my friend {the drummer} thinks that the bass drum is more important than the bass guitar so if i can get any support here thanks
Fuck the both of you.

How 'bout instead of arguing over what's most important you guys work together to make decent music?
haha
Uh.....how can you really compare the two?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
The bass guitar and the bass drum are best when they are working together to make a cohesive unit work.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Fuck the both of you.

How 'bout instead of arguing over what's most important you guys work together to make decent music?

thats what ive been trying to tell him but he just doesnt want to listing
Quote by ledzephlin
thats what ive been trying to tell him but he just doesnt want to listing

So you make a thread about it?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by ledzephlin
my friend {the drummer} thinks that the bass drum is more important than the bass guitar so if i can get any support here thanks

Wow, if that's the level of your discussions, you've got bigger issues than this argument. It's beyond even comparing apples to oranges, to use the hackneyed phrase.
Quote by anarkee
Wow, if that's the level of your discussions, you've got bigger issues than this argument. It's beyond even comparing apples to oranges, to use the hackneyed phrase.

true
between the two....REGULAR GUITAR FTW!

i dont know. im guessing together tho, not really comparable
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
It's not like comparing apples to oranges; it's like comparing apples to the number 6.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
il go ahead and compare anyways cuz im bored

the bass drum is what sets the time signature of the song...obviously its important and sounds good with anything(thus not using a bass drum in a song makes the song sound like its lacking something. Listen to a song called the nameless by Slipknot and try to imagine what it would sound like without bass drum) but the bass guitar is extremely important because it sets what the song is going to sound like. You add guitar on that...some solos and riffs and such to make ti a complete song. In a band these days, it would be toooo weird to have a band that is drums and guitar but no bass. However drums and bass is exceptable. One example of this is Group X(shfifty five).

and this is my own opinion..i think bass guitar is more important in a song. What if you have a song that's slow and not needed much of a big BOOM sound. Bass guitar is useful for most kinds of music. Rap, rock(all kinds) you could even say country and pop/disco etc.
My gear:
Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg BA115
there both pretty important. but I think working without a bass drum would be better than working without a bass.
FWIW, The Violent Femmes and most Jazz bands using standup drumkits don't have bass drums. They do, however, have bass players.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i prefer both

this is really stupid btw...
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
dumb topic but...

bass guitar is way more important. Bass drum just keeps the song going but isn't need because the bass does that and more. Bass guitar is what links the drummer to guitars.

Drum keeps song moving

Bass lays down a foundation and keeps the song moving

Guitar adds to that foundation

So really out of all the instruments the bass guitar is the most important if not only your need it for the song to work (well). Bass guitar is the what makes a song... plus if you didn't have one then, well, you would have no bass and that would suck at a concert because that is one of the best things about concerts is the ground shaking whenever a string of the base is touched.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Feb 27, 2007,
I'm sure none of you guys are biased! lol

Considering the fact that rock music in general has its roots in African rhythm traditions, I would have to say that the bass drum is more of a cornerstone. It is the most basic rhythm element, because it sets the beat without belonging to any musical key.

Percussion instruments set the time and time is the single most important aspect in music. This is not an issue of which instrument is more important, because technically, you don't need either. However, from an anthropological point of view, the beat is the primary musical foundation.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Fuck the both of you.

Quote by Cobalt Blue
there both pretty important. but I think working without a bass drum would be better than working without a bass.

The bass drum is the most vital part of the beat. I'd pick it over using a snare. The bass just adds extra sound to the song, and I have seen bands do without bassists.
The bass drum is the heartbeat or timekeeper in a drum set, (which is why as a bass player you need to key on that pulse.) TheFitz was right in expanding my original comment of it being beyond apples and oranges. You are taking one function in the drum set (bass drum/ timekeeper) and comparing it to the functions of an entire instrument (bass guitar). Its a weird and IMHO, pointless discussion.

One comment though, the two times I've seen the Violent femmes live, the drummer has had a small bass drum, a ride cymbal and a snare. And most of the top jazz drummers have at least as much, so its a rare thing to see a rock or jazz drummer without at least a bass drum, snare and one cymbal (ride or hi-hat).
Quote by thefitz
It's not like comparing apples to oranges; it's like comparing apples to the number 6.

6 FTW!
They're both as important as each other.... however, in my knowledge and experience.... how come when Larry Graham didn't have a drummer, it sounded so good (the creation of slapping is tied HEAVILY with that fact), and when my old drummer didn't use the bass drum (IN A METAL BAND) it sounded crap?
When I saw Richard Thompson last year, it was just him and Danny Thompson on double bass and it was amazing! The absence of a drummer didn't really matter at all. But yeah bass drums and bass guitars can't really be compared, they work together but are completely different.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!