the songs, im worried about:

(a) Sing specific intervals within the range of an octave and sing (arpeggiate) major and minor triads.
(b) Perform at sight a rhythmic phrase of 4-8 measures incorporating half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes and dotted rhythms in simple and compound metres.
(c) abSing a given diatonic melody at sight in any major or minor key, in treble or bass clef. We recommend, but do not require, that you use moveable doh sol-fa syllables. The melody will be at a level of difficulty comparable to Book II, Oxford Folk Song Sight Singing Series, and may include scale steps, as well as skips within context of tonic, dominant or subdominant chords.
Only way to get good at the singing bit is to practice. Same for the rhythms.
to night wind, i had to do a little more than play that song. i think my improv is what really got me in, its definetaly why i got my scholarship. And its not always what you play, its how you play it.

and to nick, if your intersested definetaly try to get a scholarship to berklee. the only that sucks is that they definetaly favor jazz players, even though they say they dont haha.
Last edited by rixills at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by nightwind
^ You got into a music school by playing tears in heaven.....

Most of the schools around here recommend grade 8 level ability. Go figure.

And I didn't have to perform anything.

However, that's because our music program doesn't have a performance major, we do either composition/history, ethnomusicology, or computer music.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Well I'd be doing jazz

MY teacher taught at berklee and he's still holding out hope that I'll try and get in, so we'll see.

Right now though, I want McGill.

It's a while off though (I'm in my junior year) so I've plenty of time, and the scholarship tour is worthwhile if just to see what I can get.
Good luck nick, if your a jazz player then you will probalby love it. plus bostons just a really cool city. but be sure to visit to see if you actually will like it there, hahah, dont make my mistake, haha.
oh man, i didnt mean to put down montreal or McGill, sorry man haha. good luck with whatever you do.
It's all cool he (teacher) seems to have this persistent "you sure you don't want berklee" thing sometimes

they must be doing something right....