I've only heard this phrase twice. The first time I heard it, I thought it was some one making a joke at all the *blank* core things. But I heard it again and I was like.. oh.

So anyway, what are some 'mathcore' bands out there and what exactly, if anything, makes it merit that title?
A made up genre used to lable metal bands that don't know how to write memorable riffs and so write breakdowns in weird time signatures.
Quote by i am the robots
A made up genre used to lable metal bands that don't know how to write memorable riffs and so write breakdowns in weird time signatures.

Architects could be considered math-core, and you just called them the best hardcore band ever.
Quote by i am the robots

What he really means is bands that can PLAY.
As opposed to the common 4/4 chug chug dischord ethic.
And if he listened to Between The Buried And Me's Coulrophobia he would not be saying they don't know how to write memorable riffs.
Quote by Chris1988
What he really means is bands that can PLAY.
As opposed to the common 4/4 chug chug dischord ethic.
And if he listened to Between The Buried And Me's Coulrophobia he would not be saying they don't know how to write memorable riffs.

Don't knock a genre you obviously know nothing about.
Quote by icantplaythis!
haha sounds like my first band where all of us were nOObs.

Judging by the avatar and I'd say not much has changed.
Quote by fourstringpunk

Don't knock a genre you obviously know nothing about.

The way I see it everyone has an opinion but they deserve to be flamed if they clearly have nothing to back it up.
And I give it about an hour before baby throws the toy out of his pram.
Cheers to you too!
Hardcore, metalcore or grindcore that uses unusual time signatures, essentially.
Yeah.
Like Meshuggah are a metal band who play in odd timings so they are regarded as math metal.
Hardcore bands who play in odd timings a lot get the math prefix.
Quote by jefflucas
Check the "Hardcore Genre Dictionary" thread. Preventing threads like this is the reason why it's stickied.

Read and learn.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)