Page 1 of 5
Hey,

Is there any other fan of Pain of Salvation around here (propably a stupid question )?
If so... What's your favorite ablum and song and why?
Remedy Lane and Trace of Blood. Just 'cause the chorus is the cheesiest thing I've ever heard.

I find I have to be in a certain frame of mind and also set time aside to listen to PoS. I need to listen to the albums all the way through to fully appreciate them, so I don't listen to them as often as I would like, but when I do they are quite fantastic (although a bit over the top on occasion).
Yes I get what you mean... most of their albums are like a story.
It isn't a compilation of many different songs but all the songs are matching with eachother (what is, in my opinion, great!)

And what about "Be"? Cause it isn't really a standard PoS-like album...
I think it's one of the higlights of their singer!... He sings so ****ing well on this album!
Don't have a favorite song and my favorite album changes so often that it would be stupid to post it.

I own their discography and I can honestly say that they are my favorite band. Daniel Gildenlow is a Goddamn songwriting Genius (+1 for anyone who understands why I capitalized that) and probably my most favorite vocalist of all time.

Be is brilliant. Maybe not if you listen to each separate song but I'd say it's one of the best albums ever to listen to. I still have a hard time listening to Vocari Dei without getting choked up. The depth of the concept is so ridiculously huge and it's also extremely well done. The orchestra wasn't used stupidly a la Metallica.

Scarsick isn't for anyone who's not already a fan, and even then there are tons of fans who hate it. I hated it at first, thought it was a piece of garbage, but now that I've given it a few listens I think it's pretty amazing. Some of the melodies are haunting and damnit can Gildenlow ever rap.

By far some of the most talented songwriters and musicians are in this band. I'd put them high above any other prog metal band.

And threadstarter, I have to agree with Gildenlow's performance on Be. But his vocals just got better and better with each album. Each album it seems like he adds a new twist to it.
Yes he is briliant and although I only have Entropia and Be I can allready tell you that he's my favorite songwriter and singer of (propably) all time! He's just a genius and he works so ****ing well with excitement and pressure in the songs!

But... also the drummer is great!

I still wants to buy "In the flesh", "The perfect Element Part 1 (is there also a part 2 coming in the ,near, future?) and well.. actually also all the others!
Last edited by JvL at Mar 1, 2007,
They are easily becoming my favourite band now. They probably won't surpass Symphony X, because SX have pure balls and talent that I will always be able to appreciate, but their originality, and uniqueness among other prog bands will always intrigue me. Daniel Gildenlow has some of the best vocals ever.

I've heard everything except Entropia so far including Scarsick, and I have loved everything on The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane, Be, and Scarsick (Disco Queen not so much actually). However, I do realize that while OHBTCL is an album that the whole band put effort into, and that I've only heard today, it doesn't really impress as much as everything that came afterwards. I think one of the main things that's stopping me from enjoying that album is the production, but also because it seems so straightforward for a PoS album and they seem to do things a little sporadically/spontaneously on the other albums.

I am surprised no one is really discussing them here. Seemingly underrated. Especially Scarsick.
I've found Jesus
I never liked them and I don't know why..
People say they are good musicians, I downloaded their discography and I didn't like it
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Necrolust
I never liked them and I don't know why..
People say they are good musicians, I downloaded their discography and I didn't like it

I took each album and let it grow on me, which turned out to be pretty easy. After the 2nd listen, I could fully enjoy the whole thing. I guess it's love it or hate it. There don't seem to be many in between people.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Aug 6, 2007,
The thing about Pain of Salvation is the more you listen to them, the more you start to appreciate them.

Definitely great musicians. Their music is way more complex than it sounds. Their cover of Hallelujah is also one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.
I hereby summon thine pwnage thread
That it shall be awakened from the dead
And this genius band might be discussed
Appreciate their 1337 ways, we must.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
I really need to get an album by them soon, but my bank account is currently at $2.87 :P: . I might just torrent OHbtCL soon.

My favorite song of theirs is probably the Big Machine (which kinda reminds me of the nightmare before christmas at certain parts for some strange reason), or Stress (sounds like a mix of mike patton+ atheist to me).
I guess I need to get The Perfect Element part 1 now.

But I have all of Remedy Lane stuck in my head!

"BUDAPEST I'M LEARNING, BUDAPEST YOU'RE BUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNIIIIIINNNNGGGG MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!"
Scarsick is the worst album I've ever bought.

However, I'm gonna eventually give a listen to their older material. Best album to start with? I was thinking of going with OHbtCL...
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Well, I only have Remedy Lane as of now, so....I recommend Remedy Lane! It's awesome.
Quote by piratemetalhead
...Stress (sounds like a mix of mike patton+ atheist to me).

this, I've got to hear.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Horribly underdiscussed band on the metal forums. The thread in the prog rock forum gets relatively little response too. But it seems like the metal forum doesn't even know who PoS are. One of the greatest bands. Loved them from the second I heard them. I love each and every album to bits until Scarsick. And Scarsick as a matter of fact has its moments. It has a unique flavour, but unfortunately the "experimental rap" shall we call it, may be hilarious to some people who have taken PoS as one of the most serious bands in the scene.

Truly, Daniel Gildenlow is one of the best composers and most gripping vocalists of the last 10-15 years. He has balls and he has emotion.
I've found Jesus
Yeah great band Daniel (not gonna try and spell his last name) is a great singer. Scarsick was an odd album, I enjoy it though (probably more than BE) But other than those 2 all their albums are excellent.
Quote by Contraband
Horribly underdiscussed band on the metal forums. The thread in the prog rock forum gets relatively little response too. But it seems like the metal forum doesn't even know who PoS are. One of the greatest bands. Loved them from the second I heard them. I love each and every album to bits until Scarsick. And Scarsick as a matter of fact has its moments. It has a unique flavour, but unfortunately the "experimental rap" shall we call it, may be hilarious to some people who have taken PoS as one of the most serious bands in the scene.

Truly, Daniel Gildenlow is one of the best composers and most gripping vocalists of the last 10-15 years. He has balls and he has emotion.

Q4E.

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Contraband.
I have Scarsick and One Hour by the Concrete Lake. I've been meaning to check this band out more and haven't gotten around to it.
Quote by SonataFanica
I guess I need to get The Perfect Element part 1 now.

But I have all of Remedy Lane stuck in my head!

"BUDAPEST I'M LEARNING, BUDAPEST YOU'RE BUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNIIIIIINNNNGGGG MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!"

I fucking love Pain of Salvation. I didn't realize there wasn't already a thread on them.

There's so much emotion in their music, it's fantastic. Favorite album/song has to be Remedy Lane/Beyond the Pale.

I think Daniel Gildenløw won some sort of vocal competition in Sweden when he was like 14 or some shit. Scary.

Quote by Contraband

You just took the words right out of my mouth.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by piratemetalhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZo0HwnaWAE

Maybe not atheist, but to me, it definitly has that mike-pattony.... wacky feeling to it.

definitely not atheist feel to it. Still very interesting. Kinda like a way more prog experimental ayreon, so far at least thats what it reminds me of.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Morning On Earth is beautiful.
------------------
Quote by Mky
Morning On Earth is beautiful.

Yes. The chorus is just...

Orgasmic is the only word to describe it. Same with the chorus in TPE.
Daniel Gildenlow is nothing but pure awesome on the Ayreon album 01011001.
Quote by SonataFanica
Daniel Gildenlow is nothing but pure awesome.

Fixed.

The Perfect Element = The Perfect Album. Seriously.

Every song on it is ****ing perfect. The only one that isn't outstanding is Falling, and that's a 1:50 instrumental.
I just got and The Perfect Element and gave it about 3 listens.

To be honest, I expected more. It wasn't bad though, it just seemed like there could be more melodies. I love "Used".
I have the whole discography. Easily my favorite band, In fact, I've posted this exact same thread about 3 times .

That being said, the first 3 albums are my favorites. Concrete Lake is the tightest, in my opinion, and easily the best keyboard album. Perfect Element is darker, and much more moody, I love it.

And Entropia... is Entropia. fucking amazing/crazy
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Yay I just order The Perfect Element. Though I am quite skeptical as all I've heard so far is the rubbish that is Scarsick .
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Scarsick isn't very good, in my opinion. They tried some new stuff, and unfortunately it didn't work. You should be much happier with TPE.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Scarsick had its moments, and the good news is that it didn't really show any signs that PoS have "lost it". It's still undeniably PoS, it's different from the previous material, and there is still a lot of thought put into the whole album. Sure, the bass wasn't as up to par as previous material, and it's unfortunate that Daniel had to do that himself, but for the next album they have a new bassist.

The thing with Scarsick is that it doesn't even sound good on paper, so it's not like they failed at the execution. Style-wise, it's all intact. The problem was the direction (too much focus on pop-tinged electronic sounds, rap, and rather pathetic lyrics), but knowing that the new album will probably be something slightly different like everything PoS put out is some consolation.

All the other albums were near flawless. But I find that I have to be in a PoS mood, which generally means I need to be in a prog/jazz mood to appreciate it. After listening to Cannibal Corpse, I find that the music simply loses its charm. Same goes with listening to it after something like Drudkh or Immortal. It's either not brutal or grim enough. And the point here is that I simply wish PoS would go down a less electronic path, and one more along the lines of One Hour by the Concrete Lake (or hell, Entropia).
I've found Jesus
Sorry for the bump, but are there any other heavier PoS songs aside from Used and Idioglossia?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Sorry for the bump, but are there any other heavier PoS songs aside from Used and Idioglossia?

Beyond the Pale!
Page 1 of 5