my friend was showing me a song that he wrote and some chords sounded off. Another friend agreed. I'll try to tab out the 4 chords progression, forgive me i don't know how i'm new to this site.

E x x x x
B 7 5 8 10
G x x x x
D 5 3 6 8
A 5 3 6 8
D 5 3 6 8

i suck at that. but i think the problems are one, he doesn't know the key of his own song, and two the last two chords sound off maybe the notes a half step apart ( G and G# & A and A#)? can you help me out I'm new to music theory.
Quote by leading_theway
my friend was showing me a song that he wrote and some chords sounded off. Another friend agreed. I'll try to tab out the 4 chords progression, forgive me i don't know how i'm new to this site.

E x x x x
B 7 5 8 10
G x x x x
D 5 3 6 8
A 5 3 6 8
D 5 3 6 8

i suck at that. but i think the problems are one, he doesn't know the key of his own song, and two the last two chords sound off maybe the notes a half step apart ( G and G# & A and A#)? can you help me out I'm new to music theory.

not sure what u are asking but those are real chords.
well, since its detuned too drop D, the chords are G5 add 7 (G, D, G, F#), F5 add7 (F, C, F, E), then the last two are A-flat 5 add 7 (A-flat, E-flat, A-flat, G) and then up to B-flat add flat-7 (B-flat, F-flat/E, B-flat, A): the simple thing to do is to resolve or change the F# played on the first chord to an F; instead of fretting 7 on string B, fret 6, then take the A-flat chord and raise it up to A, that would place the key on F major/ D minor, however if want some tension then switch the last two chords and add one more chord to make it a five chord progession and let that chord be B-flat again. That would make the key B-Flat.
It's an iffy chord progression if you ask me, effectively they're all sus4 chords which is odd to say the least. You usually use sus4 chords sparingly to add anticipation to a phrase. They'd sound better if the note on the b string was moved up one fret for each chord...that'd give you all root and 5ths which i'm guessing is more the sound you want.

E x x x x
B 8 6 9 11
G x x x x
D 5 3 6 8 
A 5 3 6 8
D 5 3 6 8

To me it'd sound better with an A instead of the Ab, so

E x x x x
B 8 6 10 11
G x x x x
D 5 3 7 8 
A 5 3 7 8
D 5 3 7 8
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by leading_theway

E x x x x
B 7 5 8 10
G x x x x
D 5 3 6 8
A 5 3 6 8
D 5 3 6 8

actually, i read the chords wrong. im not sure if those are actually real chords but i know that these are:

E x x x x
B x x x x
G 7 5 8 10
D 5 3 6 8
A 5 3 6 8
D 5 3 6 8
steven seagull, that's the exact change i reccommended to him today changing it to A. But he is the type to say he knows guitar but he really doesn't. Thanks for the help though