Poll: Which one wins the argument?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one wins the argument?
Quoting The Bible
54 34%
Quoting Shakespeare
106 66%
Voters: 161.
Page 1 of 2
If you and a friend get into a discussion. And one of you quotes The Bible, and one quotes Shakespeare, who wins the argument?
Neither, you're both pretentious.

Shakespeare, only because I think the Bible is tosh.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Uh, depends on the quote?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
google fight saaaaaaaaaays:

The Bible!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Shakespeare, because the stuff he wrote we know he did himself
The bible is pretty much rumour
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Shakespeare. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreampt of in the Bible's philosophy.

Only edited a little.
Can't stop the signal.
If you quote Shakespeare you're probably a pseudo-intellectual. Anyway, I think most stuff by Shakespeare is overrated (with the exception of Hamlet). So the Bible wins. Plus, whether or not you believe in it, the Bible has some clever stuff in it whereas Shakespeare is clever because of the language it uses rather than the message it's conveying.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
The bible is one book. Shakespeare wrote lots of plays and those 14 line poem things that I bloody forgot the name of. ****.

Shakespeare ftw.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by BlackLuster

Or did he?

There's aconspiracy theory about how he stole everything from a friend and claimed it was his own work.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by BlackLuster

Actually, the Bible is more historically accurate. Most of it is backed up by historic records. If you had a half a clue about Shakespeare you'd know that all the scripts we have by him are not original writings, but versions edited by various people of the same time. There are debates as to whether he even wrote all his plays, and there is a particular scene in Macbeth which many believe was written in at a later time.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Guitardude19
The bible is one book. Shakespeare wrote lots of plays and those 14 line poem things that I bloody forgot the name of. ****.

Shakespeare ftw.

Sonnets. And yes, you're correct, Shakespeare FTW!!!

Also, Shakespeare's plays seem more realistic than the bible stories.
It's more believable that 3 witches confronted a man and told him his future
than the son of a god came down to earth and died on a cross, and then came back to life
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Ha you find the idea of witches more realistic than the idea of coming back from the dead?

Shakespeare's plays present themselves as pure fiction. The Bible, if you'd ever looked properly at even a bit of it, has some very wise words in it, not just 'repent or you'll go to hell' and 'jesus will forgive you'.

And I say this because this thread is not about belief. It's about which is better to quote from. Since the Bible seems much more intelligent than Shakespeare which is ALL stories. (the Bible has SOME stories, although a lot of them with great philosophical meaning but that's not the point).

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by break-me-in
If you quote Shakespeare you're probably a pseudo-intellectual. Anyway, I think most stuff by Shakespeare is overrated (with the exception of Hamlet). So the Bible wins. Plus, whether or not you believe in it, the Bible has some clever stuff in it whereas Shakespeare is clever because of the language it uses rather than the message it's conveying.

Please, Hamlet was Shakespeare's failed attempt at raw emotion and true heartbreak.

As for quoting, I would say who cares. The most relevant wins.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
The bible because it makes the least sense, and we all know that people with little sense never give up
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Shakespeare is a better writer than all the authors of the Bible put together, time 1000.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by break-me-in
If you quote Shakespeare you're probably a pseudo-intellectual.

Fail. You started to redeem yourself by talking about the language, but I don't see how that would make you a pseudo-intellectual if you actually understand what shakespeare actually means.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
Quote by BlackLuster
Sonnets.

Yea thats the one!

I was about to call it a sonata, but I realised that a sonata is a musical form... and Shakespeare aint no composer lol.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
The one who quotes Fante or Hemingway.

The Bible's bullshit, and Shakespeare's been quoted to death.
Poor advice.
That guy who said 'Shakespeare is a better writer than all the writers of the bible' Read my earlier post, Shakespeare's writings are not only by him.

Anyhow, I can't claim to have read the whole of the Bible, or all of Shakespeare's works, but I bet a lot of you going for Shakespeare have not even read a whole book of the Bible, right?

Well read it before you slag it off. I've read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet and Macbeth and the Tempest (there's more but those are the 4 I thought of) and I thought Hamlet was the only particularly good one. Macbeth and the Tempest are alright and Romeo and Juliet was actually total shit.

Now because you've heard a couple of verses of the Bible, doesn't mean you've read the whole thing, just like I couldn't say Romeo and Juliet was shit from having read one scene.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by Xerothunder
Fail. You started to redeem yourself by talking about the language, but I don't see how that would make you a pseudo-intellectual if you actually understand what shakespeare actually means.

Well I meant that people who quote Shakespeare are very often thinking they're clever because "Wow, it's Shakespeare, and he's the best writer ever cos everyone says so", which is bullshit. Try something less obvious.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
^^ Hamlet is unbelievably flawed as a play in it's own right.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by break-me-in
^^ Read my earlier post, Shakespeare's writings are not only by him.

Anyhow, I can't claim to have read the whole of the Bible, or all of Shakespeare's works, but I bet a lot of you going for Shakespeare have not even read a whole book of the Bible, right?

Well read it before you slag it off. I've read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet and Macbeth and the Tempest (there's more but those are the 4 I thought of) and I thought Hamlet was the only particularly good one. Macbeth and the Tempest are alright and Romeo and Juliet was actually total shit.

Now because you've heard a couple of verses of the Bible, doesn't mean you've read the whole thing, just like I couldn't say Romeo and Juliet was shit from having read one scene.

Look, bible thumper. First of all, there is speculation that Shakespeare writings are not all by him... that doesn't mean it's a proven fact. Second of all... you're getting way too excited over an argument that doesn't even make sense. Quoting one over the other isn't going to win an argument, that's actually the dumbest question I've heard in a while. Stop preaching about how we should all give the bible a chance instead of voting for Shakespeare, since neither one makes sense in this debate anyway.

Quote by break-me-in
Well I meant that people who quote Shakespeare are very often thinking they're clever because "Wow, it's Shakespeare, and he's the best writer ever cos everyone says so", which is bullshit. Try something less obvious.

That isn't what you said at all. And that's a fairly broad generalization to be making about people who have read and understand shakespearian language. I'm willing to bet more people that are able to quote Shakespeare for whatever reason have studied English in-depth, and are therefore going to be fairly open to who the "best writer ever" is.
Last edited by Xerothunder at Feb 26, 2007,
Well firstly, that's over-harsh. If you want to be agressive about it, **** off.

Secondly, the argument wasn't specified, it was just: 'which is generally better in its content?'

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Xerothunder
Look, bible thumper. First of all, there is speculation that Shakespeare writings are not all by him... that doesn't mean it's a proven fact. Second of all... you're getting way too excited over an argument that doesn't even make sense. Quoting one over the other isn't going to win an argument, that's actually the dumbest question I've heard in a while. Stop preaching about how we should all give the bible a chance instead of voting for Shakespeare.

And I wasn't saying he didn't write them, but it's proven fact that there are NO ORIGINAL WORKS BY SHAKESPEARE. D'you get that?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Blackbullet
Neither, you're both pretentious.

Shakespeare, only because I think the Bible is tosh.

Agree all around!

Even though I don't know wtf tosh means.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
^^ tosh means rubbish/bullshit

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
That isn't what you said at all. And that's a fairly broad generalization to be making about people who have read and understand shakespearian language. I'm willing to bet more people that are able to quote Shakespeare for whatever reason have studied English in-depth, and are therefore going to be fairly open to who the "best writer ever" is.

Fair point, but many people were just forced to study it in high school and therefore remember bits, so they go with this stupid consensus that no-one beats shakespeare.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Fair point, but many people were just forced to study it in high school and therefore remember bits, so they go with this stupid consensus that no-one beats shakespeare.

I'm willing to bet that someone that was forced to study it wasn't paying much attention and doesn't remember a damn thing... and even if they do, don't give a damn about it and therefore wouldn't bring it up in general conversation.

This argument doesn't really have a point though, so whatever.
"Woah to you, O Earth and Sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short..."

i don't really care, whatever is most relevant
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by Guitardude19

Shakespeare ftw.

Someone needs to read up on his religions.
Dickless.
Quote by break-me-in
Ha you find the idea of witches more realistic than the idea of coming back from the dead?

Well if you mean witch in the sense of the term used by the roman catholic church (i think it was the catholics anyway, feel free to correct) to describe those who follow Paganism then yes, witches are a lot more realistic than coming back from the dead.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
I don't get the question. Why would you win by quoting either one of them? I could quote myself and still win the arguement if my point was better.

I'm more impressed by bible quotes since fewer people I've met would ever be able to utter a single verse that was in some way meaningful to a conversation.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by break-me-in
And I wasn't saying he didn't write them, but it's proven fact that there are NO ORIGINAL WORKS BY SHAKESPEARE. D'you get that?

Show me hard evidence, and not vague theories, that Shakespeare wrote NOT A WORD of what he is being credited for.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Page 1 of 2