Page 1 of 2
I've never played before, but I can already tell playing right handed would be a handicap right from the start, so playing right handed isn't gonna work for me. I could play right handed, but why limit myself when I don't need to?
You should challenge yourself and learn both left and right handed playing, so you can battle MAB.
High as tits
i learned lefty, and i think righty wouldve been really hard, but might have been better for gear availability, but bbeing a lefty makes me a unique person, so im glad i learned that way
as for guitars, unless a body is symetrical, play a left handed guitar, it makes fret access easier and seting up a righty guitar for a lefty is a bitch
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
You should challenge yourself and learn both left and right handed playing, so you can battle MAB.

lol, what's a mab?

The thing is though, the guitar I FINALLY settled on, a Fender Fat Strat, isn't avaliable in left handed.

Could I pull a hendrix and just flip it? I guess not.
Michael Angelo Batio, he is famous for playing symetrical double neck guitars as well as four neck guitars.
High as tits
good friend of mine is a lefty who just recently started playing, and actually decided to play righty just for the sake of gear availibility. it hasnt been much of a handicap for him in my opinion, however, if you are sure you wanna stick with lefty playin, id probably get a left handed guitar, just because flippin your strings around an settin up guitars that way, defniitely sucks
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
youre new so itll be awkward any which way unless youve played an instrument before,

there are less availability of lefty guitars, you can play a righty upside down and restring it, orrrr you can just turn a righty upside down and learn to play backwards.

its really your hcoice, playing a righty upside down will mean you can pick up a guitar from anywhere and be able to play it. Thats always a nice thing to be able to do. but ultimately its your choice, unforutnatly being lefty makes accomodations very difficult.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by Symphonic Waves
lol, what's a mab?

The thing is though, the guitar I FINALLY settled on, a Fender Fat Strat, isn't avaliable in left handed.

MAB is the definition of metal. He pretty much invented it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=c35FZf3Jom4
I'm back, you douchebags.
I would just play it right handed. I used to be lefty, but being chinese, different = bad. So I learned everything righty.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
buyt a fender strat standard and either put in a new pickguard and bridge pickup or install a seymour duncan single coil sized humbucker
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by ark
youre new so itll be awkward any which way unless youve played an instrument before,

there are less availability of lefty guitars, you can play a righty upside down and restring it, orrrr you can just turn a righty upside down and learn to play backwards.

its really your hcoice, playing a righty upside down will mean you can pick up a guitar from anywhere and be able to play it. Thats always a nice thing to be able to do. but ultimately its your choice, unforutnatly being lefty makes accomodations very difficult.

I'm not good either way, but holding the guitar left handed just feels "right". It's like if you're right handed, trying to write with your left. It just doesn't "feel" right. For whatever reason, your can't even draw a straight line.

That's how it'd be with me playing right handed. It just feels wrong.
Quote by DaveDaThrasha
good friend of mine is a lefty who just recently started playing, and actually decided to play righty just for the sake of gear availibility. it hasnt been much of a handicap for him in my opinion, however, if you are sure you wanna stick with lefty playin, id probably get a left handed guitar, just because flippin your strings around an settin up guitars that way, defniitely sucks

I wonder how much faster he'd progress if he played left handed.
im a lefty and learned righty, because i was given a guitar that was righty and jsut learned that way. same thing with drums
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I'm a lefty, and I learned righty, because more guitars are made righty.

My left hand has far better rhythm then my left, so I could strum alot better. And my right has better finger control then my left. I COULD play right handed, but I'd never get as good as I could get.

It'd be trying to be an artist back when they forced you to use your right hand. Me and you wouldn't be able to get as good as we could. I don't HAVE to use play right handed, so I won't.

I'm sure everyone knows how weird it is to hold a pencil in the other hand, the one you don't normally use. It feels weird, and you can't write for crap. You can't even draw a straight line longer then 3 inches.
im lefty and learned righty too. my first guitar (acoustic) was righty, so i just got used to righties.
Me, I'm lefty in everything. When I first started playing things didnt feel good right handed so i played lefty. Early on though I decided that guitar makers and players have it all wrong. The more difficult work playing guitar "right handed" is done with the left hand.

But either way guitar is such a unique exercise for either hand, it doesn't really matter which you pick, either requires completely new and original movements with both hands.

So if it doesn't matter physically which one you pick, go for "rightie" guitars, as they are more available.

Heh I still play air guitar lefty but playing a real guitar left handed is so awkward.

Anyway thats my thoughts on the subject.

- Dressner
i dont know. i would go with wat u know. left handed which is wat u r. dont play right cuz ur a lefty. i cant do nething left handed. but yea....play left
Quote by Dressner
Me, I'm lefty in everything. When I first started playing things didnt feel good right handed so i played lefty. Early on though I decided that guitar makers and players have it all wrong. The more difficult work playing guitar "right handed" is done with the left hand.

But either way guitar is such a unique exercise for either hand, it doesn't really matter which you pick, either requires completely new and original movements with both hands.

So if it doesn't matter physically which one you pick, go for "rightie" guitars, as they are more available.

Heh I still play air guitar lefty but playing a real guitar left handed is so awkward.

Anyway thats my thoughts on the subject.

- Dressner

I guess. But then again, left handed people, play guitar differently then right handed people, so that's why we "play" left handed. However, if I did go with a right handed guitar, I'd have to flip it, would that cause problems?
I write left-handed, but play sports with my right hand, so I guess I make small, dexterous motions with my left hand and large motions with my right hand. I'm pretty ambidextrous, but I like to say I'm left-handed. I was originally going to learn to play guitar left handed, but due to left-handed guitars being more expensive and there being a limited selection, I started as a righty. I'm doing fine, and it feels comfortable. Just like ark said, it'll be uncomfortable no matter what if you're beginning. If you're left handed, chances are you're more dexterous in your left hand. That should make fretting easier. I would just go right handed due to gear selection.

EDIT: Just remembered, there are some famous guitarists who are left-handed but play a guitar right-handed. I can only remember Herman Li of Dragonforce atm (let's keep this thread clean guys :p)
Last edited by Serendipity at Feb 26, 2007,
Quote by Serendipity
I write left-handed, but play sports with my right hand, so I guess I make small, dexterous motions with my left hand and large motions with my right hand. I'm pretty ambidextrous, but I like to say I'm left-handed. I was originally going to learn to play guitar left handed, but due to left-handed guitars being more expensive and there being a limited selection, I started as a righty. I'm doing fine, and it feels comfortable. Just like ark said, it'll be uncomfortable no matter what if you're beginning. If you're left handed, chances are you're more dexterous in your left hand. That should make fretting easier. I would just go right handed due to gear selection.

EDIT: Just remembered, there are some famous guitarists who are left-handed but play a guitar right-handed. I can only remember Herman Li of Dragonforce atm (let's keep this thread clean guys :p)

The thing is, that's not the case for me. I don't feel awkward holding a guitar left handed. It feels right. It feels natural. Right handed? Nope. My left hand doesn't have the accuracy of my right for playing the frets, and my right hand doesn't have the rhythm and control of my left hand for strumming.

Most people who claim to be left handed, aren't really. They write left handed, and do everything else with the right. I do most things with my left, except catching and throwing.

And what's weird is I feel more comfortable arm wresting with my right, but my left arm is stronger. It'd weird.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
lol, what's a mab?

Yes but you'd need to replace the nut to a lefty so you can re-string with the high E at the bottom.

The nut? I wouldn't restring it, I'd hire some guitar person to do it for me, so I'd HOPE he knew what he was doing.
I am a lefty and I play righty(1.5 years). I think of it as an advantage. I can't gallop very good yet, and I am not a good tremolo picker, but damn, do I have some legato skills! The muscles for guitar need to build, and your hands are both probably pretty weak. I can downpick faster than anyone I know though because my right hand muscles were easily conditioned for it because they are not conditioned for writing and such. the "feeling right" is a placebo affect, put there by your mind.

edit: I do everything besides wipe my butt with my left hand.
Last edited by gunther_sucks at Feb 26, 2007,
I dunno. Most people seem to play righty solely for the fact that they have more options, ignoring the fact that lefty is what felt natural at first. You wouldn't give a righty a left handed guitar for the hell of it.

You may not realize, but I can tell that if I want to get as good as I can get, left handed will be the route I have to take. I think of it as unique.

With enough work a left handed person can learn to write with the right hand, but only after lots of work.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
I dunno. Most people seem to play righty solely for the fact that they have more options, ignoring the fact that lefty is what felt natural at first. You wouldn't give a righty a left handed guitar for the hell of it.

You may not realize, but I can tell that if I want to get as good as I can get, left handed will be the route I have to take. I think of it as unique.

With enough work a left handed person can learn to write with the right hand, but only after lots of work.

How much practice have you had writing lefty? How much with the right hand? You have 12 years experience writing left handed when you graduate. 0 years right. Of course it takes time! You have already spent all this time learning to write with your left!

You have 0 years guitar experience. It won't really make a difference, but it seems like you've made up your mind, why even ask for our opinions? You are obviously more interested in being "unique", rather than listening to the voice of reason. I can tell you that you know jack shit when it comes to how good you can be, it's all placebo, you instilled that feeling, probably by thinking of hendrix.

If you are that dead set on a lefty guitar, save up alot of money and get the nicest guitar you can afford, and then never sell it. Don't flip the guitar, it is not practical. Restringing it can also cause potential problems.
Quote by gunther_sucks
How much practice have you had writing lefty? How much with the right hand? You have 12 years experience writing left handed when you graduate. 0 years right. Of course it takes time! You have already spent all this time learning to write with your left!

You have 0 years guitar experience. It won't really make a difference, but it seems like you've made up your mind, why even ask for our opinions? You are obviously more interested in being "unique", rather than listening to the voice of reason. I can tell you that you know jack shit when it comes to how good you can be, it's all placebo, you instilled that feeling, probably by thinking of hendrix.

If you are that dead set on a lefty guitar, save up alot of money and get the nicest guitar you can afford, and then never sell it. Don't flip the guitar, it is not practical. Restringing it can also cause potential problems.

The way I see it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If writing left handed feels right, it's what feels right. And yes, I've zero years expereince, but I have held and to a limited degree played guitars before, but at the time, didn't realize I was holding them upside down.

I'm not intrested in being unique, I'm interested in playing the way that feels right to me. I could careless about being unique. When I saw pictures and saw how they were holding the guitar different, I DIDN'T want to play left handed, because I didn't wanna be in my situation now. No guitars I want are left handed.

It's not a matter of "oh I can be cool". It's a matter of you guys deciding you'll give up what feels right for variety in guitar choices. I'm not. As much as I'd like to have hundreds of choices, if they don't feel right, they don't feel right, and I'm not gonna go old school and hit my left hand with a ruler everything I try to play left handed until I forced myself to play right handed.

This isn't a pair of scissors you can just get use to. Sorry, but I take offense to you telling me I just wanna be "unique". It's the total opposite. I didn't make up my mind. I made up my mind on playing left handed yea, because that's not gonna change. It's what feels right. What I didn't know, is would playing an upside down right handed guitar cause any problems.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
The way I see it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If writing left handed feels right, it's what feels right. And yes, I've zero years expereince, but I have held and to a limited degree played guitars before, but at the time, didn't realize I was holding them upside down.

I'm not intrested in being unique, I'm interested in playing the way that feels right to me. I could careless about being unique. When I saw pictures and saw how they were holding the guitar different, I DIDN'T want to play left handed, because I didn't wanna be in my situation now. No guitars I want are left handed.

It's not a matter of "oh I can be cool". It's a matter of you guys deciding you'll give up what feels right for variety in guitar choices. I'm not. As much as I'd like to have hundreds of choices, if they don't feel right, they don't feel right, and I'm not gonna go old school and hit my left hand with a ruler everything I try to play left handed until I forced myself to play right handed.

This isn't a pair of scissors you can just get use to. Sorry, but I take offense to you telling me I just wanna be "unique". It's the total opposite. I didn't make up my mind. I made up my mind on playing left handed yea, because that's not gonna change. It's what feels right. What I didn't know, is would playing an upside down right handed guitar cause any problems.

Playing guitar feels extremely natural to me, as does everything that requires practice. I never had to make a sacrifice, cause both ways were awkward. Sure lefty may have been a TINY amount better, but withing 3 weeks I was feeling pretty comfortable playing guitar.

I never said it was to be cool, I think lefty players look dumb personally.
I'll use your example of writing, was writing comfortable when you started? I can guaruntee you it wasn't.

Why do you take offense to me saying you jsut wanna be unique? You said yourself "I think of it as unique", why did you include that if you don't care about it?!

As far as me ragging on you for not considering advice, honestly, I didn't remember what you wrote in your first post:P. You said you were haveing problems finding guitars and I gave you a solution: play righty. I don't feel uncomfortable, and I can buy and sell used guitars in any volume I want. It's great advice, but if you are going to be stubborn and be hung up on this it feels right crap, go right ahead, you are just shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.

If you are going to write about the feeling right thing anymore, scratch it, and just call me dumb. It would be just as efficient.

edit: as to the pair of scissors getting used to reference: It is EXACTLY like that, just more complex and takes more time. It can be learned efficiently either way.
I don't need practice to know that throwing a ball with a particular hand feels natural. I need practice to get better at it.

I'm not calling you dumb. But I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult me because I feel comfortable playing left handed. If feel awkward holding it the other way. My hands aren't up to the level I would if I were to play it left handed. So if I feels better, and I have better control that way, that's the way I want to play it.

You seem to have taken personal offense to the fact that I didn't take your advice. I don't want to train myself to do it another way. What for?

Hell, all of your advice is based on a question I didn't even ask.

I don't think I would feel better of playing righty. So if you don't have some advice on whether or not flipping a right handed guitar upside down and restringing it would cause problems, let's just stop talking. I'm sorry you take such offense to the way I choose to hold a piece of wood.
Last edited by Symphonic Waves at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by Symphonic Waves
I don't need practice to know that throwing a ball with a particular hand feels natural. I need practice to get better at it.

I'm not calling you dumb. But I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult me because I feel comfortable playing left handed. If feel awkward holding it the other way. My hands aren't up to the level I would if I were to play it left handed. So if I feels better, and I have better control that way, that's the way I want to play it.

You seem to have taken personal offense to the fact that I didn't take your advice. I don't want to train myself to do it another way. What for?

Hell, all of your advice is based on a question I didn't even ask.

I don't think I would feel better of playing righty. So if you have some advice on whether or not flipping a right handed guitar upside down and restringing it would cause problems, let's just stop talking. I'm sorry you take such offense to the way I choose to hold a piece of wood.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just saying you are making assumptions that I have found through my own experiences to be false, and I am just trying to stop you from making a mistake. Since you have decided I will leave it at that.

I wouldn't flip it personally, because I should see some potential for warping of the neck, but you could probably flip it no problem. If it is a locking nut you could do it yourself.

And quoting a previous post of mine:

Save up and get what you like and will keep. Good luck in your guitar endeavors.
Last edited by gunther_sucks at Feb 27, 2007,
stop converting him to right hand, guys.

if left handed feels more comfortable, then do it. most mainstream guitars you can get in left handed versions. they will be about 100 dollars more than the right hand counterparts (IME)
i am left handed, but i play right handed, because it felt more natural to me. i can do some left handed stuff, but i feel like im starting over again.

so find a used left handed guitar on ebay, and start learning.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by gunther_sucks
I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just saying you are making assumptions that I have found through my own experiences to be false, and I am just trying to stop you from making a mistake. Since you have decided I will leave it at that.

I wouldn't flip it personally, because I should see some potential for warping of the neck, but you could probably flip it no problem. If it is a locking nut you could do it yourself.

And quoting a previous post of mine:

Save up and get what you like and will keep. Good luck in your guitar endeavors.

Thank you. I didn't mean to argue with you. But what works for some, may not work for others. And I guess I'm one of those others. Sure I'm not the only one. I don't think I am making a mistake. I know what I feel comfortable with. They must make left handed guitars for a reason.

I'm sure if there were half as many choices for left handed guitars, more people would use them.
Last edited by Symphonic Waves at Feb 27, 2007,
I'll go to stores and try to get a feel for playing right handed. Maybe it is just practice I need, I dunno. Though it feels weird as hell. I'll check out some music stores when I get home from my classes.

It doesn't make sense though. The right hand is doing more work.
It seems left handed can play right, can right handed play left?

Maybe I'm part of the left handed players who can play right. I dunno, never tried.
Quote by Symphonic Waves
It seems left handed can play right, can right handed play left?

Maybe I'm part of the left handed players who can play right. I dunno, never tried.

That's what I've been saying man!

I mean I never tried EXTENSIVELY. I never tried with the sole purpose of building up my right hand. I'm just confused as to the way they describe it to you.
Page 1 of 2