i have been playing bass for about six months now, mainly learning tabs of the internet and can play quite a lot of stuff, mainly rhcp. However i would still say i am very new on bass.
i know all the main major and blues scales, but i am having a real problem when it comes to jamming, would someone just help me out and tell me the basic principles of how to jam, so when i am shoved in a room with a drummer and guitarist i have a half decent idea of how to make a bass line?
Improvising, people work years upon years to perfect it.
If you want the easy way out so root notes i guess, but its really better if you develop your line while playing. (use the diffrent notes of the guitarist's chord and make a line out of it, then develop it to be a line from the whole scale)
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
jamming by yourself or with a group?

if you have a drummer and guitar or something, just get the drummer to play a beat, then lay down a bassline of a few notes and have the guitarist play over it, then alternate between lead lines on bass and guitar.

At least that's how I do it...
It takes a lot of time to jam well, you just have to know your scales so you know which notes to hit and everything, also being able to "feel" the beat helps
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
aye, learn you some theory. after a few years of practicing chord progressions and understanding the motions of the melody, then you can start adding your own flavor.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
First step pick out a key with your guitarist and stick to it. then:

Answer what the guitarists says. If he says Dow Now Na Nu Nah. Say Du Nu Nah Nip Baaa. Think of what you're doing with your guitarist as having a conversation.

If he says "Do you like cheese. you might say "yes I like cheese" someone else might say "no I don't like it" another one might say "yeah I like-a da cheese." Like no two people are going to answer in the same way and how they say it. Someone might say Dow Na Nu Nah. someone else might interpret that Dow Na Nu Na and cut the last note short. See? a conversation.

And it doesn't have to be a strict conversation where guitar says something you say something guitar you guitar you. If you don't like what the guitarist is saying in just like in real life cut him off or start talking at the same time or

If you have a question about what he just said say it right then. If someone starts saying : My grandma died but anyway do you like... You would cut them off right there and say wait your grandma died? So have a real conversation. How you would talk in real life. That's how I do it anyway.

The most important rule as in real casual conversation there are no rules. When you talk to your best friend you aren't polite or wait for them to finish you do what you want. No rules.
/\ this is why dinky daisy kciked your ass in the bass militia vote
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
First step pick out a key with your guitarist and stick to it. then:

Answer what the guitarists says. If he says Dow Now Na Nu Nah. Say Du Nu Nah Nip Baaa. Think of what you're doing with your guitarist as having a conversation.

If he says "Do you like cheese. you might say "yes I like cheese" someone else might say "no I don't like it" another one might say "yeah I like-a da cheese." Like no two people are going to answer in the same way and how they say it. Someone might say Dow Na Nu Nah. someone else might interpret that Dow Na Nu Na and cut the last note short. See? a conversation.

And it doesn't have to be a strict conversation where guitar says something you say something guitar you guitar you. If you don't like what the guitarist is saying in just like in real life cut him off or start talking at the same time or

If you have a question about what he just said say it right then. If someone starts saying : My grandma died but anyway do you like... You would cut them off right there and say wait your grandma died? So have a real conversation. How you would talk in real life. That's how I do it anyway.

The most important rule as in real casual conversation there are no rules. When you talk to your best friend you aren't polite or wait for them to finish you do what you want. No rules.

lol thats brilliant
Hey jazz_rock_feel great explanation. I'd never really seen it like that so no doubt it will open up new windows for my improvising now. Cheers!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^What!? Because I like to help people? Oh that's good. That's teaching the kids a good lesson. asshole.

calm yourself woman! it was a joke

it was deffinately, interesting..............
Quote by Mr. T
Here's a really good article that I use to jam all the time:

http://www.pickyourown.org/jam.htm
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I think one of the best thing's you can do to practice jamming is to take your bass, turn on a song you don't know the actual bassline to, and jam to that. Just play whatever you think sounds good with it, mix it up from what the bassist is playing. This works great with music where the bass isn't very prominent.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Normally I just sit there and listen to what the guitarist and drummer are doing while laying out the line in my head, then I play it, and if it sucks then I just follow what the guitarist is doing for a little while then come up with something else. Improvisation also depends on the genre you're playing, in metal you can follow the guitar alot more than you can in something such as jazz or blues.
The thing to remember is that you are the bridge between the guitar (Harmonic) and the drum (rhythmic) so you have to work with both.

With the guitar, I usually have the guitarist work through a basic rendering of a song and play a really basic bass line (root notes or simple walking bass). One I get a feel of how the guitarist is going to interpret a song and their style of playing, I work my bass lines to match appropriately.

With the drummer, its a bit easier, but its so important that you lock in with what they are doing, as to lay down the foundation. Focus in on what they are doing with the bass drum kicks and the hi-hat and ride cymbals. 90% of the time you should be playing a note when the drummer kicks the bass drum.

Resist the temptation to play loudly at first. Play softer and listen to what each other is doing; this is part of the conversation that jazz_rock is eluding to in his post.
One thing to note is that when Jamming, the bass is in control of the songs key. Guitars can play many different chords over one note but if the bass changes everything must follow =).
Also, your riff dosen't have to be constant, you can add a rest in giving yourself time to place your hands in ANY position and play whatever comes naturally. Ok there is a chance of you messing up but you've got an idea, concept so just develop it as you repeat your riff.
Drums | Piano | Bass
I always start the jam playing (mostly) root notes, then build on the bassline. You need to stick to your own way to develop the line....nobody can tell you how to improvise.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.