ok so, say theoretically, i am gonna buy like a 100watt all tube vox amp. theoretically. or say any kind of 100watt tube for that matter. would that be too loud for like club gigs and stuff. or too big?

second question. this guy(employee) at a carvin store i went to said that the watt rating on cabs is the minimum watts that an amp should be to power the cab. now is that true? and if so, could i power a 100watt cab with like a 100/120watt head or could i do it with a 50watt head and still work without f***ing up the cab?

alright finally, this kinda lends itself back to the first question but, im actually planning on getting a vox 125lead, 125watt head. now im not sure if thats too much power for club gigs(like too much for me to turn past like 5 lets say on vol.) or if its ok. also, if it is too much...what else would you guys recommend? i play mostly bluesy, rock, jazzish, etc. im kinda in a john lennon/allman brothers band phase right now, but ive always played mostly blues and rock.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
amp q: no not to big. you can never be too big, you can only be too small.

#2. yes that is true. the wattage of a cab is the max wattage of the head, thus if you have a 60w cab, and a 100w head, buhbye speakers. thats why for small heads you see small cabs, they can be pushed easy.
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 26, 2007,
You can always get an attenuator, but higher gain amps (half stack and all) get more head room, so it's easier to crank.

I think it'll be too much, really depends on your crowd.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
ok well, how bout lets say for practice. my band consists of 3guitars and drums.

do you think 50watts tube would be better? and would i still need an attenuator?
oh ya, since you own an orange, before i saw this vox i was thinking of getting, i was really leaning towards saving for an orange rocker 50. do you think that would be good?
ya either get an attenuator or maybe a smaller cab 2x12 or 1x12 but it wont make too muh of a differnce....
but i like the head room a 100watt head gives you on the cleans so it wont ever be "too loud" for gigs tho...even tho we all crave having a amp that is louder than hell.. like the bigass crate 600watt monster
To Arlabester: lol, 500 tube watts ftw!

To thread starter...

I think 50 watts would be fine! I don't think you'll need an attenuator unless you're goint to play it at home or something.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by flyingv_m3
ok well, how bout lets say for practice. my band consists of 3guitars and drums.

do you think 50watts tube would be better? and would i still need an attenuator?

yes, like i said, it can never be too big.

^
i dunno, to fender guy, i have a 100watt ss yamaha. it does cleans superbly, but even jamming with my band i havent cranked it all the way, i usually go about like no more than like 7 on vol, and thats usually pushing it.

ok, well, orange sounds good , ughh but its so expensive! the 50 is like $1800+ and right now i have about like $600. :/ doesnt matter though...anyway, so yall think an orange 50 is a good choice?
i was also thinking of a fender bassman...?
haha, we manage, it sounds nice, we can have one guy on vocals playing rhythym while the other two do like fills and little lead solos and what not. usually i play lead and fill type stuff. it has its advantages and disadvantages lets say
Quote by flyingv_m3
i dunno, to fender guy, i have a 100watt ss yamaha. it does cleans superbly, but even jamming with my band i havent cranked it all the way, i usually go about like no more than like 7 on vol, and thats usually pushing it.

ok, well, orange sounds good , ughh but its so expensive! the 50 is like $1800+ and right now i have about like $600. :/ doesnt matter though...anyway, so yall think an orange 50 is a good choice?
i was also thinking of a fender bassman...?

well you can use master and gain volumes on a tube.
Quote by flyingv_m3

A decent quality 50W tube amp will be louder than your 100W SS Yamaha.

The real beauty of a tube amp shines thru when you start to push the power tubes. With 100W, you may never push them, thus never getting the amp's sweet spot. I have a 60W amp, and even that's more than I'll ever need. Better to have something in the 30-50W range that you can crank a little. You can always mic it up for bigger gigs.

And if you're after a cleaner sound, Fender's the way to go. The Bassman's a nice amp. Check out the Super Reverb, too. The Vox AC30 would also be plenty suitable for club sized shows.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
slatsmania hit the nail on the head. You can, in fact, have an amp that's "too big" if you plan on cranking it. 50 watts is a good size for medium size to larger gigs. If the gigs get to big for a 50 watt tube amp, then you'll be able to mic the amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
alright thnx so much. then right now ill be leanign towards the orange or fender. but reality, i really wanna get a 50watt vox, im in love with their sound. fender doesnt have enough crunch for me, even though i love the cleans, and the orange is a little modern for my purposes. anyway thnx yall
^

Have fun with your vox!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
yup, hopefully ill find a 50watt that isnt outrageously priced. oh by the way.

this is a question for jinskee:
i see that you have BK pick ups. i was recently also looking into them. i wanted to know if you liked them alot, b/c from what ive heard, i reallly think theyll do my lp justice. i mean, it sounds really good, but i want even more. i was looking at stormy mondays, they sound perfect for me. what do you think?
I hear stormy mondays are real good, what genres, tone, you're looking for? Best bet is go to the site forum and ask (Really cool guys) or email tom (creator of BKP's). He actually emailed me back! What a surprise! But he told me to get, his favorite pair, mules. Very versatile and low output!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Budget 50 watt amps?

Hmmm, Ampeg Super Jet might be it, but it only has cleans. but what sweet cleans they are. Try a valveking, make sure it's not a lemon.

40 watt tube amps:Fender Hot Rod or Blues Reissue, Pignose g40, B-52 at112, Randal 50TC. Try as many as possible and see which one you like.

these are all $500-700 US
Last edited by Charso at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by TNfootballfan62
slatsmania hit the nail on the head. You can, in fact, have an amp that's "too big" if you plan on cranking it. 50 watts is a good size for medium size to larger gigs. If the gigs get to big for a 50 watt tube amp, then you'll be able to mic the amp.

A 50w isn't that much quieter than a 100w amplifier.

Once you're at that level of loudness with that many speakers it doesn't really matter that much...

They're easier to crank, but if you're cranking a 50w tube head you're going to drown out any un-miced drummer and probably anyone else as well unless they want to match your volume.

I use my 100w head around 3 on the master volume during practice. That'd be roughly 4 on a 50w head.. We need earplugs. Haha.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
A 50w isn't that much quieter than a 100w amplifier.

Once you're at that level of loudness with that many speakers it doesn't really matter that much...

They're easier to crank, but if you're cranking a 50w tube head you're going to drown out any un-miced drummer and probably anyone else as well unless they want to match your volume.

I use my 100w head around 3 on the master volume during practice. That'd be roughly 4 on a 50w head.. We need earplugs. Haha.

yeah, he's right. you have to square the wattage to double the volume.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!

If you have a high-wattage tube amp and rely on power tube saturation for your sound then you can have an amp that's too loud. I was at a small open air gig a couple of years ago, and the sound engineer was really struggling to hear one band as the guitar was overpowering. He asked the guitarist to turn down, to which he replied "I can't...it's a Triple Rectifier". Now, it could jst be that he's an idiot and can't use an amp properly...but that 100 watt amp was causing the PA problems in an OUTDOOR gig, think about whether you're ever going to need that kind of power indoors.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yes, and you also want to look on the practical side: higher wattage amps are usually much bigger and heavier. A 30 watt 1x12 or 2x12 should be fine for your needs.
alright thanks everyone. ill check out out mostly 30s and 50s. maybe an ac30 head? i dunno. but thnx to everyone.
Quote by flyingv_m3
ill check out out mostly 30s and 50s. maybe an ac30 head? i dunno.

Magnificent amp! Vox also has a new Classic Plus series with 50W and 100W heads. If the extra wattage will give you more confidence, you may want to check 'em out: Vox AC50CPH

Not sure if it's released yet, though.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you need clean headroom you'll be able to use it if it's not deafeningly loud.
But if you're wanting power amp OD you probably won't get it until it's stupidly loud.

And the cab's wattage generally needs to be larger than the head's wattage.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by tubab0y
yeah, he's right. you have to square the wattage to double the volume.

I think it's 10x to get double the power. Can you show me where It says that? now I'm really confused about it.
Quote by Charso
I think it's 10x to get double the power. Can you show me where It says that? now I'm really confused about it.

10x is right.
Pignose PWN.

get one. you can even get a 60W halfstack. I love that tone, man. It makes me do things.... horrible things... but i couldn't leave it. you'd really have to meet them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by steven seagull
If you have a high-wattage tube amp and rely on power tube saturation for your sound then you can have an amp that's too loud. I was at a small open air gig a couple of years ago, and the sound engineer was really struggling to hear one band as the guitar was overpowering. He asked the guitarist to turn down, to which he replied "I can't...it's a Triple Rectifier". Now, it could jst be that he's an idiot and can't use an amp properly...but that 100 watt amp was causing the PA problems in an OUTDOOR gig, think about whether you're ever going to need that kind of power indoors.

???

Triple Rectifiers are 150w

Also

The guitarist is just a failure. I don't see why the sound guy would have a hard time hearing them, though, considering each amp is miced and leveled and any good tech has sound isolating headphones to dink around with

You can easily play a 100w tube amp around 5 without any bitching from the sound tech. Usually in smaller venues its a pain in the ass because the PAs aren't as big and are easily overpowered, but I duno, you shouldn't have a problem getting power tube saturation at an outdoor gig with a recto.. that's alot of room to work with.
Triple Rectifiers are 150w

I phail at life

The guitarist is just a failure. I don't see why the sound guy would have a hard time hearing them, though, considering each amp is miced and leveled and any good tech has sound isolating headphones to dink around with

I did wonder if he was just being an arse about it "Oh, I couldn't possibly turn down because my amp is so loud and uber", either that or he wasn't bright enough to properly understand how it worked. I guess it still illustrates my point kind of, in that too much power in the hands of a dick is a bad thing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok, that helps alot. so the cab should be more wattage than the head right? but what if its like alot more? say like a 50watt head to a 200watt cab?

also, thnx for the rest of the help. i think ill probly go for like a 50watt head, probly orange or vox or marshall.