Would 9-42's be too floppy?. I need to play fast leads so they cant be too heavy
Yes? Is this a serious question? 9-42 would be floppy in drop D, let alone B.

Get a seven string, or better yet, a bassist.
Light Top Heavy Bottom - .10-.52 - nice for leads without feeling like wires and the rhythm isn't muddy.
get the zakk wylde boomers they got 10s on the highs, and the "E" string if you will is .70, then the a is low sixties or high 50's or something like that either way, theyre perfect for drop C and B tuning, mostly because they hurt like hell to play in anything higher than that
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
i play in drop b, i actually can get a solid non floppy sound with .11s, i use dean markley which are a tighter wound string, but most other strings id say .12s, or look into a baritone the longer scale will allow you to use .10s and play in drop b
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
i play in drop b, i actually can get a solid non floppy sound with .11s, i use dean markley which are a tighter wound string, but most other strings id say .12s, or look into a baritone the longer scale will allow you to use .10s and play in drop b

ahh i never knew that..ps you arent from slipknot are you?
I use DR 52-12s for drop B flat
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
12-52s. i use Elixers. They only got floppy once i get to F#, which i WENT IN BECAUSE I WAS JUST MESSING AROUND. sorry for the caps i have a ****tard next to me.
haha no im not from slipknot, ive met most of the members tho, i actually started playing in drop b to get more eerie sounding chords and appregios
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I use Dean Markley Jazz 12s for B tuning (BEADF#B).
The strings are still a little floppy.
There is string buzz on the bass strings.
I am thinking of trying the Dean Markley DT 13s at some point.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
^^^ really, ive been using blue steel .11s for along time, most of my necks are 24 frets so the longer scale on my ltds could explain that
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Yep.
My Ibanez is 24 fret, but I'm not sure of the scale length.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
^^

if it's not a baritone and a super-strat or strat style
it'll be around 25.5" scale... (I think)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GHS-Zakk-Wylde-Lo-Tune-Signature-Strings?sku=100447

Gives perfect tension, tons of bottom end. Will need to get used to the thickness.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~