okay so im going to college and i have to take an exam to determine my placement in the theory classes. now, what do you think will be on this exam. it is used to determine if ill take 4 semesters of music theory or 5. ive been taking music theory so i feel i will do well on it im just wondering what to expect. help needed, thanks in advance.
Quote by Which_Guitar
i've started to learn the HALO theme song (the hard one) to kill time!

Quote by timsafatass
Dude, you cant play it because your right handed, you can only play it on a left handed guitar
Uh... dont worry too much about it man. You're not a drummer, right? Cuz if you were... good f'in luck.
nope im a guitarist and im going for music recording. i know all the reg stuff...major/ minor scales, key sigs, modes, transposition, chords, triads, making chords, naming chords, harmonizing, 7th chords, nonharmonic tones, you know all the usual stuff
Quote by Which_Guitar

Quote by timsafatass
Dude, you cant play it because your right handed, you can only play it on a left handed guitar
Quote by justshreddin16
nope im a guitarist and im going for music recording. i know all the reg stuff...major/ minor scales, key sigs, modes, transposition, chords, triads, making chords, naming chords, harmonizing, 7th chords, nonharmonic tones, you know all the usual stuff

Teach me your ways!

I want to be a record producer when I grow up
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
what school?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
fredonia and finger lakes
both have great music programs
Quote by Which_Guitar

Quote by timsafatass
hey man im a music major right now and am in the 2nd semester..

this is what weve gone over so far

all the intervals, time signatures, key signatures, the circle of 5ths, major scale, all the minor scales, pentatonic scales, triads (major/minor/augmented/diminished), sight reading, relative and parallel major/minor....

uh i forgot anything else i learned in class.. and that may be because i already knew it from guitar.

know all that sh|t and you should be good to go.
hey i'm only in yr 8/9 but last year we did (well i did) circle of fifths AND circle of fourths (both very useful), major/minor scales, major/minor arpeggios, sight reading, songwriting theory (eg should start and end on the tonic, key signatures, time signatures, second last note should be dominant etc), modal scales, chord progressions, and practice, etc etc.

basically if you read up on every thing you can find, not just in guitar but any other instrument too, then you'll be up on most general subjects so you should be pretty right
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
I've taken them at two different schools, and they were both pretty much the same. just be sure to know if the school uses jazz theory or classical theory. theres alot of analyzing harmony and major and natural minor keys. if you know the basics youll do fine.
oh, and i asssume your reading music, cuz thats what the test is, its not like multiple choice haha. good luck