Page 1 of 4
Why is their so much hating on rap on this forum? I see loads of people with 92% people listen to rap, 8% listen to real music.

Rap requires the same amount of skill as any other music form.

and to be honest i dont like modern rap because its pretty much "Im gonna kill u", "My gang is gonna put a cap in yo ass" and "how many bootys can we get shaking in this one video". (Yes that is stereotyping but thats all i hear on TV)

Old school rap as it were is genius. At least its fighting for what they believe in. Espically against racism.

Whats your views on Rap?
My view is your sig is too long... but anyway, I see nothing wrong with rap. The themes in rap are stupid today, but there is a lot of meaningful rap out there too. Also, there is a lot of talent behind the lyrics, despite the fact some ignorant people only see "yo" and "ho".
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
Rap is brilliant now, and is still good today, you just gotta look beyond MTV. The fact that so many people don't recognise the talent in non-guitar music astounds me.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
1. People on this site suck and like to think they know what real music is, but in reality don't have a fuckin' clue.
2. Not all the modern stuff sucks. Hell, the good outways the bad.
3. There is a good Rap thread in the Other forum. Go there, as the sheer idiocy of the morons who inhabit this forum will just make your head hurt.
4. I should be studying for an exam tomorrow, not talking here, oh well...
look at my sig

i like rap i also like dance and electro in my view as long as if its catchy ill like it
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
I don't "hate" rap, hate implies that I care, that I think of it persistently or that it doesn't let me sleep at night. Not at all.

And I don't care if it's the most elaborate and complicated musical style out there, it still sounds like shit.

And don't bitch to me about "old school rap" and "gangsta rap" and how one is holier than the other. It's not just individual bands, the very style of rap annoys me.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Feb 26, 2007,
some of its ok but you must get sick of it being on the TV all the time, theres about 20 hip hop and rap channels and about 2 rock ones, wheres the justice in that.

by the way RAP probably stands for Retards Attempting Poetry
^^ Fair play its just not some peoples tastes, i just happen to like most things..

although i never did get into Tatu apart from the whole lesbian thing..
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
Quote by Strongbow
look at my sig

i like rap i also like dance and electro in my view as long as if its catchy ill like it

and who conducted THAT survey?

But yeah. See nowadays rap is more just writing lyrics that are normally vulgar and what not, and just getting some one else to come up with some type of 'beat'. With bands, you actually write the music that goes with it. Im not trying to be rude, so don't hate me cause you ain't me
I dont really like rap, but thats my choice, I won't force my views on anyone.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
I like some rap. Like Public Enemy and old school stuff... like the whole political and racism... I like some of the new stuff, because of the synthesizers and stuff, the beats.
Quote by Metal_Militia15

But yeah. See nowadays rap is more just writing lyrics that are normally vulgar and what not, and just getting some one else to come up with some type of 'beat'. With bands, you actually write the music that goes with it.

Thou art ignorant.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I obviosly prefer guitar driven music, which is why I am on this site, but I can tolerate a small amount of rap. Most of it pisses me off. There are so many more talented musicians that don't get the recognition they deserve, meanwhile modern rappers throw a few rhymes around about how many cars they have and how they treat women like dirt, and they win awards! What the hell is up with that? I really dont see the talent in modern rap. It takes a lot more than "lyrical genius" to write a good song. Lyrics aren't everythign. Especially ones that suck.

Just my opinion.
Last edited by cookadam at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by raise_the_dead
Rap is brilliant now, and is still good today, you just gotta look beyond MTV. The fact that so many people don't recognise the talent in non-guitar music astounds me.

i would hug you for showing such common sense raisng the dead but i just saw your avatar and frankly it disturbs me.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
I don't mind Rap, I just prefer the older Rap, like Eminem, Dr Dre and the early 50 Cent. And I agree with the comments about newer Rap.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

I just don't like the way it sounds, as simple as that. Doesn't matter if it's 2 Pac or 50 Cent, I don't like it and it all sounds the same to me just the way how metal sounds all the same to people who only listen to rap.
^^ how many people have that avatar.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Leave him, he probably just found Pantera and thinks he knows real music now.

Also,

he sounds about 12.

Dude, im 15. I listen to music that doesn't involve guitars. Don't judge me cause of my avatar, I'm probably more open minded to music than you are.
Be easy, stop tha bullshit, you get your whole crew wet
We in tha club doin' the same ol' two step
Gorilla unit cuz they say we bugged out
Cuz we don't go nowhere without toast we thugged out

50 cent's "wanksta"

Make sense of that and when and if you do I will admit defeat and declare rap a real form of art. Until such occurs my views remain as such, "rap is poop".
Quote by nic_2090
What ever happened to sticks and stones....?

Quote by Maet
The Niggers took them all to build their crappy huts in africa and Detroit...

Too much?
anyone here know of grandmaster flash and the furious five?
lol i got a friend whos obsessed with em. but that's all the rap he listens to. everything else is nirvana and rock, so the furious five cant be that bad...
i always come to UG for a tab, but get sucked into the pit

[SoWrongItsMatt]Have you tried, "Sex on fire?"

[[x]Huffy[x]]Either way I'm gonna be too stoned to care.

what he said.^

i love qotsa

mymusic
enjoy it.
i live by the rule that every music genre in existance probably has a song within it that i would enjoy if i heard it so to me theres not alot of point arguing about this kinda stuff, i dont like a large majority of hip-hop and music with rap in it but i do like afew groups/artists like beastie boys, RATM, Sage Francis etc.

Anyone that says to me in all seriousness "i hate all ____ genre music" instantly lowers my opinion of them, theres just to much music in the world to say stuff like that.
i mostly listen to metal but i really like old rap like NWA, and Public Enemy
Rap Sucks Metal Rules

Rap Requires Zero Talent anyone can put together nursery rhymes.

METAL FOR LIFE
Schecter Hellraiser C7 w/ BKPs
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9
Boss Tuner
Morley Tremonti Wah

"From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, And I Am In Them, And That Is Eternity"
People here dislike it because it isn't guitar or otherwise live instrument-driven, and thus looked down upon as "untalented."
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
, I highly doubt it. Besides I wasn't attacking your tastes, I was attacking your ignorance.

I just told you I wasn't ignorant. All I said in the first place was that rap has become something else than it first was. If you want to go calling people immature, then go ahead, but I think its more immature to do that in the first place.
Uhm rap is pretty cool, even some mainstream stuff. For example, IMO Nas is quite mainstreem and has nice songs .
<Omri> I love trannys too..
I like some rap, for the most part it's actually very catchy. And anyone who says that rap doesn't take skill is obviously deaf, I mean listen to some of Eminem's funnier songs, the lyrics are genius.

The thing that does annoy me about rap is when you get some rappers nowadays who can't actually rap in time to the beat. It really annoys me when they just go on and on without rhyming, there's nothing for the listener to grab onto.

Dizzee Rascal is a legend.
Quote by etniesmuzikskat
Rap Sucks Metal Rules

METAL FOR LIFE

Generic metal n00b

Quote by I_am_spartacus
Be easy, stop tha bullshit, you get your whole crew wet
We in tha club doin' the same ol' two step
Gorilla unit cuz they say we bugged out
Cuz we don't go nowhere without toast we thugged out

50 cent's "wanksta"

Make sense of that and when and if you do I will admit defeat and declare rap a real form of art. Until such occurs my views remain as such, "rap is poop".

50 Cent is to rap what Fallout Boy is to rock

Quote by leeb rocks
i would hug you for showing such common sense raisng the dead but i just saw your avatar and frankly it disturbs me.

*sigged*

Quote by tommo619
I don't mind Rap, I just prefer the older Rap, like Eminem, Dr Dre and the early 50 Cent. And I agree with the comments about newer Rap.

That's good stuff, but it ain't really older rap...
Quote by str84ever
This brings the next question.

If there was no rap...

No rage against the machine?

Yeah, pretty much. No RHCP also.

My favorite rap band is Jurassic 5, they pwn.
Quote by etniesmuzikskat
Rap Sucks Metal Rules

METAL FOR LIFE

I sincerely hope that's sarcasm.

Listen to this and tell me you could write the equivalent.
Quote by Metal_Militia15
I just told you I wasn't ignorant. All I said in the first place was that rap has become something else than it first was. If you want to go calling people immature, then go ahead, but I think its more immature to do that in the first place.

Actually, you said
Quote by Metal_Militia15
See nowadays rap is more just writing lyrics that are normally vulgar

Which it isn't. Maybe if all you listen to is radio and MTV, but that's about as stupid as judging the entire spectrum of Metal by Trivium and A7X .

and

Quote by Metal_Militia15
and just getting some one else to come up with some type of 'beat'.

"Some type of 'beat'"? I'd like to see you come up with "some kind of 'beat'".

Plus...
Quote by Metal_Militia15
so don't hate me cause you ain't me

Dude, seriously, 15? My ass.
Quote by cookadam
There are so many more talented musicians that don't get the recognition they deserve, meanwhile modern rappers throw a few rhymes around about how many cars they have and how they treat women like dirt, and they win awards! What the hell is up with that?

would u seriously let what u see on kerrang define the genre of music that u like???

No???

Then why do u seem to take what is on MTV as being the basis of what rap is? There's alot more to it than people care to find about as with any music genre, what is seen on TV is more often than not the most watered down, un-auterist and popularised version of the genre, and that goes for ANY music genre, fact.
Seriuosly dude, stop argueing(sp?) with him. Nothing will come out of it. Just let him live in ignorance, one day he will open up to new music.
Page 1 of 4