I think this is ridiculous, this tech is charging me $75 bucks to change 3 pots on my electric guitar.

anyone else think this is bullshit?
every job done by a chain dealer will be high.
they get people who wont do it them selves, & mkes loads off of it.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
refuse to let them do it, take it back, and pay half that much for a soldering iron at radio shack. problem solved.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Find a local shop willing to do it. They will do it for a lot cheaper, and you will probably be getting the same quality work on it.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
Guitar Center is a joke. You should buy from local stores, they always have the same prices but better service.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
See me being intelligent made friends with the guy and he does my work for either A free or B very cheap
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
yea thats what I was thinking, the guitar will be done on thurs, so tommorow im going in with a couple of friends and chatting with him and asking him if he wants to help us film some reviews of guitars....

i found a site that pays $50 per video of reviews that you upload, can be about anything but guitars are easy to do...

so ill tell him about that and maybe he'll cut me a deal if im nice haha

this is also the second time ive brought him my guitar
unless you have a hollow body/semi hollow, changing pots is a very easy job to do yourself. and guitar center has much better prices/ selection than most of the local shops in my area as far as gear, i don't know about repairs though, i do all that shit myself.
Quote by Syn Harvest
See me being intelligent made friends with the guy and he does my work for either A free or B very cheap

lol me being intelligent I learned how to do the work myself!

But $75 for 3 pots is outrageous. that's roughly an hour's bench time with something that should take half that tops. take it to a different shop if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, OR, buy a soldering iron and the pots and replace them.

Its rather simple if you're replacing them, that way you don't have to read a schematic or anything, just pull the wires off one, put them on the same place on the other and stick it in the guitar.
i dont know enough about it to be able to do it myself soo...

maybe he'll take paypal ahah hope so
Quote by GuitarGuy2387

well, I don't think guitar center accepts paypal.

However, if you choose to do it yourself all you have to do is remove the wires one at a time and reattach them to the same pole (tab, etc) on the new pot. viola, problem solved.

Pots will be about $5-$7 each, tho.
Guitar Center gets "first dibs" on almost all top brand guitars such as Ibanez / Fender / Jackson / Gibson, so if you need to get a limited edition guitar, they (or drumcityguitarland.com) are your best option...For example, when Ibanez put out the RG550 Reissue (1987 total guitars worldwide), Guitar Center got like half of them, and they got every guitar of the first batch. So thats why I go to them over local stores, but for repairs, I always do it myself or go local...
i dunno how it works, but isnt he independant so he can charge w/e and he doesnt do through guitar center?
lol me being intelligent I learned how to do the work myself!QUOTE]

Ah touche good sir lol

I would try but im horrible with electronics
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Wow, that's rediculous, I got my EMG 81/85 set installed on my SG for $35...that requires a lot more than just replacing pots...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
i dunno how it works, but isnt he independant so he can charge w/e and he doesnt do through guitar center?

Yeah, but most random guitar techs don't have paypal accounts, I also don't think they would have the ability to use paypal on their work machines (if they have a PC to use the internet at all) to send/receive cash.

If you're worried about cash you can either wait until you get money back from Paypal or go out and spend $40 on the soldering iron, solder and pots and do it yourself.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Wow, that's rediculous, I got my EMG 81/85 set installed on my SG for $35...that requires a lot more than just replacing pots...

Not really. $35 is about a half hour on the work bench, which is what it should take to swap out a set of electronics.

putting EMGs in is just wiring a battery in, swapping pots and swapping out pickups. It really isn't a big deal... Its just a few soldering connections more and if you don't have to open the guitar up multiple times it takes only a couple extra minutes.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
lol me being intelligent I learned how to do the work myself!QUOTE]

Ah touche good sir lol

I would try but im horrible with electronics

Same here, lol, well, I'm bad with guitars...I build computer parts but for some reason I manage to f*** up every guitar part I try to replace / fix...
haha

Practice young ones, practice.

Just make sure you're following the right diagram and double check your guitar/connections before you close it up. keep the soldering iron hot while you try out your new pickups an you can make any quick adjustments you need before you're finished.

New pickups are always so much fun. haha.

EDIT:

Also, if you feel that the bill is unjust you could always talk to him about it and see what caused the big hike in rates. $75 is alot, about $20 of that is from the pots; however I can't see putting an hour into replacing 3 pots.

Might as well go in and talk to the guy before you get all upset over something.
Is this combined with a set up and string change?? That usually costs 30-40 bucks almost anywhere.

How long would it take you to change the three pots your self? I figure it'll take him about 2 hours if he is doing a set and adjust as well.

If you break that down, he is only getting about $37.50 per hour for his labor. If he is a vendor that works on his own inside the store, he has to buy and maintain his own tools, health insurance (including sick days), pay rent or commission back to store to keep his space all out of that measly 75 he is charging you. He probably nets $20 or $25 out of that
per hour. That is not a hell of a lot for a guy trying to make a real living at it.

Most if these guys are small businesses inside the store. They usually do setups for the new gear in the store at dirt cheap for the store, and make their money on setups and installs.

If you are a regular customer (to the tech not the store) you have a right to be a little pissed and ask for a discount or a break. If not this is America you do have choices.

Not trying to start a war, just a view from the other side. By the way, I am not a tech, but like another post, I know a good one, and have gone out of my way to mike friends with him.
no, no setup, just straight pot change, ive been to him a couple times but eh w/e

ill go talk to him tomorrow maybe that'l do something
mate that is ridiculous!!

i had the same thing in denmark street in london. i went into rockers( the "best" shop there) and asked for my guitar to be set up for drop-D (its a floyd rose) cos i had no experience doing it.

first off he asked for £40 (about $75) plus strings, which i thought was a bit steep but what the hell.
he then said it would take a week. so i came back a week later and he said that he hadnt done it yet. and that it would be ready at the end of the day. so i had to wait around for 4 hours till it was done. it wasnt too bad cos i spent most of it playing half the shops stock of guitars and an hour or so in the pub.

when i actually got the guitar back i paid and left. when i got home i found that he had completely screwed up the action and had left it in standard tuning. what a ****ing knob.

sorry for the rant but the moral of the story is to just learn to do it yourself. it may take a little while to learn but it will save you alot of hassle and money in the future
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by GuitarGuy2387

that $75 is probably their hourly rate, and they probably charge a minimum of 1 hour.

i don't think you'll spend more than $10 for a basic soldering iron, and electronics solder is about $1.50
and its such a simple procedure, you could probably figure it out without any instruction what so ever. if you get brand new pots, you can practice soldering on your old ones when you ppull them out of your guitar.

NOW GET TO IT!!!!
Quote by tsmilliner
How long would it take you to change the three pots your self? I figure it'll take him about 2 hours if he is doing a set and adjust as well.

really, pots are almost as simple as an input jack. i stink at soldering, and even i figured it out.

for $75. you could have bought a used bullet guitar and a soldering iron kit.
used that, to learn how to take pots and pups on and off.

small shops usually charge about half as much as GC and sometimes use the same guys to do the work because GC often contracts out.

so, live and learn. get the guitar back, mack sure u TRY IT THERE. and there is no crackling noise when u roll the knobs.

then, next birthday, pick up a beater guitar to take apart and learn on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Jeez, I got a soldering iron for like 5 bucks at Radio shack. Ravage some old/useless electronics you have in your house to practice your soldering and as the person above me suggested, practice on an old/starter guitar.
Bah

I don't understand the "Practice on your old guitar" concept.

Its just electronics. At the very worst you have to stop, get a diagram and start from scratch.. its not like you could mess anything up unless you burn your guitar with a soldering iron.. haha.
^LAf, ive managed to mess up a few things trust me.

but sometimes a guy needs to practice on a beater just to get his feet wet, to see that nothing can really go that wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
^LAf, ive managed to mess up a few things trust me.

but sometimes a guy needs to practice on a beater just to get his feet wet, to see that nothing can really go that wrong.

never had that experience.

At the very least he could just get some old pickups and stuff together without buying an actual guitar and work on those.

Soldering is really easy and its very helpful that way you don't have to deal with paying $40 to have your new pickups (which you just paid $150 for) installed.
Quote by MatrixClaw

not much more .
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Diy.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Eh. I woulda charged ya like $20 or so. Depending on how I felt.

lmao The other day at work I charged a guy $20 labor to change his strings and replace the strap peg on his guitar. I was hungry at the time so I charged a lot...
It's wicked easy dude. Do it yourself. Check out the GB+C forum.

$15 soldering iron
$2.50 desoldering wick (not necessary but nice to have)
$2.50 decent amount of solder

And with that, you can change out pickups for free for a long long time.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I loathe Rockers, they are a complete bunch of ****s.

If you go in and ask for something, it will always be out of stock, but will "be in a few weeks"

Took me 6 months to get a set of Sperzel tuners.

If you want work done in London, pay Andy Gibson a visit. He's the best.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

If you want work done in London, pay Andy Gibson a visit. He's the best.

is that the guy that owns Andy's? if not where is he?
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2