I'm sure if you've looked through a guitar magazine you've seen the big two page ad for a perfect pitch ear training course. If not here's the URL www.perfectpitch.com

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this before and if it actually works. It's something I really want to do but it's a lot of money if it's just a gimmick. Me ear is horrible and I'd love to improve it.

Anyone with some in site on this?

Thanks,

Brandon
^ well i haven't tried it, BUT i will say you can learn to identify notes by relational pitch pretty easily initially. i believe you can learn to memorize what certain notes sound like as i've been playing for 12 years roughly and by now i've gotten to the point where i can come damn close to tuning my guitar to whatever tuning i want just by thinking about the notes. now although its not perfect its really close generally. sorry i couldn't help about the ad thing, i've wondered that myself if its really that good.
Dont waste your time trying to learn perfect pitch because it can't be done. However, you can definitely learn relative pitch, which is arguably more musically useful. Download this program http://www.earmaster.com/. It is crazy how much you can learn from this program. It has pretty much any type of ear training you would ever want, chord recognition, interval recognition, melody dictation, blah blah blah.
That won't give you perfect pitch, that'll give you relative pitch at best. Some people don't even have the capacity to learn relative pitch, so I wouldn't even bother with it. It won't hurt but its not worth it. Relative pitch is something that is developed over time...
^ omg..... i won't say it CAN'T be done cuz i feel as though i've come damn close, i'll say that yes it can be learned but i dunno if the course in the magazines is good at it.
apparently the program offered by the magazine is an effective way (for some) to train relative pitch but there are easier and cheaper/free ways to do it
Quote by z4twenny
^ omg..... i won't say it CAN'T be done cuz i feel as though i've come damn close, i'll say that yes it can be learned but i dunno if the course in the magazines is good at it.

No way. Perfect pitch is being able to recognize any note, as plain as day. Like hearing a note and being able to tell that its 20 cents sharp. You may be able to memorize pitches , like memorizing what standard tuning sounds like after playing it for so long, but that is not perfect pitch.
i only argue this because i had a friend in HS, his band teacher didn't have perfect pitch, but throughout his musical career developed it and could point out anybody in the band who wasn't playing in tune. he claims that he learned to differentiate notes along the way because as he put it "you hear a B a million times, then you hear a Bb a million times and it becomes easy to know which note is being played" i would like to point out that he drank to the point of excess because our band sucked and it drove him quite insane.