Hey guys im a beginner and i was wondering what would be a good song to get me started playing lead, for example one that introduces me to all the basics and things i should know. overrall a song that will help me get of to a good start and help me develop good technique.
Here's some of the first solo's I properly learnt, so you can try them:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit,
The Vines - Get Free,
Oasis - Live Forever, (the first solo is awesome)
The Libertines - Time for Heroes,
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze.

Try those out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
hey where u say to learn purple haze do u mean the whole song or just the solo?
I wouldn't play songs, experiment with the neck, get to know it. Learn to improv, if you spend youre time learning songs, you'll never learn to play guitar.
Quote by fez1990
hey where u say to learn purple haze do u mean the whole song or just the solo?

Learn the whole song, it's kinda like one giant solo. But yeah, the actual solo's are great learning aid's too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
not really for solos and leads but it is a little . if u r just starting the guitar first practice ur bar chords. then play green day songs. im not saying this because i like them. they have very easy song with only a few simple riffs. even if u dont like them u should try it. i started with them and now i know about 12 of their songs. now i play green day, anti-flag, bowling for soup, relient k, a little +44, hawthorne heights, some all american rejects, mxpx, the red jumpsuit apparatus, and three days grace. i play multiple songs by these artists.
he said lead guitar not 3 barre chord "punk" songs. please exit this thread.

another good song to learn would be Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
agree with Made of Metal,

Also learn a bunch of zeppelin riffs, Page has alot of awesome ideas all through most of his songs

work on scales/barre chords... that'll get you far
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
Quote by Made Of Metal
Metallica: One, Sanitarium, Fade to Black

The ending solos in One and Fade to Black aren't exactly begginer solos.

I'm assuming you meant the intro solos, and if so, agreed.
Last edited by The way to hate at Feb 26, 2007,
Do some chromatics on the whole fretboard every day, then everytime you hear a slow solo, you should be able to play it. The timing is the hard part. Learn the pentatonic and it will help heaps too.

Learn the sanitarium opening solo and the one opening solo, then 1st and 3rd solo's in fade to black. It's what I did, and I had alot of fun.
The solo to Stairway to Heaven is a really good one to learn. It might seem a little daunting if you're a beginner, but if you take it slow and really perfect it, your lead guitar skills will improve by leaps and bounds. Other songs mentioned in this thread might be better to start with, but the Stairway solo is great if you just want to jump in head first.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Yeah, Fade to Black was my first solo I ever learned. Then Domination by Pantera, then Crazy Train...

It's weird because I hardly pick up my guitar. I know it sounds like bullshit/bragging, but it's the truth. I myself think it's weird.
Quote by Schecter1277
I wouldn't play songs, experiment with the neck, get to know it. Learn to improv, if you spend youre time learning songs, you'll never learn to play guitar.

For SURE

This makes a huuuge difference! Get familar with the major scale shape and try to play by ear finding the root note on the low E string.
Also about learning the neck, its quite satisfying to know whats being written when you're reading a song book. You'll look at the notes and know its this scale or that in this key ect ect... Do a little reading and do some basic theory practice it may seem very hard to grasp but beleive me man it will help your playing 10 fold.
A fun solo is Zakk Wylde's tribute to Dimebag Its real easy and sounds complicated so its great to impress your friends with

The song is In this River by Black Label Society. A very lovely song, if you can learn the piano it would be sweet too.

Timestamp for the solo is at the 2:30 mark
Last edited by the spiker at Feb 27, 2007,
Dream theater hollow years,its an easy solo,but not the live version..

Black sabbath songs are not that hard neather,might take some time to learn but look in to them..
Quote by Schecter1277

i dont agree with that learning songs will increase aptitude for learning parts it will also build confidence in your guitar playing and you will get to see how the masters do things which will help you be creative
Take time to get used to playing a guitar, go up and down the neck playing all the strings when you play, get used too playing up and down, and not just one or the other. Start playing songs that dont play very fast, like nirvana or jimi hendrix, Its good for learning lead at the start, Practice as much as you can and uhhh thats all I got too say lol, good luck. Also it depends on what kind of music you listen to to see what kinda lead you mean, like classic, blues, rock, metal, metalcore, hardcore. So I hope you have a fun time and good luck.

Sinserly,
~AILDCoBShreeder~
Quote by Schecter1277

thats not true, you need to play songs to get the idea of what is usually played and what isnt. thats where you get your influences from. that added to just experimenting and doodling whatever makes a good combination
Quote by Schecter1277

OMG, don't listen to this guy!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Nothing Else Matters, that's an awesome and easy solo right there.
And Watching Over Me and I Died for You by Iced Earth.
Quote by achtung baby
i dont agree with that learning songs will increase aptitude for learning parts it will also build confidence in your guitar playing and you will get to see how the masters do things which will help you be creative

Indeed

But you should know what you are playing and why first... That way you're not just miming interpertations of music. You'll progress a lot faster too knowing where the notes line up and fall.
I would say work on a few scales until they're muscle memory then,
unleash the beast within
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long. REALLY easy solo.

KISS - Love Gun. There is a run that sounds hard in the solo, but it is easy.

Faster Pussycat - Don't Change That Song. REALLY REALLY EASY!

Cinderella - Nobody's Fool. Another easy solo. A couple of the runs may be a bit
tricky for a beginner. Just take your time and learn them slowly, and you will have it down.

Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel the Noise. The first and last run may be a bit tricky for a beginner, but again, practice it slowly. The rest of the solo is simple.

I am sure you can tell I grew up on 70s and 80s rock. Anyway, those solos are fairly easy. The first 3 are typical old rock n roll solos. The last 2 may give you a bit of grief if you are just starting. But they will give you some gratification because of the runs.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~