I play lead guitar in a metal band and I need to upgrade my amp situation. I almost exclusively use my Schecter Hellraiser, and I'm looking for an amp that will compliment the active EMG's it carries. Ideally, the amp should be within the 400-550 (Canadian) dollar price range. I know you can't get a truly great amp for that price, but I will have to live with it. Also, I would prefer the amp to be between 120-150 Watts. Lastly, I'm not to bothered about effects. I just need a good sounding amp that goes fairly loud and has adequate distortion for the genre's of metal I play (think Dave Mustaine meets Jon Schaffer). Ok, quick recap:

Lead guitarist in a thrash/power metal band looking for a decent 120-150 Watt amp within the 400-550 dollar (CDN) price range; amp should have good distortion and should also sound good running a Schecter Hellraiser with active EMG 81/85 pick-ups.

Thanks
Used Peavey 6505 or 5150? (same thing different name)
Brutal distortion.
120 watts of all tube power. Loud as FUDGE. Can you say hearing damage?
Compliments high output pickups (like emg's)
Great lead tones if you fiddle with it (Think In Flames)
Type in 6505 Peavey or 5105 Peavey into youtube to get some tone samples
Bands that use(d) them:
In Flames
Arch Enemy (old)
Trivium (Old)
A ton of other bands. They may not say they use them, but a ton of bands use the 6505/5150 in the studio.

EDIT: Here's a good example of the tone (May not like the playing, listen to tone uses EMG's I think)

Here's one of the 6505's lead tone (watch the whole thing)
6505 lead

Mid gain stuff:
5150 metallica

In Flames Live (Using 5150's) Both rythem and lead tones (EMG 81 and 85)
in flames
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Last edited by zackprs at Feb 26, 2007,
if youve got the cash genz benz el diablo or mesa dual rectifier. i just got a jcm2000 which is great for slayer/old metallica sounds but not nu metal. 5150 doesnt have good clean tones and isnt as versatile as others.
5150/6505. AMAZING for metal and people who say they dont have good cleans dont know how to set an amp up
^+1, if you spend some time with it you can get a pretty good clean, it's no deluxe reverb, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Last edited by zackprs at Feb 27, 2007,