Iam looking to buy one, just wondering what peoples opinion on them are?
Marcus Miller jazz bass pwns all!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Very nice bass but i prefer the Marcus Miller
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I have tried it and I found it was >_> <_< a little lacking actually. I am trying out the Miller soon so I hope it delivers a little more. But the MIJ's (Geddy and Marcus.) from personal experience absolutely pwn on the cost:quality ration compared to the americans. Comparing it too a Mexican was a little disappointing I don't know if it was $400 better.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
The Geddy is an excellent instrument. Mine plays better than any American I have ever set hands on. They have a really defined growl if that's what you're looking for. The neck pickup soloed gives a very convincing P-Bass tone.
I tried out a ton of basses at the guitar center.
And the marcus miller sig was my favorite compared to all the musicmans, warwicks and American jazz basses.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
i got one for christmas and i thought it was good

the neck is thinner then most ive played on but i like it better that way...its easier for me to play
courntey love killed kurt cobain

MomaJohn
It has an extremely thin nice neck, beautiful aesthetics, classic jazz body, 70's bridge pickup location (Absolutely key for an amazing rock sound, IMO, so aggressive) and quality worksmanship.

Great bass. Used ones can be found for as low as 500-550, which is an absolute steal.
haha
Ive played it and liked it alot but got a warwick rockbass instead.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
^ Idiot.

To metaluptheass, wheres the bridge pick-up in comparision to the modern fenders?
I like mine a tad firther away from the bridge, im even considering sticking a thumbrest on, but i oulf get the geddy if its there!
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Geddy Lee Jazz. The neck is way too thin for my tastes, and I dislike the gloss finish on it.

The build quality is fantastic, better than many American Fenders I've played (Japanese Fenders are by far my favourite), and it sounds good. I just don't like it overall, it doesn't suit me.

I'd rather have a Marcus Miller Jazz, or an Aerodyne (oh wait, I do!).

Quote by parker_muse
^ Idiot.

To metaluptheass, wheres the bridge pick-up in comparision to the modern fenders?
I like mine a tad firther away from the bridge, im even considering sticking a thumbrest on, but i oulf get the geddy if its there!

I believe it is about 2-3cm or so closer to the bridge.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 27, 2007,
I'm surprised how people are saying the neck is thin. It's a standard Jazz bass neck, with a 1.5" nut, like all Jazz basses ever. Do people avoid Fenders like the plague?

The main difference between the Geddy and any normal Jazz bass is it's maple block inlay bound fingerboard, it's '70's pickup placing, and the BaddAss Bridge.

The pickups are the same kind of pickups on the Jaco signature (which would mean that at least one of those basses has incorrect types of pickups).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I'm surprised how people are saying the neck is thin. It's a standard Jazz bass neck, with a 1.5" nut, like all Jazz basses ever. Do people avoid Fenders like the plague?

Incorrect, it does have a 1.5" nut width but there is more to the size of a neck. The Geddy Lee's neck is shaved down considerably giving it a much thinner profile than a normal Jazz neck.

A visual comparison of the profile would be (might want to tilt your head):

Normal Jazz: C

Geddy Lee: (

Obviously an oversimplification, but still.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Quote by canadianpunk071
Incorrect, it does have a 1.5" nut width but there is more to the size of a neck. The Geddy Lee's neck is shaved down considerably giving it a much thinner profile than a normal Jazz neck.

A visual comparison of the profile would be (might want to tilt your head):

Normal Jazz: C

Geddy Lee: (

Obviously an oversimplification, but still.

I think the neck is the number 1 complaint about the Geddy. Its a love/hate sort of thing. If you change the neck, its not a geddy any more. Its all about the black blocks+binding on maple.
^ Exactly. I do like the maple fretboard and inlays, I just have large hands so thin necks aren't very comfortable for me; I end up wrapping my entire hand around it lol. I actually generally prefer 5-string basses because I like the thicker neck.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Interesting, I guess I never noticed the thin-ness. I didn't play it for long though. My mistake.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
the geddy lee is probably the most popular non-usa bass, made by Fender. they are very nice! if you like the Fender Jazz sound (i do), you will not be disappointed. i have not played the Marcus Miller yet, though it looks great. the Highway 1 jazz is also worth considering, if you prefer a different color choice. it now has the BadAss II
bridge. (unlike mine ) but, IMO, the USA Jazz rules!!
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
It has an extremely thin nice neck, beautiful aesthetics, classic jazz body, 70's bridge pickup location (Absolutely key for an amazing rock sound, IMO, so aggressive) and quality worksmanship.

Great bass. Used ones can be found for as low as 500-550, which is an absolute steal.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Quote by parker_muse
^ Idiot.

It's like an inch closer? or somewhere in that vicinity.

It gives it a much better tone, IMO. Lots more growl.

I just wish it had a nitro finish.
haha
Didn't 70's basses use poly? Or did that start in '75?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah, Geddy's actual '72 has Poly (it's hold up amazingly well if you look at his actual bass), I just personally prefer nitro.

My ideal j-bass is a swamp ash bodied j-bass w/ 70's J-location & reverse P pickup, with a nitro cherryburstish kinda finish and maple neck w/ white (not yellow like the Marcus) blocks.
haha
^ SOMEONE wants to go to the Fender Custom Shop...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
^ SOMEONE wants to go to the Fender Custom Shop...

Actually, I'd rather get a Valenti.

www.valentibasses.com

I played one at NAMM, blew me away with its great quality.

A Valenti w/ those specs + either Nordstrand or Sadowsky pickups + Sadowsky pre? pwnt for life.

Oh, and it'd be a 5 string... a similar bass, while no less amazing from the Fender Custom shop, would destroy any semblance of money I'd ever have, yet a Valenti of the same specs can be had for me for probably 2100ish. Although that to is a price that pwns my wallet. So, my ideal Fenderesque bass, at least yet, is pretty unattainable.

However I'm perfectly fine with normal J's too, and wouldn't mind a used Sadowsky metro of any sort.

My main thing, I guess, is maple fretboards. Which Highway 1's don't have. The 70's bridge is a plus.
haha
Last edited by MetalUpTheAss at Feb 27, 2007,
Yeah, I can hear you with the maple fretboards. My Jazz and Precision have maple boards and I love them dearly. If you've never tried wenge fingerboards (a la Warwick), you'd be surprised too.

Never head of Valenti Basses. It looks to be a one-man operation, like Wishbass (minus the ugly body, stupid finish, and ridiculous choice of wood), which have always fascinated me. I'm not a boutique man (i.e. I'm a ***** for brand names), but those look like solid basses in nice colours.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, I can hear you with the maple fretboards. My Jazz and Precision have maple boards and I love them dearly. If you've never tried wenge fingerboards (a la Warwick), you'd be surprised too.

Never head of Valenti Basses. It looks to be a one-man operation, like Wishbass (minus the ugly body, stupid finish, and ridiculous choice of wood), which have always fascinated me. I'm not a boutique man (i.e. I'm a ***** for brand names), but those look like solid basses in nice colours.

They are pretty much a one-guy thing, although he sends out for parts from places like USA Custom Guitars and whatnot.

I'm a wenge fan, the back of my neck has wenge and I'm a big fan. For basses where maple just won't do (You know the kind) wenge or ebony is my favorite fretboard wood, but otherwise, maple wins all the time.

I'm looking towards buying a Lakland 55-02 sometime during 2007, and it will for SURE have a maple board. I just love the way notes pop out with maple.
haha