Hi. i wanted to know what the tonal differences of Rosewood and Maple fingerboards were. i also wanted to know what people thought looked better. ive heard there's not much difference in tone. also, what would be better for a funky, bluesy tone (if the fingerboard makes a difference anyway) on a strat? i am unable to test out a maple neck, and have only had experience in rosewood necks. thanks in advance.

- Faisal
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
for funk, go with the maple. Brighter, snappier, more articulate

and looks waaaaaaay better.
For funk and blues, i'd definitely go for maple. It has a brighter, snappier sound than rosewood with more of an attack to it - rosewood has a warmer, darker tone. Plus imho maple is far sexier (i have one of each).
thanks, i'll keep that in mind.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
As far as I know maple is a brighter sound. But it being in the neck doesn't really effect tone noticably tbh. IMO Strats should only ever be seen with maple.
Yeh the maple is brighter actually by quite a lot - I tryed one on a Vintage Modern and then a rosewood guitar and there was quite a difference. Rosewood sounds nice with warm chords - songs like Soul to Squeeze. so funk - maple - but Fru has both so it doesnt particularly matter.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I just picked up a standard strat (black) with maple. I am very happy with the sound, i was looking for something opposite my Schecter.

Jimbo- as for your sig goes....

Please do NOT get a Marshall MG amp!!!!
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
im not sure on what colour to get, or even what strat to get, i was thinking wither a mexi, a classic 50's, or a classic 70's. im not fond of the huge headstocks though, but i like the contour body logo. so what strat should i get?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Maple is a softer wood making it slower to play than rosewood, i have a rosewood fretboard and i like the look and feel alot better than maple on my strat.
Epiphone EJ-160E 6 string acoustic
Fender american highwayone sunburst strat
Art and Lutherie Cedar 12 string acoustic
Gibson (White) Les Paul Studio
VOX AC30CC
boss dd-3
ibanez ts-9
boss ce-5
mxr phase 90
bigshot aby
big muff pi
cool. any suggestions on what out of the three strats to get? i cant test em out, so its a bit like being a deaf guy in a guitar store. also, what colour should i get, i was thinking either white, sunburst, surf green or black. i dont like the big headstocks on 70's strat, unless its on arctic white. im also not looking to mod these guitars. also, do the 50's and 70's strats have skunk stripes? thanks in advance.

- Faisal
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Feb 26, 2007,
should feel even smoother than usual, seeing as ive been using rosewoods.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by ZacR
Maple is a softer wood making it slower to play than rosewood, i have a rosewood fretboard and i like the look and feel alot better than maple on my strat.

Um u have it backwords. Maple is a harder wood which is why its brighter. It maintains highs better while the softer rosewood wood absorbs the highs in its softness. Also they like to put sticky laminate stuff on maple which might be why it feels slower than rosewood.
CGDAEG