Went to Guitar Center today to try out some potential backup guitars. Really hated the kids in there playing the same riffs over and over and over through a 6505. Played a Gibson Faded Flying V, Schecter Gryphon, Yamaha RGX A2(weird lookin ****er), Fender HSS strat.

The Schecter really surprised me. I thought since it was so inexpensive that it would be crap. But to my surprise it sounded quite good. Nice warm and powerful.

Gibson Faded Flying V was sex in guitar form. I have heard people complain about the finish on the neck, but I thought it played very well. The body seemed light compared to my LP, but was not lacking in warmth.

Fender HSS strat was decent. It had the thinnest sound out of all the guitars, but had a nice neck. Better than I thought it would sound, but not quite meaty enough. Would DEFINATELY buy one for classic rock!

Yamaha RGX A2, quite interesting! It sounded great to be so light. The led thing really freaked me out though. I could not see myself playing a guitar with any form of light in it on stage.

After trying out these guitars, it led me to the conclusion that I need to try out MORE guitars!!! I just hope next time I go there the same bastards won't be in there playing the same riff over and over and over for half an our, take a cigarette break then come back and do it some more(like they did today)!

OH, about the 6505, it sounded better than I thought it would. But it was lacking high end clarity. It would probably make a nice amp if you got a treble booster pedal to use with it. +1 for Peavey.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Almost all schecter's are good....ive played the faded flying v and I love it except for the sharp fret ends.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by SG6578
Almost all schecter's are good....ive played the faded flying v and I love it except for the sharp fret ends.

Yeah the fret ends were pretty sharp on the V. But going there today really changed my mind about Schecters!
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
ya, there are usually a lot of pricks in guitar center, and i also agree with the statement about schecter...i love em, i dont have much of an income so i stick with them, they definitely get the job done well
I would go for a Schecter if you wanted a relatively cheap guitar that sounds great. I bought a Schecter Damien with a FR and I love it. To me it sounds great no matter what style of music I am playing. I also love the way it feels when you play it.
I am definately keeping Schecter in mind for a backup guitar. Sorta upset that Guitar Center didn't have the guitar in stock I wanted to try out today. Really wanted to try out a Dean Evo Noir. The fact that it has a mahogany body and arched maple top on a guitar under $300 really intrigues me.
Quote by Jackolas
An insightful post, thanks

Yeah, Schecters are awesome alright. I have one and love it. Mine is the lowest end model they make and it compares favorably to guitars twice as expensive. Any Schecter would make a great backup for your LP. I would suggest you try out any of the models in the Blackjack line. They look good and they all come with Duncans I think.
I think I have found the backup guitar! And surely alot of you may not like it because of the finish. But I think with the stage lights shining into this, it would look phenomenal!

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-SCE-S1-BB.html#
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
I think I have found the backup guitar! And surely alot of you may not like it because of the finish. But I think with the stage lights shining into this, it would look phenomenal!

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-SCE-S1-BB.html#

Better keep that polishing cloth handy! That's a beauty!

I picked up a Grypon myself after listening to a number of different guitars at GC. Loving it something major!

If I had the extra dough, I was also considering this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Schecter-C1XXX-Electric-Guitar?full_sku=102042397
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by SG6578

What sharp fret ends? Or maybe I just lucked out...

Anyway, nice choice of guitar. Looks awesome, and it'll probably look even better on stage.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Blackjacks got the JB/59. I've got one. Love the thing to pieces. If someone stole it, I'd find them, beat the s**t out of them with a garden hose, a frozen hot dog, and a bible. Then I'd take my guitar back.
I have found the worse time to go to guitar center is on weekends, especially saturdays. Thats when all the younger bunch is in there playing around with everything. I try to make my visits on a weekday, anytime between 10 am to 2 pm. I realise its hard if you have school, or work. But during school hours is why it can be so much better. lol
Quote by Hakael
Better keep that polishing cloth handy! That's a beauty!

I picked up a Grypon myself after listening to a number of different guitars at GC. Loving it something major!

If I had the extra dough, I was also considering this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Schecter-C1XXX-Electric-Guitar?full_sku=102042397

Wow, that is a nice guitar. The inlays are wild! And yes, I will definately need to keep the polishing cloth on hand for the one I plan on getting! I think with the Chauvet Oceana light shining on that guitar it will give off a really wild effect.
I only like the inlays on that guitar...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I like those yamahas...if Apple made a guitar, it would look like that.
Reminds me of an iPod.
Quote by continental
I like those yamahas...if Apple made a guitar, it would look like that.
Reminds me of an iPod.

HAHAHA You are right! I could definately see Apple making that guitar!
Argh, that S1 is mirror top? Why not go for a regular S1, or an S1 Elite? If you have fingertips, you're not gonna like that guitar for long.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Argh, that S1 is mirror top? Why not go for a regular S1, or an S1 Elite? If you have fingertips, you're not gonna like that guitar for long.

I just think it would be really interesting with stage lighting. Sure it will be a BlTCH to keep clean, but I think it would be worth it. I have to clean my Mesa alot because of the fingerprints on the diamond plate (head AND cab), but it looks great all shined up and sitting under the lights. I still have not ruled out the idea of getting a Gryphon or a Dean Evo Noir, but the S1 mirror top has my attention at the moment. Really need to play the Evo Noir and S1, as well as a few others before making a concrete decision anyway.
Today I received a mailer from Guitar Center. The cover says that they have items AT LEAST 50% off. So I thought it would be 50% off of their normal price. BUT when I read the mailer, all the items were their EXACT SAME PRICE!!! What kind of shit is that? They are preying on people that do not know their prices are already cut to match AMS, Musicians Friend and the like. I thought it was a very cheap and low thing for them to do. What do you think?
I don't know if there are guitar centres in the UK but it sounds like Dawsons here in the UK.
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
Today I received a mailer from Guitar Center. The cover says that they have items AT LEAST 50% off. So I thought it would be 50% off of their normal price. BUT when I read the mailer, all the items were their EXACT SAME PRICE!!! What kind of shit is that? They are preying on people that do not know their prices are already cut to match AMS, Musicians Friend and the like. I thought it was a very cheap and low thing for them to do. What do you think?

Its prolly 50% off the manufacturer's recommended retail
Quote by continental
Its prolly 50% off the manufacturer's recommended retail

It is, which is the guitar center everyday price. Yet they market it as "30th Annual Green Tag Savings Event". But in reality, there is no savings over their everyday price. They should have called it the "Pay what you always pay from us" event. It just seems they would use more honesty in their advertising.

Another thing they did is say that the Ibanez RG2EX2 had EMGS. Well, the fine print says they are emg designed. Does that constitute saying it has EMGS in big print? I just feel that there should be truth in advertising. Maybe it is the old ****er in me.