ok who's the best bassist of all time (and why, like what song makes you think so or whatever)? idk myself so I wanted to ask you
Not saying he's the best, but Flea is surely my favorite.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
not saying the best but....

My favorite:
Geezer Butler

Most overrated:
Flea

Most underrated:
Geezer Butler
Dave LaRue, his work in Dixie Dregs speacks for itself.
Last edited by MiG_853 at Feb 26, 2007,
Hmm very tough one, but from what i've seen I think Geddy Lee is an awesome bassist but it's between him and a few others, namely Victor Wooten and Jaco Pastorius (sp?).

For Geddy Lee, look at YYZ. For Wooten look at the Classic Thump and for Jaco look at Portrait of Tracy
signature
Micheal Anthony is the best ever. Just listen to the Running With The Devil. The way he hits those open E and A strings over and over again amaze me.

My second favourite is Adam Clayton. Listen to any U2 bass line (they're all the same). 8th note roots just pop my cork.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Marcus Miller is my favorite
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Out of all seriousness, it's hard to beat good ol' Thunderfingers on the Who's The Real Me (or a live version of 5:15 post 1995 if you like solos).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Micheal Anthony is a tool. Have you ever seen the videos of him on YouTube playing his drunken bass solos? I can't believe they didn't kick him out after the first time he pulled that. Sure, it was the 80's, but c'mon. I guess rock was just different back in the days of leather, large/wild cat prints, spandex and neon colored clothing.

There's my 2 cents. I figure it's slightly less controversial then arguing over who is the best bassist ever.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
One of my favorites has to be Alex Webster, search for "Frantic Disembowelment" on youtube and you'll see what i mean.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Easy, Victor Wooten. I got a bass instead of a guitar because of him.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Kool. Oh shoot it has to be best damn he can hold some groove though. Anyway best hmmmm.... Tough question along with being incredibly irrelevant it's been done a lot. Actually I think one just got revived a little bit before this one came out... hmmm... interesting. Any who ummmm.... pfffff.... I guess.. oops caught the loophole okay I'll say Charles Mingus.

Edit: Here it is
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by hatebreed219
Micheal Anthony is a tool. Have you ever seen the videos of him on YouTube playing his drunken bass solos? I can't believe they didn't kick him out after the first time he pulled that. Sure, it was the 80's, but c'mon. I guess rock was just different back in the days of leather, large/wild cat prints, spandex and neon colored clothing.

There's my 2 cents. I figure it's slightly less controversial then arguing over who is the best bassist ever.

Yeah, it was a joke. I saw them live and the solo was crap. All he did was hit the low E and then bend on the 21st fret of the G and make a face. The crowd loved it though.

It doesn't matter now, though, because his gig was nicked by Eddie's 15 year old son.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 26, 2007,
Juan Alderete de la Pena, James Jamerson, and Tim Commerford. My personal favorites.

Other favorites are Jesse Keeler, Paul Chambers, Dirk Lance, Justin Chancellor, Cliff Burton, Charles Mingus, and Bach. He didn't play bass but he wrote some of the coolest parts.

Jaco was a great musician, but as a person he seemed like he was an absolute dick. I read the Jaco book, and I was not impressed by his actions or thoughts. But that's me.

As for Cliff, he's definately not my favorite bassist, but he was a hell of a cool guy. I'd rather hang with him than Jaco any day of the week.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Feb 27, 2007,
The guy from Muse (Chris something) and Flea

and jason newstead is the man
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Mingus, then Jack Bruce
Quote by The Hurt Within
Wow you really are a class 1 idiot.

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Wait...What the hell are we sigging?

CFA-I'm not only the president, I'm also a client

Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM nick dixon or stonegolem13 to join
My personal favorites are: Tim Commerford, Chi Cheng, Justin Chancellor, Jesse Keeler, and STEVE ****ING DIGIORGIO!!!
John Entwistle, Jack Bruce and James Jamerson are my favourites to listen to, then it's probably Jaco and Geddy. I like wooten but I can't just sit down and listen to his stuff.

Edit: and someone that doesn't seem to get any mention on here at all - Danny Thompson
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Feb 27, 2007,
well i like all of those you guys sayd, but did anyone mentioned Brian Marshall, i kind of like his riffs ..
AbsentMind
Geezer, Cliff Burton, Mingus and Jesse F Keeler all make my list, as do both Kyuss bassists (Scott Reeder and Nick Oliveri) and Justin Chancellor. I like Timmy C but I think his playing is a bit basic a lot of the time to be included in this company.
Quote by mountaindew88
Juan Alderete de la Pena, James Jamerson, and Tim Commerford. My personal favorites.

Other favorites are Jesse Keeler, Paul Chambers, Dirk Lance, Justin Chancellor, Cliff Burton, Charles Mingus, and Bach. He didn't play bass but he wrote some of the coolest parts.

Jaco was a great musician, but as a person he seemed like he was an absolute dick. I read the Jaco book, and I was not impressed by his actions or thoughts. But that's me.

As for Cliff, he's definately not my favorite bassist, but he was a hell of a cool guy. I'd rather hang with him than Jaco any day of the week.

Actually i've heard Jaco was a reallly great person.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
Actually i've heard Jaco was a reallly great person.

From what I've heard about him, he seemed slightly odd
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Jaco was a great person, and then he went totally bonkers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^ 'cause of the heroin i guess..
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
^ 'cause of the heroin i guess..

Actually, Jaco was deathly afraid of needles, so he just stuck to coke and booze and insanity.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yusuke 'Yukke' Fukono from the J-Rock band MUCC. He may not be the best bassist, but listen to his basslines...they fit in so well with the music, almost perfectly. I think any band would benefit from hiring him as their bassist...his basslines are great, and his technique is awesome...he plays a five string and occasionally detunes it to get a Fieldy-like sound, but his is SO much better than Fieldy's...it's the clickety clack tone, but with more melody to it....

He just works so well as a bassist...technically, he's not at all better than some of the bass gods, like Wooten or Claypool, but he does his job far better than most of the bassists I've seen, and I personally like him better than Flea.
Cliff Burton and Steve Harris were/are not only really good players, but contributed a **** of a lot to writing of their bands' music (hence why 'tallica went downhill after Cliff died...). This has gotta make them pretty damn good seeing as they were/are members of the biggest and best known metal bands ever.

Steve DiGiorgio is a ****ing beast too
I can't help but have a soft spot in my heart for one Rob Trujillo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by myself101
The guy from Muse (Chris something) and Flea

and jason newstead is the man

Muse bassist- Chris Wolstenholme. He's a pretty talented player and one of my inspirations but others have to be Cliff Burton and Steve Harris, as i'm into metal.
signature