hey guys.

I've been having problems with my singer lately. We've only had him for about a month, and I think i've realized it was a big mistake. His lyrics don't make any sense, and he just plain can't sing. We just recorded our music, and its up on myspace, and everyone says he sucks. The only thing is, he's a really good friend to everyone in the band, and we don't want to kick him out, and never be talking to him again.

Anyone have any experiance on this before and wants to share some advice?

thanks
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
I would maybe recommend him to get singing lessons to ''tune up'' and if he refuses just tell him he just plain sucks.

I think most bands have shit singers and they can still get decent gigs. If you intend to stick with this band for life, kick him out.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Feb 26, 2007,
happened to me, with my first drummer. Don't tell other people before you tell them, it only makes things worse. If your friends, he'll understand, and won't hold it against you for too long. lol.

Tell him in person, use the "It's not you it's me" line. hahahaha, bands are so much like relationships, it's creepy.
yeah, talk to him about it, but be cool, cuz i know when my band kicked me out for just plain bein better then they were, i wish they woulda done that
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
bands are so much like relationships, it's creepy.

yeah. lol
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
Bands are WORSE than relationships. The reason being you have close relations with 2-5 other guys instead of one other person.

The first thing I'm going to tell you is to never hire a close friend for a band again. There was this one guy in high school I played with for YEARS. He was considered a friend because we went out to places besides for music. Around last year I knew damn well that if wasn't a musician also, I wouldn't be friends with him. Our personalities don't mix at all. His last band with me was Fall 2005. It was obvious he wasn't right for this band and he had a lot of personal issues (Like the fact that he was 21, didn't drive, had no job or money, etc.) When we went to kick him out he started crying claiming that the band was the only thing he had....which unforuntatly was the truth. He then promised he would change but we knew it was a lie.

It's been over a year since then and he's now in a band with a mutual friend and 2 15 year old girls. He still doesn't have a DL, job, or money and constantly still talks trash about his former band members. I tried to be considerate and offered him a job as a roadie for my new band which he turned down.

The point is, you have to think what the goal of your band is and is this guy right. If we kept that one guy in our band, we wouldn't have done what we accomplished.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Do what everyone does and say he's a good singer but doesn't fit the band's style.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I prefer various stonewalling techniques. That and just telling them they just suck.

I regret never telling my last drummer this. He is probably the worst drummer on the face of the planet, yet he went on and on about talent. He refused to play a straight forward punk, 4/4 beat because it takes no talent to play that, yet he always played a 4/4 beat with that dotted eighth thrown in, even when it didn't fit. He didn't understand that every instrument is there to serve the song, not to do something completely different because it's your self expression or whatever. Self-expression is such a dumb excuse for not contributing to a band. If something doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. If your singer doesn't fit, kick him out.

Also post links to your MySpace. Let us be the judge.
Man, teenage highschool bands, fun. The best way is to hold your balls and just tell him that your going to get a new singer or he doesn't need to be in the band. Now that i'm thinking about it, the highschool bands are really the only bands that have felt like relationships. If everybody was a serious musician, and not just intrumentalists and best friends, it'd be easier. what ever, just a thought.

Love the Low end
where do u live ill join ur band
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Behead Him!!(so he cant sing)
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
If your singer also plays another instrument, this need not be a problem. Just say you want to get a frontman with a different style, and would be mind, say, just playing guitar for a while. This is how my band at high school went about getting rid of me. They didn't like my singing style (I was a chorister, they wanted someone who sounded like James Hetfield) so I played base for a while before being replaced. At least I still got to play with them while we were at school.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by CrashedTheShow3
hey guys.

I've been having problems with my singer lately. We've only had him for about a month, and I think i've realized it was a big mistake. His lyrics don't make any sense, and he just plain can't sing. We just recorded our music, and its up on myspace, and everyone says he sucks. The only thing is, he's a really good friend to everyone in the band, and we don't want to kick him out, and never be talking to him again.

Anyone have any experiance on this before and wants to share some advice?

thanks

Ask Dave Mustaine, I'm sure has written a book in a ficticious name on creative ways to kick people out of a band. Such tips as: Accuse the member in question of having a drug problem. Plant a fews ounces of heroin in thier guitar amp at next practice, and while all friends around, go, "Hey what is this?"

or.....

You could also just go with the good ol', "This band wants to play music outside of your interests, take a hike."

or.....
get wasted this sunday on st. patty's and act like you want to have gay sex with him...this should drive him off for good....but if he reacts in a way unlooked for......well tell him, "This isn't the ****ing san francisco orchestra, the last thing we need is male roadie....get the **** out!"
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Last edited by Americanhoser at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by Americanhoser
Ask Dave Mustaine, I'm sure has written a book in a ficticious name on creative ways to kick people out of a band. Such tips as: Accuse the member in question of having a drug problem. Plant a fews ounces of heroin in thier guitar amp at next practice, and while all friends around, go, "Hey what is this?"

or.....

You could also just go with the good ol', "This band wants to play music outside of your interests, take a hike."

or.....
get wasted this sunday on st. patty's and act like you want to have gay sex with him...this should drive him off for good....but if he reacts in a way unlooked for......well tell him, "This isn't the ****ing san francisco orchestra, the last thing we need is male roadie....get the **** out!"

Mustaine is the bomb
My formal opinion, tatics aside, would be to be efficient and clean about it. If you leave him no doubt weather he is still in the band, this is the best. Tell him the straight up truth, with no harshness or attiude absent.
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Do as me and all of my friends do when we kick out a member. Split the whole band, and reunite a week later.

So professional and uncowardly...
member #7 of the "i remember when pokemon used to be cool" club.
Pm rhcp_freak or Tanglewoodguit to join.

Quote by tronsbassplayer
you no your a bassplayer when you Llsten to the best muslc NUMETAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lol'ed SOOOOO hard at that one!!!
Last edited by Man-bitch at Mar 16, 2007,
Quote by Man-bitch
Do as me and all of my friends do when we kick out a member. Split the whole band, and reunite a week later.

So professional and uncowardly...

hahaha thats a awsome idea