So I have decided to sell some old things and since I will have a little extra cash, I decided that maybe I should buy a half stack. But when I went onto Musiciansfriend and Music123, I was pretty overwhelmed. It seemed like the only amps within my budget range (I would really like to only spend $700 max, but if I see a GREAT amp I could bump it up to $1,000 if I'm lucky) were almost exclusively Marshalls. I have some friends who own Marshall amps, and I personally think they sound like sh!t. Now I don't know if it's just the specific model or what, but for the price they sound pretty damn disappointing.

Anyways, since there are just so many different amp choices out there, can anyone recommend either some brands and models that might work? I play mostly metalcore and death metal. Maybe certain Marshall models aren't so bad, even?
Get a Carvin MTS half stack, not terribly expensive but much more worth it than probably any other new half stack under $1500, trust me save up for a good tube amp.
My Rig:
1970's Twin Reverb
1972 Gibson SG
1970's Raven SG copy (extreme modifications)
EH Double Muff
Dunlop Hendrix wah
and of course... a disco ball
Get a Peavey Valveking Halfstack...

I've heard some pretty wonderful things about that + it's in your budget.

The head version of course... If you don't beleive me check the reviews.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Just to let you know, it's not that neccessary to purcahse a half stack, but you could if you wanted that extra loudness to pop in and more head room...just saying cause your choices will be opened even more if you look into combos.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by redrumsixsix6
i like behringer gmx212 line

Theyre actually not bad amps. I have one and granted it buzzes w/ single coil pups at high volumes but overall i think it was well worth the $250 or whatever i spent on it. Effects arent half bad either.
EDIT: For tubes and the price range i always reccomend Carvin and B-52.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Feb 27, 2007,
Go for a combo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
sorry to say man but for that price your not going to find a high quality tube amp new, used id really look into carvin, tube marshalls, maybe peavey for a cab id look into avatar cabs save yourself some green
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Laney GH50L with matching quad..... Alot like Marshall JCM 800 in veritility but far superior tone and features..... Great value too
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by sheumack111
Laney GH50L with matching quad..... Alot like Marshall JCM 800 in veritility but far superior tone and features..... Great value too

...superior tone to the JCM800.....now I havnt heard the Laney, but I have heard the 800....and if what you say is true then golly gosh, pippity pip.

Im not american, so Im not sure, but I would SERIOUSLY suggest looking in to second hand Combos, you can get a MUCH better amp for that price if your willing to look in to 2nd hand and combos....besides, having a half-stack does not make you look cooler or anything (if thats the reason you wanted a half-stack)

Also, some Marshalls are great, your friends one, if it sounds like shite, is probably an MG....and you'd be right in saying it sounds like shite, cos it pretty much does, either that or he has a better one, but doesnt know how to EQ or something.
Quote by Jinskee
Just to let you know, it's not that neccessary to purcahse a half stack, but you could if you wanted that extra loudness to pop in and more head room...just saying cause your choices will be opened even more if you look into combos.

True, it isn't completely necessary, but I'm looking for something that is loud enough to last through many years (and many bands).
Valve combo all the way.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Hakanku
...superior tone to the JCM800.....now I havnt heard the Laney, but I have heard the 800....and if what you say is true then golly gosh, pippity pip.

Well I would agree but of course it's down to taste. The JCM800 is an excellent amp, but I wouldn't draw too many comparisons between the two-they're quite different beasts. What I would say is that the Laney has a far more unique sound... and who wants to sound like everyone else anyway?
I like combos better; easier to carry around.
And so I killed the guy and the police are still lookin for me!
Quote by Nolly
Well I would agree but of course it's down to taste. The JCM800 is an excellent amp, but I wouldn't draw too many comparisons between the two-they're quite different beasts. What I would say is that the Laney has a far more unique sound... and who wants to sound like everyone else anyway?

Do you have EL34's or 6L6's in yours??? I have El34's thats probably why mine sounds british..... I love it though....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I would suggest getting "better" used gear than buying something cheap and new. obviously. depending on how serious you are going to take playing live etc, maybe a Peavey XXL, i personally like them. They have a good "death metal" tone for the price, then again there is not much to that tone other then scooped mids and high lows. for a cab id suggest a used peavey cab as well, try out everything, don't settle for crap.
Quote by sheumack111
Do you have EL34's or 6L6's in yours??? I have El34's thats probably why mine sounds british..... I love it though....

Yeah I've got JJ E34Ls for power, Tung-Sol 12AX7s in V1-3, and an EH 12AX7 in V4. I agree its a very British sounding amp, I just wanted to make it clear that it has a unique sound and isn't just a Marshall clone.

If you're interested in how it sounds, here's a clip of me playing I just uploaded to google video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7660202396665720577&hl=en
It's recorded by my digital camera so the sound quality is pretty bad. Also bear in mind the amp was only on around 0.75 on the master volume! I'm plugged directly into it-no pedals or anything in between.
Last edited by Nolly at Feb 28, 2007,