Hey

I was thinking the other day about whereabout emotions fit into evolution, seeing as how they tend to cloud logical and rational thought.

Also, does anybody know what the advantage to having certain actions linked with certain emotions is? Eg smiling when happy and crying when sad?

Let's see... if you eat pie, you get happy. Cuz it's good thing.
If you eat shit, you get sad, cuz eating shit sucks.

I think that pretty much sums it up, don't you think?

But wait, then why do monkeys pee in their own mouths?

EDIT: Search on youtube for "Monkey peeing mouth" to see what i mean
I'm taking Psych 101, and emotions are pretty evolutionarily important. Without them, there would be no reward for taking certain actions (i.e. satiation after eating, sexing, etc) and there would be less of a reason for even bothering to find a mate.

Also, smiling and crying are just regular physiological occurrences which are triggered by neurotransmitters being released in your brain; there's no specific reason why, but they're entirely universal. Even if you'd never met a human being in your life and had been living alone in the woods, you would still cry if you got hurt.
Certain stimulents recepted by our sensors cause certain hormones to be released into our nervous system, and the brain reacts accordingly and translates that into what we percieve as emotions. For instance, serotonine is a hormone responsible for mood or sexual feelings. Every emotion that we experience can be explained by physical and chemical processes in our body.

Now, since our brains evolved to simulate emotions, that means at some point emotions must have had some sort of survival value. For a more precise explanation though, you'd have to ask someone who actually studies these things, like a biologist or geneticist who specializes in that respective field.

I can only speculate: Maybe to early humans, emotions like fear or caution made them more aware of predators, and the sensations of pleasure and excitement made reproduction more likely (so those who felt the most pleasure in reproducing, reproduced more). The examples could go on, but I'm sure a more accurate explanation is also a lot more complex.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Feb 26, 2007,
Monkeys pee in their mouths only when sick I believe. Certain religious sects of Hinhuism acttually perfom this feat because it is from the body and by drinking it you can heal certain sicknesses (colds, broncitus, ....etc) and may the body's immune system stronger.

This is also a survival tactic for when you run out of water, and will not have access to any for a good while - ie. the desert. Military training tell you do do so under these extreme conditions.
I personally will stick to the over-the-counter meds.

Happiness and saddness, is a learned process. Some people get pleasure from pain. Some people are only happy when others around them are miserable (misery loves company). It depends on the environment you are born and educated in (pardon the dangling participle).
Sure you may say when a baby cries its not happy, but how do you know? they cry because it is their only means of communication. Pain is pain grant you, but we are conditioned to deal with a certain amount of pain. Being in pain doesn't mean you are unhappy, you are just in pain.
Quote by Mad Marius
Certain stimulents recepted by our sensors cause certain hormones to be released into our nervous system, and the brain reacts accordingly and translates that into what we percieve as emotions. For instance, serotonine is a hormone responsible for mood or sexual feelings. Every emotion that we experience can be explained by physical and chemical processes in our body.

Actually, emotions are triggered by magical pixies that float invisbly through the air. Remember the discussion on science and reality we had one time?

Quote by Mad Marius
Now, since our brains evolved to simulate emotions, that means at some point emotions must have had some sort of survival value. For a more precise explanation though, you'd have to ask someone who actually studies these things, like a biologist or geneticist who specializes in that respective field.

I can only speculate:

Yeah, cuz Marius doesn't really know about these things, he just likes pretending to be a scientific brainiac and disillusion everyone who doubts science's all-knowingness and who praise belief.

Just kidding.

But anyway, about that discussion we had once, I believe that science has it's limits (like I already said before) But before you jump at my throat, think about this: How do we explain what we do not know of? How do we know of processes or occurences in higher dimensions? Or in lower dimensions?
Or in some other part of the universe that we cannot possibly imagine? you see, at these dimensions, classical physics, done with experimentation and observation, cannot be done, because we can neither experiment or observe in higher or lower dimensions. At this point, physics and math become one, a science based on a system that is perfectly correct within itself, but where we cannot possibly be sure if it really (at this scale) has any connection to reality at all.
This is where I doubt science, mainly because it's at this point again merely a matter of belief.

THERE I HAVE YOU NOW!